[Amazon Canada] Prime Day Fire TV Stick Sale: 4K $44.99; Non-4K $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2019 3:27 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1863 posts
2018 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
You're not gaming on it, but using it for iptv and for Cyberflix it's more than sufficient.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1576 posts
519 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:08 pm
This is tempting. We use the old ps3 as the media box for our TV. The problem is that it's pretty old and is slowly losing support for different apps. I think we're down to netflix and youtube.

This seems to support everything. Kodi/Netflix/Prime/TuneIn/NHL TV. All the stuff we use. Looks pretty tempting. The only problem is I've never tried to run a stick in the USB ports on my TV. It's a 4 year old Samsung 60" 1080p TV. I'm guessing it would work... sticks have been a thing for a while?
You cannot go wrong for $28/$45, you'll never look back at your PS3 for media again. Yes, your USB port should be fine.
Last edited by razrsharp on Jul 12th, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1576 posts
519 upvotes
Anyone try the non 4k for Kodi or IPTV streaming? Is it powerful enough?
Keep in mind this is only going up at a 1080p cottage TV with max 5mbps wifi anyway...
Feb 18, 2010
766 posts
257 upvotes
Greely
razrsharp wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:23 pm
Keep in mind this is only going up at a 1080p cottage TV with max 5mbps wifi anyway...
Kodi works ok, a little laggy. There are also stand-alone APKs like Titanium and Cinema that work nicely...
Nov 24, 2014
305 posts
222 upvotes
Quebec, QC
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:43 pm
But why would you want an app running on an underpowered stick anyway when it's just so much more convenient and straight forward to just cast stuff from a phone etc?
Maybe for certain types of content or apps, the result or performance is similar, but it depends what you use it for. I, for one, am a Bell Fibe subscriber. The Bell Fibe app works flawlessly on my phone and when they finally enabled "Casting" a few months ago, I was glad to finally be able to stream directly from my phone to my TV without the need of another Bell receiver. When using the "Cast" function, the framerate & picture quality were below average at best. It was especially bad when streaming sports content. When running the Bell Fibe App directly on the Fire Stick 4K, the picture is simply amazing. Almost as good as my Bell Receiver.

So yeah, there are cases when casting from your phone just doesn't do enough vs a dedicated app.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2458 posts
1356 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:01 pm
Great device. Don't give to parents for IPTV, especially tech-illiterate mothers.

Otherwise great.
IPTV is fairly easy with this, better than most boxes.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3402 posts
621 upvotes
zylonite wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:47 pm
Just checked and HGTV is not included. Thanks though
It's part of the Stacktv package, but extra charge
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2458 posts
1356 upvotes
Kitchener
razrsharp wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:23 pm
BeastTV is one that works fine. You know how Kodi is, as the add-ons need to be changed every couple months. Otherwise, it works ok.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1801 posts
298 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Anyone have suggestions to play video on USB? Would I get some sort of USB splitter to use along with the power plug?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8626 posts
1226 upvotes
Victoria
-=MK=- wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:02 pm
I've had the 4K since last year..and my dongle is plugged in the back of my AVR which is sitting in my cabinet. No problems at all.

But I have noticed that once in a while the Firestick will just crash on me....I'm starting to suspect that all the heat behind the ARV is not playing nice with my Firestick. So if you plan on grabbing one and plugging it in the AVR...I would consider a HDMI extension cable and keep the stick away from the heat.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'm ok because my TV stand is open at the back. It's open, so it gets air. If it fails then I'll get an extension cable.
Nov 30, 2013
57 posts
59 upvotes
NB
BinaryJay wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:43 pm
But why would you want an app running on an underpowered stick anyway when it's just so much more convenient and straight forward to just cast stuff from a phone etc?
Because some people do not want to be tethered to their phone and just watch a good program instead of having a phone in front of them checking texts every time the phone chimes. BTW the fire stick 4k is not underpowered. I do wish I could get certain apps to run on it though.