• Jul 30th, 2019 3:27 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30499 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
jfmartel wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 1:32 am
nice thing about prime is that it doesn't have tiers like netflix, so it should support 4k by default?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
1065 posts
1200 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 2:14 pm
nice thing about prime is that it doesn't have tiers like netflix, so it should support 4k by default?
Yes, if you have the 4k stick.
Dec 14, 2009
42 posts
21 upvotes
BC
Does anyone else have their app descriptions written in French?

Specifically, Spotify and Youtube.

I had my language set to English Canada. I switched it to English US and it is still in French.
Jul 18, 2007
299 posts
15 upvotes
Do you guys bother with VPNs? I've never used VPN when I stream on my PC, only torrents but I read you need it for firestick?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16213 posts
4340 upvotes
Lukus2017 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2019 1:24 am
Sorry, I edited my post to include the OTG cable that is required to connect it the Firestick. It works great, I use them personally.
So, unlike an Androud TV box like a Nexus, Xiaomi Mi Box or Nvidia Shield, you NEED to use OTG cables? Have not needed to use them with aforementioned devices for the last several iterations of the Android OS. Have only used standard cables and hubs and they work great with all those devices. That said, I COULD use the Ethernet plus hub device. Normally, I use a standard hub and connect one of the Gigabit Ethernet adapters I got from Toys R Us for $10 some months ago. All my Nexus and Xioami Mi boxes use them. But simplification would be a good alternative...
Jan 21, 2017
180 posts
137 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 8:54 am
So, unlike an Androud TV box like a Nexus, Xiaomi Mi Box or Nvidia Shield, you NEED to use OTG cables? Have not needed to use them with aforementioned devices for the last several iterations of the Android OS. Have only used standard cables and hubs and they work great with all those devices. That said, I COULD use the Ethernet plus hub device. Normally, I use a standard hub and connect one of the Gigabit Ethernet adapters I got from Toys R Us for $10 some months ago. All my Nexus and Xioami Mi boxes use them. But simplification would be a good alternative...
You don't have to buy anything else to make the Firestick 4K work and most people I suspect, don't. My internet, while fast, is not the most stable and I found that using an ethernet adapter made a significant difference so I use one (uGreen Gigabit). I also don't like typing using the remote, as good as it is, it's just tedious for me, so I wanted a mini wireless keyboard and I also have an external hard drive. The Firestick itself is not expandable so the hub and OTG cable was a must for me. Yes, the lack of expandability is its greatest downfall but its ease of us and portability can't be beaten.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2684 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
A couple things I miss about using the chromecast.

On android in the notification bar you'd have the ability to pause, stop, play media that was playing on the chromecast. Doesn't look like Fire TV has any kind of integration like that, same goes for the Google Home as I would use the voice commands to pause/stop the chromecast however I'd imagine an echo would have the ability to do something like that. If they could figure out #1 I wouldn't really need #2. The navigation is pretty smooth, I like it for the most part. There seems to be a lot of junk I don't care about on the home screen, perhaps I can customize it some more but haven't looked too deeply into it.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1925 posts
1538 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 8:54 am
The Fire TV Sticks only have one HDMI male output and one microUSB input (which is the only port capable of supplying power and of acting as USB host).
You cannot connect a USB hub (or a USB hub+ethernet) if you do not plug in first a OTG microUSB Y cable, to simultaneously provide both power to the Fire TV stick and a USB-A female port for external USB devices.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1925 posts
1538 upvotes
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 6:08 pm
A couple things I miss about using the chromecast.
On android in the notification bar you'd have the ability to pause, stop, play media that was playing on the chromecast. Doesn't look like Fire TV has any kind of integration like that, same goes for the Google Home as I would use the voice commands to pause/stop the chromecast however I'd imagine an echo would have the ability to do something like that. If they could figure out #1 I wouldn't really need #2. The navigation is pretty smooth, I like it for the most part. There seems to be a lot of junk I don't care about on the home screen, perhaps I can customize it some more but haven't looked too deeply into it.
If you install on your phone the Fire TV remote app (from Google Play), you can open that app on your phone screen, to use it as a full remote for the Fire TV (e.g. to pause, stop and play any media playing on the Fire TV); obviously you need to do a pairing first, but it is quick and painless). But you are correct, integration to the notification bar is not there...
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2684 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
ahoroba wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 11:01 pm
If you install on your phone the Fire TV remote app (from Google Play), you can open that app on your phone screen, to use it as a full remote for the Fire TV (e.g. to pause, stop and play any media playing on the Fire TV); obviously you need to do a pairing first, but it is quick and painless). But you are correct, integration to the notification bar is not there...
Yes thank you, I have done that actually but alas it's just not quite the same. The notification bar media controls is just seemless & automatic, it's always there so you don't have to think about opening any app. Hopefully it's something Amazon can bring to the Fire TV.
May 28, 2016
137 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs89 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 11:10 pm
Yes thank you, I have done that actually but alas it's just not quite the same. The notification bar media controls is just seemless & automatic, it's always there so you don't have to think about opening any app. Hopefully it's something Amazon can bring to the Fire TV.
IMO another appeal of the fire stick over chromecast is that you don't have to be tethered to your phone anymore. The included Alexa remote is pretty good for controlling media playback using the buttons or voice commands.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2054 posts
258 upvotes
Vancouver
This probably has been answered already but I am wondering how can I play my own videos off the firestick? Can I hookup a hard drive to it?
May 28, 2016
137 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
xiaobao wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 2:56 pm
This probably has been answered already but I am wondering how can I play my own videos off the firestick? Can I hookup a hard drive to it?
You will need a micro USB OTG y cable (w/ power) but the fire stick only supports usb storage formatted as FAT32 (4GB file size limit).

It will be better to stream from network storage / plex / KODI google drive add-on / etc.
Dec 24, 2007
881 posts
802 upvotes
BC
miorya wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 8:06 pm
Do you guys bother with VPNs? I've never used VPN when I stream on my PC, only torrents but I read you need it for firestick?
A firestick is just another device on a network, so your IP address can be picked up. Use a VPN, if you want to get around geoblocking as some of the apps are geared to the US market or paranoid about "copyright trolls" getting your IP address and suing you for damages for streaming, although that is highly unlikely due to a grey legal area around "temporary copy" when you stream Legal argument from Michael Geist. But never use torrents without a VPN even on a Firestick, be careful with the stream that your app picks as some may be torrent servers.