• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 4:51 pm
[OP]
Oct 1, 2009
136 posts
182 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Amazon.ca] Prime Day: hydraSense Advanced Eye Drops, 2-pack, $15.39

I've been buying this 2-pack for years, usually paying between $17-$21 depending if I had used a coupon and/or S&S.

Currently, it's 30% off, limit 4, but no S&S.

The ones I bought last month had expiry dates in 2023.

The regular version 2-pack is also on sale at $13.99.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14390 posts
4978 upvotes
RFD
I noticed this too but I buy the night therapy version for the higher concentration of sodium hyaluronate than the advanced version. Both are on sale.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1189 posts
2280 upvotes
great preservative-free eye drop for its price

-optometrist
[OP]
Oct 1, 2009
136 posts
182 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UWOD2020 wrote: great preservative-free eye drop for its price

-optometrist
I was initially using Hylo, but at $40+ per bottle at SDM, it's way too expensive!
[OP]
Oct 1, 2009
136 posts
182 upvotes
Richmond Hill
radeonboy wrote: I noticed this too but I buy the night therapy version for the higher concentration of sodium hyaluronate than the advanced version. Both are on sale.
Thanks! I'll give hydraSense Night Therapy Eye Drops a try. Currently $9.09 (35% off) for a single bottle.
Apr 11, 2020
237 posts
436 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: I noticed this too but I buy the night therapy version for the higher concentration of sodium hyaluronate than the advanced version. Both are on sale.
Hi, what's the purpose of this higher concentration? I use eye drops periodically when eyes are dry, however more often than not it's after cannabis use right before bed. Would the night therapy version serve me better?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2680 posts
1687 upvotes
Toronto
It's a great price! I found there was a slight issue when dispensing that it didn't dispense a perfect drop rather there was always a residual remaining on the tip which caused wasteful product and not to mention added up over time which could have been used. Hopefully it was from a particular batch lot and not in general with this brand.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2680 posts
1687 upvotes
Toronto
maeda wrote: I was initially using Hylo, but at $40+ per bottle at SDM, it's way too expensive!
Costco pharmacy sells both Hylo bottles. IIRC regular was $32.xx and gel was $43.xx. No membership required to purchase.

I totally agree, when you go through eye drops a lot, they add up very quickly and this is a great alternative!
Last edited by cluless on Oct 14th, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14390 posts
4978 upvotes
RFD
maeda wrote: I was initially using Hylo, but at $40+ per bottle at SDM, it's way too expensive!
Came from Hylo as well. Hylo tip dispenser is better though than these, but for the price it can be managed.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24979 posts
2169 upvotes
Markham, ON
cluless wrote: Costco pharmacy sells both Hylo bottles. IIRC regular was $32.xx and gel was $43.xx. No membership required to purchase.

I totally agree, when you go through eye drops a lot, they add up very quickly and this is a great alternative!
hmmm u sure? i thought no membership was only applicable to prescriptions...i've always been asked for membership on hylo (for my dad...until he got himself a membership)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14390 posts
4978 upvotes
RFD
cluless wrote: It's a great price! I found there was a slight issue when dispensing that it didn't dispense a perfect drop rather there was always a residual remaining on the tip which caused wasteful product and not to mention added up over time which could have been used. Hopefully it was from a particular batch lot and not in general with this brand.
You're right about the dispensing mechanism, I'd rather a tip dispenser like on the Hylo. This one is harder to gauge if putting it by yourself.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1189 posts
2280 upvotes
Yeah. No doubt Hylo is a bit more effective for more severe dry eyes but for most cases many people don't notice a difference in symptom relief. Hylo is also harder to use for some people, especially older individuals when compared to the squeeze bottles (with that being said, some preservative-free squeeze bottles are hard to squeeze too, part of the technology). But hylo does end up lasting longer than most because each pump dispenses a very precise amount, and Costco sells them behind the counter as well for slightly less.
Last edited by sushibucket on Oct 14th, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14390 posts
4978 upvotes
RFD
Windyt wrote: Hi, what's the purpose of this higher concentration? I use eye drops periodically when eyes are dry, however more often than not it's after cannabis use right before bed. Would the night therapy version serve me better?
My doc recommended me the higher concentration for my specific eye issue. I recall he also said my other symptoms would respond more effectively with a higher concentration.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7810 posts
6622 upvotes
Avoid, the gel Night Therapy version is 100 times better. I use 1 bottle of it a week.

Hylo is not particularly better than Night Therapy. The only reason why it's so expensive is that it's distributed by a small middleman that pockets an added profit margin. That's it. It's not 4 times better, that's BS. The formula of the two is about the same.

Hydrasense is less expensive because Bayer has the distribution network and contacts with every single retailer in the country and is able to produce millions of bottles in a short time. It's purely a matter of scale.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8845 posts
4706 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Avoid, the gel Night Therapy version is 100 times better. I use 1 bottle of it a week.

Hylo is not particularly better than Night Therapy. The only reason why it's so expensive is that it's distributed by a small middleman that pockets an added profit margin. That's it. It's not 4 times better, that's BS. The formula of the two is about the same.

Hydrasense is less expensive because Bayer has the distribution network and contacts with every single retailer in the country and is able to produce millions of bottles in a short time. It's purely a matter of scale.
Avoid the gel Night Therapy version? Your use of punctuation suggests the gel Night Therapy version is better.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
7810 posts
6622 upvotes
choclover wrote: Avoid the gel Night Therapy version? Your use of punctuation suggests the gel Night Therapy version is better.
No, the Night Therapy, gel version of Hydrasense is the good one. It's the liquid ones that are bad.

I wait until they are less than $10 and buy them. I have a huge bag of 100 bottles.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2680 posts
1687 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote: hmmm u sure? i thought no membership was only applicable to prescriptions...i've always been asked for membership on hylo (for my dad...until he got himself a membership)
I've purchased a couple of other items (that reside behind the counter) from pharmacy successfully without membership. They do ask as a requirement but not enforced. I haven't had an issue the small few times I picked up.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1670 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I switched from Hylo to this - definitely a good decision.
Highly recommend the orange advanced version. Feels less sticky and less messy around eye lashes compared to the regular version.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1189 posts
2280 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Avoid, the gel Night Therapy version is 100 times better. I use 1 bottle of it a week.

I am not going to dispute whether hylo or hydrasense is better. But I will point out that the hyaluronic acid used in both cases are different, and the non-medicinal components which are important for bioavailability such as contact time and dessication prevention are also different. Once again, this is not to highlight one is better than the other.

The reason I won't go into detail because most drops currently being used all perform very well, both in subjective (symptoms) and objective measures. Hylo is approved for post-surgical use, but it does not mean hydrasense is inferior, just newer. I have had patients find most relief from hylo over other drops like idrop, hyabak, or hydrasense; or people who do better with hylo's pump.

Hylo is simply a proven formula, but most important is to try others and decide for yourself (with your optometrist or ophthalmologist). There are reasons certain formulae work better for certain eyes which have no scientific reason as to why (for now), so at the end of the day you gotta try them (yay for samples!)

I just dont want people to think "if this drop is exactly the same as hylo, and hylo is the best they got, and this drop isnt helping, then eye drops wont help me at all!"
Last edited by sushibucket on Oct 14th, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 10, 2019
398 posts
360 upvotes

for some reason the night therapy gel versions seem to make me get dry eyes throughout the day compared to cheaper Refresh eyedrops w/ sodium preservatives..
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.