I see 69.99 dollars for 4k Fire Stick.
July 15-16
Sep 2, 2003
607 posts
53 upvotes
GTA
frenetic26 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:40 am
It is since its way faster than the non 4k one and you will be future proof!
Future proof, how? I bought two one for my sister and the other for myself. Don't get my wrong its smooth, better than my Vizio P series TV but it can lag get stuck and is definitely NOT future proof. I'm thinking about sending mine back and getting either the Mi Box S with 4K HDR or the Nvidia shield, yes its more money but more future proof than the fire TV stick. I'm not saying its crap but future proof it is not, only other reason to get the fire stick is for 4K Netflix and amazon prime TV.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3731 posts
1598 upvotes
Canada
daydaydream wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:40 pm
is there a difference getting it from us or canada? not planning to get prime video, just watch some local video and other streaming content
I haven't owned one but read a lot about it. There used to be a difference with older fire tv devices but not US and Canadian Fire TV sticks are interchangeable. This may not apply to other Fire TV devices that are only available in the USA.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Jan 21, 2017
173 posts
134 upvotes
Anyone know how I can watch movies I have on an NTFS external drive using the FireStick 4K? I know it doesn't recognize NTFS but I noticed it can access my laptop so if I hook up my external drive to my laptop, would it detect it... doesn't seem so but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Jan 29, 2004
416 posts
243 upvotes
sonspot wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 5:59 pm
Future proof, how? I bought two one for my sister and the other for myself. Don't get my wrong its smooth, better than my Vizio P series TV but it can lag get stuck and is definitely NOT future proof. I'm thinking about sending mine back and getting either the Mi Box S with 4K HDR or the Nvidia shield, yes its more money but more future proof than the fire TV stick. I'm not saying its crap but future proof it is not, only other reason to get the fire stick is for 4K Netflix and amazon prime TV.
Lol relax *. The guy who I was replying to (which wasn't you by the way) does not have a 4k tv, when he decides to buy one in he future, well, at least with the 4k device, he will be better off then if he has the regular one.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 13th, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Aug 16, 2008
462 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
grosbmi wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 4:14 pm
Too many ads on the new app I find
Smart Youtube TV. Download from Aptoide Store.
Fido $15/3gb less 50% for 24 months x 3
May 28, 2016
134 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone gotten RSS Player to work on their Fire Stick? I think last time I tried, it threw some error message about missing google play services but I haven't had a chance to look into it further.
Aug 16, 2008
462 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
xiaobao wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 5:02 pm
Wondering this as well, though I figure you will save about $10 -$15 CDN on the 4K version, So might not be worth it unless your planning to go down the US or planning to buy alot of stuff from amazon.com to make it worth it.

I like to watch global news, I do it via firefox, has anyone tried if streaming stuff like this will work?

Also not sure how good this alexa works, but I am planning to install kodi on it, do I need some sort of keyboard?
The keyboard and mouse really helps while you're setting apps up with usernames, passwords, typing in URLs for download but once you have everything running, the voice search and on screen keyboard are enough.
Firestick has the Global TV App built in.
Aug 16, 2008
462 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
jfmartel wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 5:05 pm
Great use for the 15$ Amazon photo coupon.

Is there a way to replicate the data from a stick to another one? I've configured Kodi with a few add-on.
Unfortunately, there is no way to clone a Firestick like backing up and restoring a Kodi. I just did my second Firestick and it took about 2 hours including all the illegal apps. Once you get Filelinked and Aptoide Store installed it goes very quick.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5951 posts
1946 upvotes
In case anyone is interested the Darta Universal Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard (Bought one today at Dollarama in Oak Ridges ON) paired nicely with my 4K (pendant style) Firestick. The keyboard has up/down/L/R arrow keys which allows it to perform much of the functionality of the OEM remote.
The keyboard is kinda flimsy but it does work.
It's nowhere near the quality of the Logitech K830
dollarama-darta-universal-wireless-blue ... 4-2264020/
May 28, 2016
134 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Dukman wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:02 pm
The keyboard and mouse really helps while you're setting apps up with usernames, passwords, typing in URLs for download but once you have everything running, the voice search and on screen keyboard are enough.
You can also install the Fire TV android app and your phone can act as a second fire stick remote + keyboard input. This was really helpful when setting everything up initially, rather than dealing with the onscreen keyboard/d-pad.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10749 posts
1434 upvotes
Dukman wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:09 pm
Unfortunately, there is no way to clone a Firestick like backing up and restoring a Kodi. I just did my second Firestick and it took about 2 hours including all the illegal apps. Once you get Filelinked and Aptoide Store installed it goes very quick.
I hate tht there is no time showing like the Mi Box..

Did anyone figure out how?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8409 posts
1433 upvotes
Winnipeg
sonspot wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 5:59 pm
how is nvidia and amlogic more future proof? neither support dolby vision off the hop. The mi no longer supports hd audio either.Will either support future updates as long as firetv? That has to be proven, till we see it. But remember the very first firetv devices have updates to equal the new model too. That means even the antiquated dual core arm 7 of the old firestick has latest firmware support. So as it stands they win for longest support under the rpi but thats only in linux. Find a dual core arm 7 with newer support? Good luck

As for your lag thats wifi make sure you use only the charger that came with it. Its rated for it with an above 5v rail vs typical and never use the usb of your tv its too weak to float wifi well. So your not getting lag network wifi fixed with any other device either both shield and mibox support the same ac speed too at best so look at your router and distance first. I would always recommend the shield for its overall power and support. But bang for buck streamer the sticks are the winner.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2025 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
Dukman wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:02 pm
will the voice search work with kodi?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
2881 posts
2219 upvotes
Markham
CheapoFillipo wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:56 pm
what about as a kodi device.... would it work well for that?
Install Downloader app and sideload Kodi using Downloader app following this tutorial:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-ins ... 25115.html

Kodi works very well on my Fire Stick 4k.

If you like the Exodus addon, open Kodi and install the add-on following this tutorial:
https://www.firesticktricks.com/exodus-redux.html

Have fun!
Last edited by drdtyc on Jul 12th, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

Spiderpal93