Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Primula Burke Cold Brew Coffee Maker (Prime) $19.99 (43% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 7:54 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Primula Burke Cold Brew Coffee Maker (Prime) $19.99 (43% off)

Picked one up before posting so I could test it out. Good quality for the price and all components are dishwasher safe. Bottom can be removed from the insert for significantly easier cleaning.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1327 posts
1510 upvotes
Thank you for helping my coffee addiction...
I was gonna start making cold brew with my french press but I like the idea of having a dedicated unit.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2006 posts
1474 upvotes
Vancouver
lleb13 wrote: Thank you for helping my coffee addiction...
I was gonna start making cold brew with my french press but I like the idea of having a dedicated unit.
Make it first with the french press so you know it's not going to be a 2 week affair of cold brew and then this just sits in your kitchen unused.

I'm glad I didn't buy a dedicated maker because I don't cold brew as much as I thought (was looking at the hario cold brew makers before, but this is better designed imo, like to fit in the fridge and clean out)
Last edited by Sypsy on Jul 8th, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5355 posts
238 upvotes
Mississauga
Sypsy wrote: Make it first with the french press so you know it's not going to be a 2 week affair of cold brew and then this just sits in your kitchen unused.
True. I think will try it with french press first since would probably not use it as much

But it is 43% off! :p
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2006 posts
1474 upvotes
Vancouver
dealsoutlook wrote: But it is 43% off! :p
I hear you. I just thought "oh maybeeeee I could use this and let it sit in my fridge.... It's only $20.... sometimes I buy a really underwhelming bag of beans and cold brew would be a better way to use them up and..."

I should get off RFD.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1515 posts
1340 upvotes
Why do I need something special to make a cold brew? I've made it in a french press, I don't really see what this has that's an advantage.
May 2, 2013
134 posts
294 upvotes
St. John's
1. Brew 1.5L overnight in a juice jug.
2. Pour through metal sieve
3. Pour through paper coffee filter
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2063 posts
14023 upvotes
No-frills version of making cold brew without buying another gadget:

1) Buy reusable mesh coffee filter - looks like this, but Dollarama and Walmart both sell a version for $3-4
2) Grab any juice jug or glass container you have
3) Put coffee grounds right into jug, add as much water as you want for desired strength
4) Give it a quick stir to make sure the grounds aren't just all at the top
5) Put it in the fridge for 12-24 hrs
6) Take it out, pour the jug through the mesh filter to get 80% of the grounds out
7) Run the coffee through the mesh filter again but with an added paper filter if you want to get rid of the fine grounds/sludge
8) Wash the mesh coffee filter for use next time and enjoy!

I've done this setup for a couple years, and have looked at these cold brew "makers" but it really seems like an unnecessary gadget as it doesn't save THAT many steps, and the filter you see is just a mesh filter that will leave some sludge in your cold brew.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10672 posts
3238 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'll rather filter it through a paper filter after cold brewing lol, don't like the oils, too bitter
French press aint for me either, pour over or espresso lol
Mar 3, 2015
553 posts
1000 upvotes
King City
My French Press is used exclusively for cold brew and I haven't had any issue.

That said, this is 43% off.......
Jul 7, 2008
956 posts
751 upvotes
Never knew I need this but I guess I do.
Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6328 posts
4701 upvotes
Leverage wrote: No-frills version of making cold brew without buying another gadget:

1) Buy reusable mesh coffee filter - looks like this, but Dollarama and Walmart both sell a version for $3-4
2) Grab any juice jug or glass container you have
3) Put coffee grounds right into jug, add as much water as you want for desired strength
4) Give it a quick stir to make sure the grounds aren't just all at the top
5) Put it in the fridge for 12-24 hrs
6) Take it out, pour the jug through the mesh filter to get 80% of the grounds out
7) Run the coffee through the mesh filter again but with an added paper filter if you want to get rid of the fine grounds/sludge
8) Wash the mesh coffee filter for use next time and enjoy!

I've done this setup for a couple years, and have looked at these cold brew "makers" but it really seems like an unnecessary gadget as it doesn't save THAT many steps, and the filter you see is just a mesh filter that will leave some sludge in your cold brew.
I mean, for the extra $15 (excluding the price of paper filters) the simplicity may be worth it to some. I wouldn't pay $40 for it, but at $20 it's not a bad deal.
May 25, 2020
241 posts
383 upvotes
I think the difference between this and a French press is the amount you can make in one go. I haven’t seen many 1.5l French presses. I have a dedicated 1L cold brew jug and I make a batch that lasts me about 6 days’ worth.
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
682 upvotes
IKEA also sells something similar (they call it Tea Brewer or something like that) for $10. As people said above, using French Press is better (if this is a 2 week affair).
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3503 posts
2706 upvotes
GTA
So what you are all saying is you should spend $1 less and get this 8-cup one instead ?

I kid, I got this for $35 a few months ago and am very happy with both hot and cold-brew operations
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2311 posts
2470 upvotes
Toronto
You can probably also used to to make iced tea! You can cold brew with tea leaves too.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12209 upvotes
Markham
Sypsy wrote: Make it first with the french press so you know it's not going to be a 2 week affair of cold brew and then this just sits in your kitchen unused.

I'm glad I didn't buy a dedicated maker because I don't cold brew as much as I thought (was looking at the hario cold brew makers before, but this is better designed imo, like to fit in the fridge and clean out)
Daijoubu wrote: I'll rather filter it through a paper filter after cold brewing lol, don't like the oils, too bitter
French press aint for me either, pour over or espresso lol
Buy an Aeropress and make coffee over ice Japanese style. Nothing sitting in the fridge and it uses paper filter. Strength of coffee is dependent on coffee bean, grind and qty of coffee used. Delicious and easy BTW.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 18, 2006
781 posts
173 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks OP! Pulled the trigger. Dont understand all the hate in this thread.. some of yall are lacking RFD spirit. Easy buy..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)