Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Prime Day: Samsung Harman Kardon HW-Q7CR/ZA 3.1.2 Atmos Soundbar w 8" Sub - $499.98 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2021 11:48 am
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2502 posts
1523 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Try what? This is a soundbar with HDMI input and output. This soundbar doesn't require ARC or eARC to playback Atmos content unless you are using the built in apps to stream. Even then Netflix, etc supports Atmos over ARC or eARC. The A8H does fully support eARC, however, so one should have zero issues with it and this soundbar regardless of playback source for the soundbar.
i'm looking to buy the Sony A8H TV and want to see people's feedback on the setup between that TV and this soundbar which will help decide if I should get this soundbar or not.

There are people having various issues so far
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
Androidmarshmellow wrote: i'm looking to buy the Sony A8H TV and want to see people's feedback on the setup between that TV and this soundbar which will help decide if I should get this soundbar or not.

There are people having various issues so far
I understand. Was trying to clarify what you wanted someone to try on it but I get you want someone's general compatibility experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
2502 posts
1523 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: I understand. Was trying to clarify what you wanted someone to try on it but I get you want someone's general compatibility experience.
yep! my budget was <$400 but if the feedback is possible on this one, i will give it a shot
Apr 25, 2020
14 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary
Elrondolio wrote: Hmmm. Looking over the manual for your TV: you might want to try setting Sound Mode to "Standard" if its on "Amplify" in Settings - Sound - Sound Mode. Also in Settings - Sound - Expert Settings - Digital Audio Output Format, make sure "Dolby Digital+" is enabled and make sure "Dolby Atmos Compatibility" is enabled as well. Those would be my first troubleshooting steps if I were you. Good luck!
Thanks. I tried it last night and figured out it only works perfectly when i select PCM. Moment i change to Dolby Digital, it causes an issue.
Called up Samsung and they were like "We will repair the soundbar and not replace it". So i am guessing i will just return it back to Amazon :(
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1128 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Androidmarshmellow wrote: anyone tried this with the Sony A8H?
I have similar model, the Q70T and run it on my Sony A8H, works perfectly via EARC or HDMI in, runs dolby vision/atmos via the netflix app.
Mar 16, 2011
4 posts
1 upvote
montreal
Elrondolio wrote: For those without a playback device (Nvidia Shield, etc) to play Atmos files from the links I provided earlier, there is a simple option for demoing Atmos from a PC hooked up to your soundbar via HDMI... install Dolby Access from Microsoft's Store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/dolby ... 0866fs04w8

Make sure you have first connected your PC / laptop via HDMI out directly to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, then, optionally, HDMI OUT on the soundbar to any HDMI IN on your TV (and select that HDMI input on your TV to view your PC / laptop screen). Once you run the Dolby Access app: click the 'Products' tab then choose 'Dolby Atmos for home theater' and finally click the 'Setup' button and follow the instructions. This should setup your PC to correctly pass Atmos material and allow you to play any of the demos, etc from the "Home" section of the app. Your soundbar should receive the Atmos stream and play it correctly (look for 'Dolby Atmos' to scroll across your soundbar's display window when you begin playback of Atmos material).

Not all of the demos and trailers as linked earlier are accessible from within the Dolby app but a couple of the good ones are (Natures Fury, Leaf, Amaze, etc). You can find them in the 'Dolby demo content" section at the bottom of the 'Home' screen. There are other movie, show and game trailers presented in Atmos you can play as well from the app to demo your system.

@Timbits93's suggestion to use VLC will work as well with a bit of setup and the files provided earlier.
Great suggestion I am using a Macbook Pro though, will use VLC, thank you.
Dec 19, 2010
808 posts
263 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: For those without a playback device (Nvidia Shield, etc) to play Atmos files from the links I provided earlier, there is a simple option for demoing Atmos from a PC hooked up to your soundbar via HDMI... install Dolby Access from Microsoft's Store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/dolby ... 0866fs04w8

Make sure you have first connected your PC / laptop via HDMI out directly to the HDMI IN on the soundbar, then, optionally, HDMI OUT on the soundbar to any HDMI IN on your TV (and select that HDMI input on your TV to view your PC / laptop screen). Once you run the Dolby Access app: click the 'Products' tab then choose 'Dolby Atmos for home theater' and finally click the 'Setup' button and follow the instructions. This should setup your PC to correctly pass Atmos material and allow you to play any of the demos, etc from the "Home" section of the app. Your soundbar should receive the Atmos stream and play it correctly (look for 'Dolby Atmos' to scroll across your soundbar's display window when you begin playback of Atmos material).

Not all of the demos and trailers as linked earlier are accessible from within the Dolby app but a couple of the good ones are (Natures Fury, Leaf, Amaze, etc). You can find them in the 'Dolby demo content" section at the bottom of the 'Home' screen. There are other movie, show and game trailers presented in Atmos you can play as well from the app to demo your system.

@Timbits93's suggestion to use VLC will work as well with a bit of setup and the files provided earlier.
This worked like a charm, Dolby Atmos scrolled through and the sound was amazing. Too bad there aren’t more movie clips or trailers but good enough to get a feel for the system. Can’t wait to try this out with more media, I think I’ll take your suggestion and get a Shield Pro if I can get it on sale! I’m assuming it will have better sound quality than playing through the TV’s built in Netflix and Prime apps? And 4K will still pass through the soundbar to the TV without compromising quality?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1562 posts
684 upvotes
BC
that virtual option on the soundbar does not do anything when atmos is on right? Just trying to play with the settings..

The issue I had before with one planet where David’s voice moves from center to the rear is because of my connection/dns (us netflix).. when I changed to canada netflix, everything is crisp.. opening of 6 underground is nice to the ears..
Dec 19, 2010
808 posts
263 upvotes
Strange Bluetooth error, my phone disconnects from the soundbar mid song, I have to re-connect to it again. Seemed to be working fine the first day I tested it but I did update the firmware later that same evening, wonder if that broke BT?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1128 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Also, any Android users with Android 11, you may run into problems using Samsung's Smartthings app, it doesn't seem to be working properly with Android 11, you will need an earlier version for now until Samsung gets their act together.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1128 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gundamwingZero wrote: that virtual option on the soundbar does not do anything when atmos is on right? Just trying to play with the settings..

The issue I had before with one planet where David’s voice moves from center to the rear is because of my connection/dns (us netflix).. when I changed to canada netflix, everything is crisp.. opening of 6 underground is nice to the ears..
As far as I can tell the Virtual setting seems to only benefit stereo/mono content to give it a faux surround mix. I'd keep it disabled for ATMOS and any other 5.1 content.

Nyd
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1220 posts
232 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nyder74 wrote: Also, any Android users with Android 11, you may run into problems using Samsung's Smartthings app, it doesn't seem to be working properly with Android 11, you will need an earlier version for now until Samsung gets their act together.
Yep, having this exact issue. Android 11 with Smartthings app. Cannot download the Soundbar add-on - keeps saying "Couldn't download." Very frustrating.
Nov 6, 2019
30 posts
29 upvotes
First of all I would like to thank the OP for such a great find and moreover for his time and will to share his vast knowledge in this thread. Thank you !

So, finally all pieces of the systems arrived today and also faced an issue:
I can't get Atmos scrolling on my sound bar -;(

My setup:
1. Nvidia Shield pro 2019
2. Samsung HW-Q&CR - of course - thanks again to @Elrondolio !!!
3. LG CX

Nvidia Shield -> Soundbar In  Soundbar out -> HDMI2 (eARC)
I have downloaded demo disk and .mkv examples and I use KODI to play them.
None of them shows scrolling Atmos on the sound bar.

Seems that I am missing some step in SW configuration either in shield or in Kodi.
I have tried to play with the Sound setting in the shield but without any progress...

Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1128 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
armourer wrote: First of all I would like to thank the OP for such a great find and moreover for his time and will to share his vast knowledge in this thread. Thank you !

My setup:
3. LG CX

Seems that I am missing some step in SW configuration either in shield or in Kodi.
I have tried to play with the Sound setting in the shield but without any progress...

Any suggestions?

In the shield go to settings, Display & Sound, scroll down to Advanced Sound settings.
Select Audio output, make sure its on HDMI.
Back out go to available formats. Pick "manual Select which formats to use, and select all the formats.

In the Kodi app there must be an area to enable audio passthrough, you need to make sure Truehd is selected. (I use emby not kodi so not sure where this is).

Nyd
Nov 6, 2019
30 posts
29 upvotes
@nyder74 Thanks a lot for quick reply !
Indeed I needed to disable "Dolby audio processing" in Advanced Sound settings and in manual mode select all the formats.
And in Kodi, if someone will face the same issue, I tweaked it in system setting - enable passthrough - I have allowed all formats.

So now I happy "Dolby Atmos" scroller owner Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Thanks again to everybody for so useful thread !
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
callmebob wrote: This worked like a charm, Dolby Atmos scrolled through and the sound was amazing. Too bad there aren’t more movie clips or trailers but good enough to get a feel for the system. Can’t wait to try this out with more media, I think I’ll take your suggestion and get a Shield Pro if I can get it on sale! I’m assuming it will have better sound quality than playing through the TV’s built in Netflix and Prime apps? And 4K will still pass through the soundbar to the TV without compromising quality?
The Shield will provide the exact same sound quality from Netflix and Amazon Prime apps as your ARC supporting 4K television... they both pass through the exact same audio bitstream to the soundbar and it handles the decoding and playback of the audio. Yes, the video portion of the signal from the Shield will pass through the soundbar to your TV with full Dolby Vision and HDR10 support intact. What the Shield will add to your setup is top quality upscaling of 1080, 720 and even 480 FullHD, HD and SD content to 4K... the Shield's upscaler is widely regarded as one of the best on the market. Its biggest strength, however, is allowing you to rip your UHD bluray discs or download 4K movies or shows to be stored on an external hard drive attached to the Shield and played back via Plex or Kodi on your Shield with full Dolby TrueHD: Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks (while passing through Dolby Vision and HDR10 content to your TV). This is the best quality home theatre experience you can get. If you will *exclusively* be streaming content only from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc from apps on your TV, however (as long as the TV is recent and supports Vision and Atmos passthrough via ARC or eARC), then you really don't need a Shield at all. Again, the Shield is mostly used for playback of top quality rips or downloaded local content (like the demos from a few pages back), although it is top shelf for streaming services like Netflix, etc as well. Hope that clarifies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
gundamwingZero wrote: that virtual option on the soundbar does not do anything when atmos is on right? Just trying to play with the settings..

Thats correct... when Atmos or DTS:X material is being decoded, all sound "enhancement" modes are bypassed (rightly so). Only when you are playing back 5.1 or stereo content do the sound modes and virtual get used to widen and raise the soundstage, if enabled (and matrix sound to the rears if you own them). Glad you figured out your Netflix issue... strange as I stream both Canadian and US Netflix depending on content I'm after and haven't seen the issue on the US version. Good it's solved for you, however. Check out The Witcher on Netflix if you get a chance, it's DD+ Atmos soundtrack is excellent as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
callmebob wrote: Strange Bluetooth error, my phone disconnects from the soundbar mid song, I have to re-connect to it again. Seemed to be working fine the first day I tested it but I did update the firmware later that same evening, wonder if that broke BT?
If you have Spotify, try Spotify Connect to connect it via the app to your soundbar (which will use WiFi, not bluetooth) and see if you have the same issues. If not, you may have frequency interference in the bluetooth range from some other device in your environment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3470 upvotes
armourer wrote: First of all I would like to thank the OP for such a great find and moreover for his time and will to share his vast knowledge in this thread. Thank you !

My setup:
3. LG CX

Any suggestions?
I appreciate the thoughtful thanks... glad you've found a system you are happy with and many of us here are happy to help others when needed. You are most welcome.

I see that @nyder74 (who is quite knowledgeable, thanks nyder74) helped you get your problem sorted which is great. Don't forget, since you have a Shield Pro you can also setup the built-in Plex Media server to find your local media content and serve it up, not just to your Shield's Plex client, but any Plex app inside and outside your home (other TVs inside your home via their Plex app, phones and other PCs or laptops in and out of the home, family and friend's TVs around the world, etc). Just a heads up on one of the great things your Shield Pro can do.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1128 posts
197 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Elrondolio wrote: What the Shield will add to your setup is top quality upscaling of 1080, 720 and even 480 FullHD, HD and SD content to 4K... the Shield's upscaler is widely regarded as one of the best on the market. Its biggest strength, however, is allowing you to rip your UHD bluray discs or download 4K movies or shows to be stored on an external hard drive attached to the Shield and played back via Plex or Kodi on your Shield with full Dolby TrueHD: Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks (while passing through Dolby Vision and HDR10 content to your TV). This is the best quality home theatre experience you can get. If you will *exclusively* be streaming content only from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc from apps on your TV, however (as long as the TV is recent and supports Vision and Atmos passthrough via ARC or eARC), then you really don't need a Shield at all. Again, the Shield is mostly used for playback of top quality rips or downloaded local content (like the demos from a few pages back), although it is top shelf for streaming services like Netflix, etc as well. Hope that clarifies.
When I bought the Shield Pro a few weeks back I was half expecting to return it as my TV's smart apps and the old beater HTPC already did a lot of what the shield promised, within an hour I knew I was keeping it.

Elrondolio, your statement about the Shield's upscaling capabilities is 100% true, I have a large collection of content old tv's shows, movies etc, ranging from SD,HD to UHD, everything just looks amazing. Even old SD stuff, and zero performance hiccups. In combination with the Sony A8H's X1 processor I'm assured I have the best picture and audio quality I can squeeze out of my hardware.

Nyd