• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 2:19 am
Nov 24, 2006
674 posts
110 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
crashxxx wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 10:54 pm
thank you hazelsmrf. I ordered the $69 ancestry.com one earlier today.

I planned on using prometheus for the health side. I'm adopted and have no family medical history and only vague info in regards to my birth parents. we'll see how it goes,if I even ordered the correct one....reading the description of the $69 ancestry.com one it appears to include access to the raw data?
Yes you can download the raw data, it's just a huge txt file zipped up.

Just keep in mind that the health information will not tell you very much at all, this is not a complete genome sequencing. I mean it tells me that my dad has an increased chance of male pattern baldness, and hey, he is bald. But he could have figured that out on his own. He could have been completely not bald though. These are only correlations, they don't tell you that you have a disease. It'll say that you have an increased chance of having ADHD, but you either have it or you don't, and you likely already knew it. It can say that you have an increased chance of getting prostate cancer, but nobody has a crystal ball to tell you if you'll actually get prostate cancer. Will finding this information out make you freak out every time you feel something weird? Or can you look at it completely objectively, because some people can't. And really if you're the type of person that thinks they have brain cancer when they have a headache because they googled the symptoms, then really you do NOT want to find out this information :) But if you are just curious to see what your DNA contains, it can be interesting! It can make some things clear in hindsight, but using it to predict something is not something I'd attempt to do. For example, I have ADHD, and I have the "warrior" gene which is linked to lower dopamine levels. These things seem to go hand in hand, it's interesting to me. But you might have the warrior gene and not have ADHD. Or you might have ADHD and not have it. It's nothing you can use to diagnose anything, it's a SMALL piece of the puzzle. Also, these SNPS are cumulative. So if you have a 10x chance for Alzheimers, and a 5X chance, and a 7x chance, then you have a 22x chance. But NO data dump is a complete genome sequence, so there are a lot of SNPS that it didn't search for and that aren't included in your data dump. Maybe there were SNPs that Ancestry or 23&Me don't test for that would have shown that you had a 20x decreased chance of Alzheimers. You can't know that. You'll get insight into a tiny portion of your DNA, and for all you know the rest of the information you don't see might contradict it. Unless you spend hundreds more on a complete sequence, this is novelty at best.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2007
373 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
nvm deal deadddd

Edit ** no it's not actually !! it's still working!
[OP]
Dec 31, 2007
373 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
I have to be honest, I am afraid to give my DNA away.

I don't want to be framed for anything... anything can happen, right?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1428 posts
1349 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 1:30 am
I have to be honest, I am afraid to give my DNA away.

I don't want to be framed for anything... anything can happen, right?
You've already given your DNA many times before. DNA is cheap and readily available everywhere throughout the health care system.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2007
373 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
thelasthunter wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 1:37 am
You've already given your DNA many times before. DNA is cheap and readily available everywhere throughout the health care system.
But they didn't keep my DNA.