Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] *Prime Day* Panasonic DMC-ZS100 Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom - $524.25

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 2:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1131 posts
624 upvotes
Burlington

[Amazon.ca] *Prime Day* Panasonic DMC-ZS100 Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom - $524.25

Very good price on a quality compact camera with 1" sensor, 10x optical zoom and 4K video with image stabilization. Usually can be found for around $700 CAD, and I've never seen it close to this price.
One drawback is that the grip isn't the best, but if you are looking for great image quality in a small, portable size you can't do much better without spending quite a bit more.
Last edited by mwahahaa on Jul 15th, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5272 posts
2446 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP! I was waiting for Prime day to see if this would go on sale. For some reason, when you search ZS100 on amazon.ca this deal doesn't pop up on the regular product link - but your link has the deal, glad I saw your post! Needed a pocket camera with 1" sensor and decent zoom, RX100 way too much for me to spend though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1131 posts
624 upvotes
Burlington
notenoughsleep wrote: Thanks OP! I was waiting for Prime day to see if this would go on sale. For some reason, when you search ZS100 on amazon.ca this deal doesn't pop up on the regular product link - but your link has the deal, glad I saw your post! Needed a pocket camera with 1" sensor and decent zoom, RX100 way too much for me to spend though.
Yeah, I had been waiting to see if this hit $600 before pulling the trigger, but $650 has been as low as its been getting from most retailers lately. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least that this particular model was a Prime day deal! The RX100 would be ideal, but you need to get the Mk IV to have 4K video as a feature. That model puts you into 4-digit territory which is too much for me to justify for a pocket camera.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6258 posts
2096 upvotes
What exactly is a camera like this for? You can get good zoom and night shots with the p30 pro and this doesn't have the 50x super zooms like the other cameras. Wouldn't it be better to get one of those instead?
Jan 24, 2016
45 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Got this camera from Amazon Warehouse deals back in April for the same price. OIS was impressive, can take clear pictures at 250mm with shutter speed slow as 1/10s. IQ - you get what you paid for. Nowhere near LX100 or RX100, but doesn't bother me since I mainly use this for concerts.
Overall, very good value for the price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1131 posts
624 upvotes
Burlington
vivibaby wrote: What exactly is a camera like this for?
Lightening your wallet? ;)
vivibaby wrote: You can get good zoom and night shots with the p30 pro and this doesn't have the 50x super zooms like the other cameras. Wouldn't it be better to get one of those instead?
"Better" is going to depend on several factors. Do you want to drop $1000 on a phone to get the best mobile device camera available? The P30 is out of most people's budget, and you are certainly not going to get nearly as good of a camera in a lower-priced phone. Another question is how important is the quality of your photos? Most people are content with the "good" snaps their phone can produce, but that doesn't mean you won't get much more detailed pictures and video in a greater range of conditions with the right dedicated camera. Even the P30 Pro will get smoked by any camera with a significantly larger sensor like this one. In terms of zoom, yes, there are cameras that can get closer, but 10x optical zoom is pretty good (twice what the P30 Pro can do) and to boot, the better lens of a camera like this will produce vastly superior low light shots at higher zoom due to the large sensor. A 50x zoom sounds great, but very few cameras will pair that with a sensor and lens that will produce decent shots at the highest magnification. In sum, camera phones (such as the P30 Pro) can produce pleasing pictures that meet most people's needs, but if you are a photography enthusiast who is looking to travel light, an Iphone or Pixel 3 or P30 Pro will produce images that pale in comparison to any larger-sensor, dedicated camera with manual control and a quality lens.
Last edited by mwahahaa on Jul 16th, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 8, 2007
446 posts
99 upvotes
I bought this camera in 2016 and just like everybody at the time, I was debating between the aperture friendly RX100 or the zoom capability of the ZS100 and ended up with the ZS100. At the end of the day, my primary purpose was a travel camera for the family vacation trips so I thought the zoom would come in handy more. My 2 cents now, it has been really worth it for me as I have used it on pretty much every vacation that we have gone to in the last 3 years. I have not looked at newer camera models so I am sure there are potentially better models out there but I have not had the urge to replace my zs100.

Pros:
- the zoom ability is probably the best feature for me on this camera, it is awesome when on a trip to be able to just zoom in on things. For the comment about using a camera versus your phone, I find that I am more comfortable using a camera to record video, I just slap on a small tripod and hand recording has very decent output, more stable than hand holding a phone. As a bonus, I don't have to constantly be looking at my phone camera when recording, I can actually enjoy watching the moment while my camera records(like watching a recital or something). I have no experience with the newer phone models and I could be completely wrong about the video recording experience.
- can take RAW(only good if you plan to edit and print pictures)
- picture quality is pretty good
- good manual controls if you need them(setting aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc)
- 4k video
- can take 4k burst photo which is essentially a video but you can select to extract a photo from the video and it will output as a high res picture
- touch screen interface/menu is pretty good

Cons:
- no flip view screen if you like selfies or vloging is your thing
- a little tricky to handle because there is not enough to grip on to, I ended up installing a small rubber grip(flipbac grip), works great now
- not exactly "pocketable", you can fit it in your pant pocket but you wouldn't be able to do lunges comfortably. Better option to place it in jacket pocket instead. This is probably a big point for using a phone camera instead
- no dedicated dials/buttons to easily access certain settings but you can reprogram some of the buttons but takes a few extra seconds to change a setting
Nov 25, 2016
541 posts
393 upvotes
Burnaby
funny how the the lighter/smaller tz series from panasonic has a bigger grip than this. great price btw, would have got it if i didn't already have a decent camera.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4359 posts
1381 upvotes
Vancouver
Re: Grip

I put these eGrips onto my ZS100. They have been on the camera since 2016. Never had to re-apply them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00XLZTVHE

I also bought an accessory stick on grip before I bought the eGrips and probably would not have if I had bought the eGrips first. It may have been this one. It also has never come off.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flipbac-FBG3-Came ... B0058BW0LS

Some shots from the first trip I bought it for:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id= ... view_all=1