Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Prime Day: Samsung Harman Kardon HW-Q7CR/ZA 3.1.2 Atmos Soundbar w 8" Sub - $499.98 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 3:00 pm
Sep 27, 2009
586 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
i think its probably more the positioning of the sub as its kinda in the middle of the room not in a corner, but i'm coming from a SVS in my basement theatre.
Other then that, still happy with it!
Apr 20, 2017
82 posts
31 upvotes
@Elrondolio Just wanted to give you an update since you have been so helpful through the ordeal I have been going through. Called samsung and told them everything that I did. The only thing was left was to factory reset the tv. Factory resetting the TV fixed the issue. Now I have another issue. HDMI vido passthrough from the soundbar doesn't work. When I got that to work somewhat, I lost sound. Factory resetting the TV fixed the sound issue but video passthrough doesn't work. Now onto Vizio otherwise, I think the issue resides with the TV. I had this issue with VIZIO sound bar and I think I was told had something to do with video pass through was not compatible.

I am keeping the soundbar for sure but I am hoping Costco could help me out as clearly the issue is with the TV.
Oct 20, 2018
17 posts
9 upvotes
callmebob wrote: Update- received the soundbar yesterday and set it up. Disclaimer- my current TV (to be upgraded in a few months) is 10 years old so no ARC connections. Thankfully it had an optical out which I used to connect to the soundbar. Setup was simple although connecting to wifi took a few tries. Firmware is updated to the latest version 1010.5.

The soundbar sounded really good although I’m probably not getting the full effect through an optical connection. The bass and general amplification and clarity of sound made our small family room fill up with sound. The test will be in the new house where the room is larger and ceilings are 10 feet, hoping for a similar outcome. It also looks fairly clean and unassuming. The sub is larger than I would’ve liked but nice that it’s wireless and can be tucked away in a discrete corner. @Elrondolio you will be happy to hear my wife approved of the sound to agree to a set of rear speakers so that counts as a success for the Q7CR in my books! Considering the rears have to be wired to the wireless receiver, that may be a problem as the back wall is half open. Is there a set of rear speakers that is truly wireless without the need for wiring up to a receiver?

Also, is there a better test I can run with the soundbar other than optical out from TV to soundbar? I have an older Apple TV which has an optical out or I can connect to my phone via Bluetooth and play something off YouTube if that will be able to push higher quality codecs through to test? Yesterday I had Apple TV connected via HDMI (probably 1.4) to my TV playing some YouTube videos and optical audio out to the soundbar, sounded good but likely losing a lot over HDMI 1.4 and optical audio. I have a chromecast as well but will also be connected vis HDMI 1.4. Other option is optical out from Apple TV to the Q7CR for the audio and Apple TV to TV over HDMI for the video.

Still need to test Google home and Alexa. Is there a mic built into the sound bar to activate these assistants?

Thanks.
How did you connect to wifi ? I keep trying to connect my SoundBar using my Mobile via SmartThings and it keeps getting stuck at 39% and then gives an error cannot connect..
The rest of the Soundbar works fine with Atmos (via HDMI from my XBOX One S to Soundbar and from Soundbar to my TV) ..

I don't have a Smart TV so I was trying to connect using SmartThings on my Samsung S10 but haven't had any luck...

Any help from anybody here would be great.. Thanks !!
Apr 20, 2017
82 posts
31 upvotes
theCrazyDealHunter wrote: How did you connect to wifi ? I keep trying to connect my SoundBar using my Mobile via SmartThings and it keeps getting stuck at 39% and then gives an error cannot connect..
The rest of the Soundbar works fine with Atmos (via HDMI from my XBOX One S to Soundbar and from Soundbar to my TV) ..

I don't have a Smart TV so I was trying to connect using SmartThings on my Samsung S10 but haven't had any luck...

The first question I have for you is are you able to control the soundbar through your mobile phone. (things like turning on and off and sound)
If it's a yes, then you could try casting it directly to your soundbar through your phone. That's how I play spotify and youtube premium music. You could also select bluetooth option on the soundbar. You should be able to play the music.

I have a Vizio M65 and having a hell of time getting the xbox one s to work the same way you have it. I am going to reach out to Vizio and see if they are able to help me otherwise I will reach out to Costco.

Thanks,
Faisal
Dec 19, 2010
797 posts
256 upvotes
theCrazyDealHunter wrote: How did you connect to wifi ? I keep trying to connect my SoundBar using my Mobile via SmartThings and it keeps getting stuck at 39% and then gives an error cannot connect..

I had the same error and had to try the pairing process a few times including switching off the soundbar and restarting the search process in the SmartThings app. Frankly I find the ST app to generally be quite unstable (I use it with my ST hub for home automation) and I’m surprised Samsung even elected to use the ST app to control its media devices.
Aug 9, 2020
20 posts
13 upvotes

I had the same problem. I errored out at 39% with SmartThings. I performed a factory reset (hold down volume - and + on the soundbar until it restarts), after reboot, select the WiFi input, and try to add it again... worked for me.
Nov 6, 2019
25 posts
19 upvotes
jerrylamoo wrote: I had the same problem. I errored out at 39% with SmartThings. I performed a factory reset (hold down volume - and + on the soundbar until it restarts), after reboot, select the WiFi input, and try to add it again... worked for me.
+1 - Same experience with 39% - after reset it worked...
Apr 20, 2017
82 posts
31 upvotes
I reached out to both Vizio (m65-E0) and samsung regarding the issue with the HDMI 4k passthrough. Unfortunately both vendors are point fingers at each other. I then reached out to Costco concierge service and think based on the feedback I gave from the two vendors is that the two devices are incompatible with each out. Unfortunately Costco can't do anything about it. I will keep the sound bar and perhaps will change the tv in the next year or two.
Oct 20, 2018
17 posts
9 upvotes
Many thanks !! This worked..but on the second try..
I reset the soundbar..tried connecting.. it gave me success message but at 99 percent ot errored out...
Then i tried connecting again and it worked !!

Well the setup is now complete..
Am i the only one who is not able to 'feel or hear' surround or sound bouncing of walls..?

The soundbar display says atmos.. i tried experimenting with a bunch of test videos from netflix/YouTube.. i can hear everything coming from the soundbar and not from 'top' or anywhere else.. meh..
Oct 20, 2018
17 posts
9 upvotes
You could try to connect the soundbar directly to the xbox one s using the digital audio cable( which camd bundled with the soundbar) and not the pass through?
FaisalS831999 wrote: I reached out to both Vizio (m65-E0) and samsung regarding the issue with the HDMI 4k passthrough. Unfortunately both vendors are point fingers at each other. I then reached out to Costco concierge service and think based on the feedback I gave from the two vendors is that the two devices are incompatible with each out. Unfortunately Costco can't do anything about it. I will keep the sound bar and perhaps will change the tv in the next year or two.
Feb 6, 2019
53 posts
74 upvotes
winnipeg
Got my rear speakers and everything is hooked up and sounding good. One thing I noticed was that there is no surround sound on youtube even though the soundbar is set to surround. From the user manual. it says it converts a 2.0 signal to 5.1 if you have rear speakers if I'm reading that correctly. Any ideas why the back speakers aren't doing anything on youtube? Netflix sounds great! Watched batman last night and I'm happy with the performance of the system.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1204 posts
193 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just received the rear speakers as well. Problem is that the volume is way too low even after setting it to 6 (max volume). Can't hear it properly sitting a few feet away. Is there anyway to increase the volume of the rear speakers more?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1794 posts
3120 upvotes
pennywize wrote: Just received the rear speakers as well. Problem is that the volume is way too low even after setting it to 6 (max volume). Can't hear it properly sitting a few feet away. Is there anyway to increase the volume of the rear speakers more?
The rear speakers should not get a ton of sound, even in "Surround" mode, unless you play material that has rear heavy effects (and, personally, I wouldn't want them to as it'd be too distracting during a program - I want my rears to only be heard for atmosphere such as a football game's crowd or actual effects during a movie or show, such as a car speeding past, swelling music, etc). I linked to some Dolby Atmos test tracks earlier in this thread and I'd recommend playing some of them back to test your system with. If you have a SPL meter (or download an SPL app to your phone) you can set and test the volume level of all the speakers to the same level (preferably 75 dBC at your main listening position - this is reference level and equates to roughly 0 dB volume level on an AV receiver). You'd want to use the 5.1.2 pink noise test tones as I uploaded previously here in the thread and turn the volume up on the soundbar until your meter reads 75 dB (C weighted) on your main front left and right channels using the pink noise playback on those specific speakers. Then set the pink noise to the other speakers and adjust the settings for those channels up or down via your soundbar setup to match the same 75 dB. Do this for all the channels. You'd then be calibrated correctly as far as sound pressure coming from each speaker in your system (not EQ... use the SmartThings app to do that).
Last edited by Elrondolio on Oct 28th, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1794 posts
3120 upvotes
PatrickT16393 wrote: Got my rear speakers and everything is hooked up and sounding good. One thing I noticed was that there is no surround sound on youtube even though the soundbar is set to surround. From the user manual. it says it converts a 2.0 signal to 5.1 if you have rear speakers if I'm reading that correctly. Any ideas why the back speakers aren't doing anything on youtube? Netflix sounds great! Watched batman last night and I'm happy with the performance of the system.
I wouldn't want any rear sounds from a stereo Youtube video... what exactly are you wanting the rears for, or more specifically, what do you want to hear out of them? With a Netflix Atmos show or movie (or local playback with TrueHD, etc) with a purpose designed 5.1 or Atmos soundtrack you'd definitely want what the sound engineer placed in the rears. Not sure what you're wanting from Youtube videos, though.