Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Prime Day: Ring alarm system 5 pc $159.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 9:33 am
Mar 17, 2017
183 posts
71 upvotes
MisterTeee wrote: I'm in the same boat. Want to use my existing motion, contact sensors and integrate into ring. Wonder if my ADT smoke alarm will integrate too
I have wireless ADT sensors. Can those also be used with Ring?
Nov 19, 2016
442 posts
228 upvotes
nanoo777 wrote: Smoke alarm is definitely not supported. If you google hardwired motion sensor and ring, there's a post on Reddit about this. The poster explained they wired the motion sensor to the Ring retrofit and then wired the other two leads to the power from the original alarm panel board since it's still running.

Some other neat things you can do is get a 12V to 5V adapter and replace the old panel with Ring without having to run a separate power adapter.

I only have the five sensors (two doors, three windows) so I'll likely sell off what I don't need.
Thanks so much.. its on my to-do list with half dozen other things. I have 3 motion sensors, dozen contact sensors
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
MisterTeee wrote: Thanks so much.. its on my to-do list with half dozen other things. I have 3 motion sensors, dozen contact sensors
Similar boat here. Tonnes of stuff to do here including installation of a video doorbell as well. Not getting the new system until early November so have to live with Rogers for another few weeks.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanNomad1 wrote: I have wireless ADT sensors. Can those also be used with Ring?
No, not the wireless ones. They don't work with Ring.
Mar 7, 2002
595 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
anyone do a retrofit from Rogers Smart home?

I have hardwired contacts + some newer wireless (Glass break). I'm looking to ideally bring all of them over, but if I can just get the hardwired that would be great.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
dP21 wrote: anyone do a retrofit from Rogers Smart home?

I have hardwired contacts + some newer wireless (Glass break). I'm looking to ideally bring all of them over, but if I can just get the hardwired that would be great.
Here’s that deal: you need the retrofit alarm kit to deal with the contact sensors. The motion sensors can be petted by the old alarm and split off to the motion sensors. Glass break and anything from Rogers isn’t supported.

If you’re leaving Rogers, they will not hook up your old alarm back to how it was so you’ll need to figure that out. In your contract with them, it states they’re not liable to hook back up any old wiring.
Mar 7, 2002
595 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
nanoo777 wrote: Here’s that deal: you need the retrofit alarm kit to deal with the contact sensors. The motion sensors can be petted by the old alarm and split off to the motion sensors. Glass break and anything from Rogers isn’t supported.

If you’re leaving Rogers, they will not hook up your old alarm back to how it was so you’ll need to figure that out. In your contract with them, it states they’re not liable to hook back up any old wiring.
Yup, was aware of the retrofit kit. Do those things go on sale? Seems pricey.

Was more interested in hearing if folks had been successful in doing it. It sounds like you were?

Rogers themselves inherited another system that was hardwired that I insisted the re-use. The tech wanted to just put wireless everywhere but I persisted.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
dP21 wrote: Yup, was aware of the retrofit kit. Do those things go on sale? Seems pricey.

Was more interested in hearing if folks had been successful in doing it. It sounds like you were?

Rogers themselves inherited another system that was hardwired that I insisted the re-use. The tech wanted to just put wireless everywhere but I persisted.
The retrofit kit is pricey. Likely the best price you’ll find new is to use a 10% off coupon with Ring for being an existing customer and ordering from the States. Haven’t really seen these go on sale.

I haven’t switched over yet. My alarm kit is in order to be delivered early November. There’s nothing prohibiting the move except some wire tracing afterwards. I’m hoping once I ditch Rogers and the tech takes back the equipment/board that I can convince him to rewire basic power to my upstairs panel.

All of the Rogers equipment will serve you no purpose in Ring land, unfortunately, except your hardwired gear to a point.
Jul 11, 2018
102 posts
37 upvotes
I have Rogers alarm monitoring service (couple sensors, motion doctor, smart door deadbolt and a tablet) all were installed wirelessly including small device paired to my door chime

Can I setup the existing Rogers alarm system (wireless) to pair with the Ring system?
If it ain't broken, open it and find out why!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2670 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
swtots wrote: I have Rogers alarm monitoring service (couple sensors, motion doctor, smart door deadbolt and a tablet) all were installed wirelessly including small device paired to my door chime

Can I setup the existing Rogers alarm system (wireless) to pair with the Ring system?
Nope. Rogers smart lock and wireless equipment uses Zigbee while Ring uses Z-Wave.
Sep 26, 2015
556 posts
276 upvotes
If I'm selling any of my extra pieces, should I factory reset them before doing so? I think they ship everything paired to the alarm hub?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2145 posts
311 upvotes
Windsor
Looking to mount the keypad to the wall. What’s a normal height to mount? would light switch height (to the left or right ) be too low?

Trying to remember how high I’ve seen them previously..

Anyone else have pics of their keypad on the wall?
Sep 26, 2015
556 posts
276 upvotes
blairs1 wrote: Looking to mount the keypad to the wall. What’s a normal height to mount? would light switch height (to the left or right ) be too low?

Trying to remember how high I’ve seen them previously..

Anyone else have pics of their keypad on the wall?
Its all preference. Slightly below eye sight I would say is norm.