[Amazon Canada] Prime Day Fire TV Stick Sale: 4K $44.99; Non-4K $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2019 3:27 pm
May 13, 2012
16 posts
5 upvotes
System wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:21 pm
Anybody know if those Fire TV stick can stream media from a local media server such as UMS (Universal Media Server)
Im using VLC on it to access my media server and no problem there. way more convenient then using the cast function of VLC from my phone through chromecast (cell gets hot)
Feb 8, 2010
14 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
LD500 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:45 am
Anyone in Canada able to watch the Prime Day Concert with their FireTV? I didn't see it listed, rarely use it.
Possibly it's due to my FireTV being purchased from the USA many years ago
Yup, saw it live. Awsome! Watched it on my FireTv purchased from the US years ago.
Jul 8, 2008
282 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
fatestkid wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:08 pm
Cnet and Tomsguide are reporting even better prices for Amazon.com. Might be an option for those with family in the US.

Prime Day Fire TV deals
Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, just $15USD.
Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, just $25USD.

Fire TV Cube, just $70 USD.
Fire TV Recast, now starting at just $130USD.
is there a difference getting it from us or canada? not planning to get prime video, just watch some local video and other streaming content
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
11786 posts
21691 upvotes
Scarborough
zod wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:08 pm
The only problem is I've never tried to run a stick in the USB ports on my TV. It's a 4 year old Samsung 60" 1080p TV. I'm guessing it would work... sticks have been a thing for a while?
It plugs into a HDMI port. It includes a USB cable with power brick to supply the juice. If your TV has a free HDMI port, you’re good to go.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Dec 24, 2017
646 posts
568 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:17 pm
Believe you can buy HGTV through Amazon Prime Channels and watch on this device
Just checked and HGTV is not included. Thanks though
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3849 posts
1064 upvotes
Has this been cheaper in the past? New version coming out soon?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18929 posts
5754 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Other than on price I don't see why anybody would use this instead of Chromecast Ultra?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8633 posts
1228 upvotes
Victoria
TomRFD wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:42 pm
It plugs into a HDMI port. It includes a USB cable with power brick to supply the juice. If your TV has a free HDMI port, you’re good to go.
That's awesome. Then I can plug it into my receiver. Hopefully if I plug it in a HDMI port in the back, the remote can still work from the front :)
Jan 8, 2008
177 posts
67 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:49 pm
Other than on price I don't see why anybody would use this instead of Chromecast Ultra?
The fact that it can be controlled by a remote and doesn't require a phone to operate...
Aug 13, 2006
379 posts
124 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:53 pm
That's awesome. Then I can plug it into my receiver. Hopefully if I plug it in a HDMI port in the back, the remote can still work from the front :)
I've had the 4K since last year..and my dongle is plugged in the back of my AVR which is sitting in my cabinet. No problems at all.

But I have noticed that once in a while the Firestick will just crash on me....I'm starting to suspect that all the heat behind the ARV is not playing nice with my Firestick. So if you plan on grabbing one and plugging it in the AVR...I would consider a HDMI extension cable and keep the stick away from the heat.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3787 posts
1639 upvotes
Canada
-=MK=- wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:02 pm
I've had the 4K since last year..and my dongle is plugged in the back of my AVR which is sitting in my cabinet. No problems at all.

But I have noticed that once in a while the Firestick will just crash on me....I'm starting to suspect that all the heat behind the ARV is not playing nice with my Firestick. So if you plan on grabbing one and plugging it in the AVR...I would consider a HDMI extension cable and keep the stick away from the heat.
Are you powering it with the wall outlet or a USB port on your AVR? I have read that powering it off of a TV/AVR USB port can cause crashed because they don't provide enough power.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
May 8, 2001
435 posts
183 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:53 pm
The remote uses Bluetooth so it definitely will work when it isn't in line of sight of the stick. I've use the remote in my pocket walking back after grabbing snacks from the kitchen to unpause the movie so definitely no infrared usage at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1863 posts
2018 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
smuPoker wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:26 pm
If anyone has both, would there be any benefit to getting the 4K stick if I already own a Mi Box 3? I like the Mi Box a lot.
I dont believe so. I use a Shield and a MiBox myself and have used FireStick, FireTV, FireStick 4k and I still prefer the MiBox, I do not use netflix or amazon prime video, I like the simplicity of the official AndroidTV, ow you can hide/disable almost everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1863 posts
2018 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:49 pm
...because they are not a comparible

FireStick allows you to install android apps (apks) on the device and you have a remote. Chromecast just enables you to "cast" to your TV from a PC/Phone/Tablet, no actual apps are on the Chromecast nor can any be installed.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
18929 posts
5754 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
remik wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:31 pm
...because they are not a comparible

FireStick allows you to install android apps (apks) on the device and you have a remote. Chromecast just enables you to "cast" to your TV from a PC/Phone/Tablet, no actual apps are on the Chromecast nor can any be installed.
But why would you want an app running on an underpowered stick anyway when it's just so much more convenient and straight forward to just cast stuff from a phone etc?