Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Prime Day: 23andMe DNA Test - Health + Ancestry $129

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 2:19 am
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4241 posts
1295 upvotes
So I bought the $69 version just for ethnicity and from my understanding, it's better to buy that instead of the $129 one because the raw data you can download from their website on just the $69 one has all the info you need to plug into other free or low cost DNA analyzing sites and get those health results in the end. In other words, the $69 and $129 test are identical it's just the full results are paywalled on the cheaper one.

Admittedly, I don't really care too much about ethnicity portion, but the health stuff and possible health complications could be really useful.

edit: Here's one sample (not mine) taking raw data to another site...

https://files.snpedia.com/reports/prome ... d_ui2.html

2x risk of Alzheimer's disease
7x risk of male baldness
1.5x - 2x increased risk for cervical cancer, HNSCC, and breast cancer
2 - 3x higher prostate cancer risk if routinely exposed to the pesticide fonofos
and so on.

Looks a lot more complex, but saves money and interesting nonetheless.
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
I'd reccommend only uploading to Promethease if you're not going to freak out over scary sounding things like 10 times increased chance of X horrible disease, because 10 times more than a tiny chance is still a tiny chance. My results read like: 5X increased chance for breast cancer, 3X increased chance for breast cancer, 7X decreased chance for breast cancer etc, a lot of it cancels itself out and even when it doesn't, it's not a diagnosis.
Mar 20, 2016
292 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver
RiCHC3 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 6:58 pm
So I bought the $69 version just for ethnicity and from my understanding, it's better to buy that instead of the $129 one because the raw data you can download from their website on just the $69 one has all the info you need to plug into other free or low cost DNA analyzing sites and get those health results in the end. In other words, the $69 and $129 test are identical it's just the full results are paywalled on the cheaper one.

Admittedly, I don't really care too much about ethnicity portion, but the health stuff and possible health complications could be really useful.
Looks a lot more complex, but saves money and interesting nonetheless.
Yes correct, promethease is a good free report.
Another useful one, but cost is $10 for the full report: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1026 posts
538 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:05 pm
It sounds like you have used the service. I am interested in buying but skeptical that it might be like reading my horoscope.. can you sell me some more?
I'm the same way... However curious to know my family lineage at the same time. Joe Rogan promotes this on his podcast. Doubt he'll promote garbage I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5236 posts
886 upvotes
liftinpeanuts wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:11 pm
What do you want to know? I bought the 23andme kit for $199 and was happy with it. It gave me peace of mind regarding my genetics (one of my grandfathers had dementia and I do not have signs of getting it) and it helped me tailor my vitamin D and E intake.
Sounds like horse crap
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
Also something to note is that the FDA cracked down on consumer DNA tests being used for medical diagnoses, Promethease was forced to remove a bunch of SNPs that were interesting. My report from a year ago had a lot more info in it than the one I did for my dad earlier this year. The previous one had info on medications etc, which was removed. I assume 23 and me must comply with the same ruling.
If you just want the pure DNA data dump for something like Promethease, Ancestry.com is a better deal, it includes more SNPs and it’s cheaper. There’s an active subreddit for snpedia and Promethease that’s helpful.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2438 posts
1838 upvotes
Oakville
TitusBobby wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 4:39 pm
Its great. Helped me figure out why I was feeling so bloated after drinking milk. Turns out I have the lactose intolerance gene
Everyone has the lactose tolerance gene, it's a matter of if it's active or not.
-ZdpZ... ;)
[OP]
Dec 31, 2007
373 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
hazelsmrf wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 8:55 pm
Also something to note is that the FDA cracked down on consumer DNA tests being used for medical diagnoses, Promethease was forced to remove a bunch of SNPs that were interesting. My report from a year ago had a lot more info in it than the one I did for my dad earlier this year. The previous one had info on medications etc, which was removed. I assume 23 and me must comply with the same ruling.
If you just want the pure DNA data dump for something like Promethease, Ancestry.com is a better deal, it includes more SNPs and it’s cheaper. There’s an active subreddit for snpedia and Promethease that’s helpful.
I’m so lost. I don’t have a clue about anything of these other programs... are you suggesting I should just buy ancestry ? Would that give me illness info ?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
1004 posts
235 upvotes
Can you use a fake name when uploading the results to "anonymize" the results? Or is there some type of ID verification process involved?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2024 posts
385 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 10:01 pm
I’m so lost. I don’t have a clue about anything of these other programs... are you suggesting I should just buy ancestry ? Would that give me illness info ?
Since you don't know what's going on, you should sign up for the deal in your OP. It provides everything you want without managing multiple sites with your genetics.
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 10:01 pm
Yes, I'd suggest getting the Ancestry.com one like this: https://www.amazon.ca/AncestryDNA-Genet ... 00TRLVKW0/
It contains more raw DNA data than the 23 and me test, so you'll have more health information but it won't be packaged up all pretty for you, you'll have to go search for it yourself by parsing the data through a service like Promethease.

Taken directly from the snpedia site:

Ancestry.com uses Illumina OmniExpress Plus, reporting all SNP's on that chip for $99. Current users will receive data for about ~53,000 of the SNPs in SNPedia. ~25,000 of these are in ClinVar.

23andMe Both the $99 "ancestry only" product and the $199 "ancestry + health" product are useable with Promethease, and the raw data is identical from both products and therefore results in exactly the same Promethease report. One time payment, lifetime membership. Both products use the (same) customized Illumina chip which covers 24648 of the 110322 SNPs in SNPedia. Less than 2,000 of these are known to be in ClinVar; presumably some of the proprietarily named "i-SNPs" correspond to ClinVar/SNPedia entries as well but 23andMe does not reveal which publicly or to its non-corporate users.

So basically, if you're using Promethease then the Ancestry.com data dump contains twice the amount of SNPs over 23 and Me. And both the ancestry only and the health + ancestry give you the exact same results, you're only paying more for the health for them to package the information up all pretty for you on their website. Promethease will give you more information than 23 and me, but it won't be dumbed down or as user friendly. I think the no-brainer answer is to spend less on the ancestry.com version, and use promethease to get the most information for the least money, assuming you're at all interested into really digging into the results.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1628 posts
1243 upvotes
Alberta
My family has too many skeletons in the closet...better not get involved with these tests in case LE gets a hand on my/my family's DNA without a court order.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2007
373 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
hazelsmrf wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 10:10 pm
Yes, I'd suggest getting the Ancestry.com one like this: https://www.amazon.ca/AncestryDNA-Genet ... 00TRLVKW0/
It contains more raw DNA data than the 23 and me test, so you'll have more health information but it won't be packaged up all pretty for you, you'll have to go search for it yourself by parsing the data through a service like Promethease.

Taken directly from the snpedia site:

Ancestry.com uses Illumina OmniExpress Plus, reporting all SNP's on that chip for $99. Current users will receive data for about ~53,000 of the SNPs in SNPedia. ~25,000 of these are in ClinVar.

23andMe Both the $99 "ancestry only" product and the $199 "ancestry + health" product are useable with Promethease, and the raw data is identical from both products and therefore results in exactly the same Promethease report. One time payment, lifetime membership. Both products use the (same) customized Illumina chip which covers 24648 of the 110322 SNPs in SNPedia. Less than 2,000 of these are known to be in ClinVar; presumably some of the proprietarily named "i-SNPs" correspond to ClinVar/SNPedia entries as well but 23andMe does not reveal which publicly or to its non-corporate users.

So basically, if you're using Promethease then the Ancestry.com data dump contains twice the amount of SNPs over 23 and Me. And both the ancestry only and the health + ancestry give you the exact same results, you're only paying more for the health for them to package the information up all pretty for you on their website. Promethease will give you more information than 23 and me, but it won't be dumbed down or as user friendly. I think the no-brainer answer is to spend less on the ancestry.com version, and use promethease to get the most information for the least money, assuming you're at all interested into really digging into the results.

Damn this is a total game changer. I want to believe you because I’m really interested but still think the $129 is pricey for me considering my parents are immigrants and I don’t think their will be much info for me..

Hmm but is Promethease really accurate ? Are you saying that ancestry will still have the health aspect hidden in the data which can be revealed through Promethease ? Or is prome guessing the healthy aspect based on ancestry info ?

Thanks for your info and help btw
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
Well it shows that it's on sale for me at 70$, not 129$. But yeah, if it's not on sale, wait for a sale, they do go on sale several times per year.

I'm not sure if you're really understanding what Promethease, or the 23 and Me report will show you.

The raw DNA data that you'll get from a place like Ancestry.com or 23&Me will look something like this (this is a cut and paste from my own DNA data dump)

reference.
rsid chromosome position allele1 allele2
rs190214723 1 693625 T T
rs3131972 1 752721 G G
rs4986782 8 18080116 A G

So basically it shows that on chromosome 1 at position 693625 I have the T and T alleles. (One from each parent). And on chromosome 8 at position 18080116 I have the A and G alleles. Basically the data dump will be like that but with a ton more entries.

You could manually look up each one of these SNPs (the RS number at the beginning) via SNpedia.
So for example, this one corresponds to my alleles for this SNP:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs4986782(A;G)
It links to the pubmed for the research currently available on this correlation.

What promethease does is that it takes your data dump and parses it, and looks up all of the SNPs and tells you in one spot what it found and what is actually relevant, it'll rank things in order of magnitude, how important or interesting they are.

My Promethease report for this same SNP looks like this:

It shows that this SNP is interesting, and rare, only 2.7% of caucasians in their sample have the same alleles, most have G;G.

What it doesn't do is diagnose ANYTHING. It shows that there is a correlation between this specific SNP and smoking induced lung cancer, but I could smoke my whole life and never get lung cancer. It's *interesting* to me though.

23&Me will take their data and show it to you in a different way, I find this way a lot less useful but maybe it's easier for some:
https://education.23andme.com/example-reports/
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1982 posts
335 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
thank you hazelsmrf. I ordered the $69 ancestry.com one earlier today.

I planned on using prometheus for the health side. I'm adopted and have no family medical history and only vague info in regards to my birth parents. we'll see how it goes,if I even ordered the correct one....reading the description of the $69 ancestry.com one it appears to include access to the raw data?
Woodstock, ON