Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Prime Members* Free 3 Month Trial of Amazon Audible Books Membership plus 3 free audible books!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2017 11:40 am
Nov 13, 2016
228 posts
89 upvotes
why only 1 credit per month?
i'll try the 3 months, but at $14.95 a month it's a bit pricey for my liking.

Thank OP.
Dec 20, 2011
268 posts
56 upvotes
Windsor, On
tonedcarrot wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 5:28 pm
why only 1 credit per month?
i'll try the 3 months, but at $14.95 a month it's a bit pricey for my liking.

Thank OP.
I never quite understood the pricing of this. Why is it so high? I could see if it was like gamefly, only allowing one book at a time, but you can't even switch it out.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5594 posts
626 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
tflionsfan wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 7:23 pm
I never quite understood the pricing of this. Why is it so high? I could see if it was like gamefly, only allowing one book at a time, but you can't even switch it out.
I suspect the market for audiobooks is smaller than for games or movies. Consider the price of books, then consider all of the additional work that goes into creating an audiobook. I'm guessing the voice performers don't come cheaply. When a person uses Netflix, Gamely, etc., they are essentially "renting" a product. A person must have a constant internet connection for Gamely. Netflix permits short-term retention of some content, only as long as the Netflix subscription is maintained.

With audiobooks, as with electronic books like Kindle or iBooks the consumer buys the product. The consumer can enjoy it without constant internet access. Even after a user ends participation in Kindle or iBooks, the consumer retains the product.

As far as value from Audible Canada, consider the prices for purchases in the US in US dollars.

https://audiobookstore.com/audiobooks/dr-death-2.aspx

Of course, many electronic books and audiobooks can be "rented" without charge from public libraries. I think public libraries are not only a hallmark of liberal, progressive societies, they are also one of the best values n public services.

So people can pay a modest fee to purchase items, or "rent" them free at public libraries.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Jul 17, 2012
123 posts
45 upvotes
Wow thank you OP! I was about to pay for it literally this morning commute
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2099 posts
447 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm a prime member and only received 1 month with 2 audio books what am I missing?
Jan 7, 2009
913 posts
120 upvotes
Sweet, it worked with my US Audible account. Been taking advantage of these types of offers for 5+ years now. I'm glad they opened this up in Canada, as US Amazon has been getting stingy with these types of offers.

EDIT: It's not allowing me to get the free Handmaid's Tale book, though.
"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1097 posts
706 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CDN$ 14.95/month after 30 days. Cancel anytime.
QUEBEC RESIDENTS: Click here for your free month of Audible!

So only 30 days for QC residents?Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1097 posts
706 upvotes
Montreal, QC
OrangeBerry wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 11:24 pm
I'm a prime member and only received 1 month with 2 audio books what am I missing?
I see it's only 1-month free trial as well, probably it's targeted?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2345 posts
1027 upvotes
Calgary
cool! now I get an audio copy of hillary clintons book. I'm thinking it has to be the best unmedicated sedative ever! being free, its definitely cheaper!!! my review prediction - 1 star for book review, 5 stars as tranquilizer Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

hmmm maybe I know what happened. she needs to market this as an alternative to valium/xanax
Oct 5, 2010
9 posts
1 upvote
canada
I signed up yesterday - thank you OP and then today went to cancel, reason: to expensive - it gave me a offers 7.95 or 7.45 a month for 3 months. I took it. And I kept my books from yesterday. Thanks again OP
Nov 1, 2003
634 posts
99 upvotes
Do you have to maintain your prime membership to continue this audible promotion? Mine is expiring and I don't want to renew prime but I just signed up for this promo before I ended prime.
Aug 10, 2008
69 posts
27 upvotes
Alekxqin wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 11:28 pm
CDN$ 14.95/month after 30 days. Cancel anytime.
QUEBEC RESIDENTS: Click here for your free month of Audible!

So only 30 days for QC residents?Face With Tears Of Joy
Actually I think us QC folks get the shaft again for this one, we only get the free 3 months AFTER we susbcribe for 14.95. I'm not sure why its different for us each time.

EDIT: Found it

Section 230 of Quebec's consumer protection act:
No merchant, manufacturer or advertiser may, by any means whatever,
(a) charge any sum whatever for any goods or services that he has sent or rendered to a consumer without the consumer having ordered them;
(b) give any reason as a pretext for soliciting the sale of goods or the provision of services;
(c) require that a consumer to whom he has provided services or goods free of charge or at a reduced price for a fixed period send a notice at the end of that period indicating that the consumer does not wish to obtain the services or goods at the regular price.

Sub-section c is the applicable portion here, which states it's illegal for companies to offer free trials that automatically rebill at the end of the trial period.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15541 posts
982 upvotes
milhaus wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 4:43 am
Or maybe books are slightly different than movies/TV. If you’re complaining, just use overdrive and your public library.
Its not just books (or audio books in this case) Even Walmart is struggling online against Amazon.

All these chains going belly up, Sears and Kmart soon to be as well, Target Canada gone and just today Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy.

If Amazon has the lowest price we're kinda screwed as customers (which doesn't happen a lot for Amazon Canada) but if any other chain can match their price they'll get my business just to keep completion afloat and prices competitive.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
200 upvotes
NG wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:51 am
Its not just books (or audio books in this case) Even Walmart is struggling online against Amazon.

All these chains going belly up, Sears and Kmart soon to be as well, Target Canada gone and just today Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy.

If Amazon has the lowest price we're kinda screwed as customers (which doesn't happen a lot for Amazon Canada) but if any other chain can match their price they'll get my business just to keep completion afloat and prices competitive.
+1

If prices are the same go elsewhere IMO
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm: