[Amazon Canada] Prime Day Fire TV Stick Sale: 4K $44.99; Non-4K $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2019 3:27 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1443 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
I've being waiting for a sale to get my hands on another one. Fire TV Stick 4k is awesome, especially for IPTV, better than MAG devices.
Jan 10, 2007
444 posts
535 upvotes
FlagDealer99 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:35 pm
Are there any cons to having one stick and moving it between TV rooms as needed? I plan on using it for Plex downstairs and regular streaming upstairs. Is it essentially plug-and-play?
After the easy initial setup, it is plug and play on the same network. You can easily switch tv's or monitors. You can even take it to another network while travelling - just select the right network password.

The on/off and volume buttons on the remote might not work for TV control since remote codes for different TV brands can be different but that's a small inconvenience. If the TV's are different set up the remote for the main TV. If you like it is also easy to reset the remote for a different TV.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1273 posts
325 upvotes
Halton
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:01 pm
Great device. Don't give to parents for IPTV, especially tech-illiterate mothers.

Otherwise great.
what about as a kodi device.... would it work well for that?
Aug 21, 2017
27 posts
14 upvotes
Works great for Kodi. I have the Shield in the Bonus Room and the 4K Fire Stick downstairs. While the Shield kills it (obvious at that price) the Fire Stick is more than enough to run Kodi.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3788 posts
1639 upvotes
Canada
Cnet and Tomsguide are reporting even better prices for Amazon.com. Might be an option for those with family in the US.

Prime Day Fire TV deals
Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, just $15USD.
Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, just $25USD.

Fire TV Cube, just $70 USD.
Fire TV Recast, now starting at just $130USD.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8639 posts
1229 upvotes
Victoria
This is tempting. We use the old ps3 as the media box for our TV. The problem is that it's pretty old and is slowly losing support for different apps. I think we're down to netflix and youtube.

This seems to support everything. Kodi/Netflix/Prime/TuneIn/NHL TV. All the stuff we use. Looks pretty tempting. The only problem is I've never tried to run a stick in the USB ports on my TV. It's a 4 year old Samsung 60" 1080p TV. I'm guessing it would work... sticks have been a thing for a while?
Last edited by zod on Jul 12th, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3946 posts
1733 upvotes
I’m curious, why can’t I watch 4K Prime Video content on my TV via the website on a desktop, but you can watch 4K with the 4K stick?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1718 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
4K stick is the only way to go even if you don't have a 4K TV. The Non-4K version is laggy when flipping through the interface (for my standard anyway).
Dec 24, 2017
647 posts
568 upvotes
Does anyone know if it's possible to get HGTV streaming in Canada using this device?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3404 posts
621 upvotes
zylonite wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:14 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to get HGTV streaming in Canada using this device?
Believe you can buy HGTV through Amazon Prime Channels and watch on this device
Sep 12, 2002
170 posts
33 upvotes
Canada
Anybody know if those Fire TV stick can stream media from a local media server such as UMS (Universal Media Server)
Dec 24, 2007
883 posts
803 upvotes
BC
trinxified wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:37 pm
What's the point of this device if you have a smart TV that has the apps already?
Because the FireOS is basically Android OS, which you can install any apps you want and not limited to what your TV manufacturer or Amazon gives you.

So, you can install Kodi if that's your thing or any other streaming app that you can easily find elsewhere, or security monitor, or digital picture frame, or Retrogame emulator, or whatever you might have on your phone/tablet.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1818 posts
977 upvotes
Fredericton
If anyone has both, would there be any benefit to getting the 4K stick if I already own a Mi Box 3? I like the Mi Box a lot.
Koodo - $39/10GB
Koodo - $70 Huawei P20
Dec 24, 2007
883 posts
803 upvotes
BC
System wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:21 pm
Anybody know if those Fire TV stick can stream media from a local media server such as UMS (Universal Media Server)
I use the Amazon AppStore free Plex player that you can install. Just have to run Plex server on your computer on same wireless network.

Don't know about UMS but most likely possible if there is an Android app player for the server.