Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Public Mobile sim cards

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2020 1:59 pm
Nov 13, 2007
509 posts
303 upvotes
Ontario

[Amazon.ca] Public Mobile sim cards

Public mobile is selling sim cards on Amazon for only 5 dollars and free shipping. Pretty good deal I think. Too bad I just bought one a couple of days ago for $9
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 4th, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
39 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1256 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
If I buy one of these, am I still eligible for signup promotions?
Last edited by pete_rfd on Jun 4th, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
Do these expire? I forsee myself opening a line there.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3166 upvotes
pete_rfd wrote: If I buy one of these, an I still legible for signup promotions?
yes. Most promotions do not have a restriction on when or where you buy a SIM card.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3166 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: Do these expire? I forsee myself opening a line there.
No, PM Sim cards do not expire.
Public Mobile, Tangerine
May 26, 2020
69 posts
36 upvotes
Can anyone vouch for public mobile? I'm currently on freedom and I'm happy with it (I also live in a city that freedom covers - that's probably why)
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3143 upvotes
Montreal
alexdealsCA wrote: Can anyone vouch for public mobile? I'm currently on freedom and I'm happy with it (I also live in a city that freedom covers - that's probably why)
My wife is on Public Mobile. She doesn't use any data outside of the house so she's super happy with the Unlimited Incoming Calling / Unlimited SMS/MMS / "100 Minutes outgoing" $15 plan. Auto play it's $13 a month plus tax AND you get 250 Megs of data free which she can flip on if she needs to Google something quick.

She referred a friend and now it's $12 a month (and the person got a one time credit).

After a year with them, you get another $1 off per month (loyality credit) LOL! $11 a month plus tax (if her friend stays on).

It's on the Telus network so she has better signal than me on Rogers indoors most of the time in Montreal.

Cons: There is NO PHONE support. You can't get over charged because it's prepaid, but if you have a problem, 2 days to solve it via the forums. If you lose your phone, you can activate a new sim online yourself at least. So, only if your number port fails will you need someone or if you messed up your account on the online portal some how.

If you are lazy to pick up a local sim and travel (once this is over) overseas quite a bit, there are no roaming plans except the U.S.
Last edited by yuprules on Jun 4th, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 23, 2011
40 posts
37 upvotes
Kelowna
I was told that though they say you get 3G speed, they actually connect to the LTE towers.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Aug 26, 2017
435 posts
534 upvotes
newmiddy wrote: I was told that though they say you get 3G speed, they actually connect to the LTE towers.
You are limited to 3g speeds but yes they use the Bell/Telus LTE network.
Sep 15, 2018
128 posts
174 upvotes
alexdealsCA wrote: Can anyone vouch for public mobile? I'm currently on freedom and I'm happy with it (I also live in a city that freedom covers - that's probably why)
Parents were on Public but had frequent trouble accessing data on the road around GTA for Google Maps. Switched to Freedom and never had that problem again. So I guess Public is good if you only need call/text and don't rely heavily on data.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
newmiddy wrote: I was told that though they say you get 3G speed, they actually connect to the LTE towers.
If you want to get technical, you are on the LTE network, but the sped is reduced to 3Mbps,
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1488 posts
344 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Bought 2 just in case me or family/friends need it in a whim. They don’t expire. Great investment!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2017
2444 posts
3166 upvotes
If you are happy with Freedom, just stay with them.

Here is some more information to consider with Public mobile

Disadvantages

No call centre. Any issues with billing, technical, etc. has to go through online forum. It takes time to get things fixed. 

No international roaming, except to USA (need to buy 10 day roaming package)

Long distance calling to certain number of countries (18 - including US and Canada)

Data is 3 G (capped Lte) - for most people, should not make a big difference. 

No unlimited data like Lucky (low speed)

No Wifi calling or eSIM.
BYOD - PM does not sell devices.

Advantages
Public mobile uses Telus/Bell towers, so good coverage across Canada
No overages. Once you use up your allotment, the service just stops (ie. data).
Ability to lower costs via various means
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-h ... ward-rules
No contract. No credit checks.
Cheaper plans than the big three
Public Mobile, Tangerine
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1435 posts
2259 upvotes
i love it. switched 3-4 years ago after being with the big R for over 20 years.

uses Telus / Bell network.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
CyniC- wrote: Bought 2 just in case me or family/friends need it in a whim. They don’t expire. Great investment!
Investment? What's the projected rate of return? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
I switched to PM ~two years ago. My account was hacked and incoming call was forwarded to some other number. I ditch them after 9+ years. Because when I contract them and ask them is my account hacked or someone else accessed it; they could neither deny nor confirm.

PM has been good so far I use their $25 plan which is down to $21 after loyalty and one referral . I haven't seen any issue, only thing when I travel US i have to purchase add on package for 10 days. They don't have international service so I couldn't use it outside North America last years. Overall I am happy with $ saving and the service. Occasionally audio does get corrupted on my phone (not sure it's my phone or PM itself) I just hang up and call again.

After spending 9+ years with Freedom and PM last Two years, I found that PM reception is stronger through the GTA and Mall and the basement compared to Freedom.

--EDIT when I had call forwarding issue I found https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/hack ... erability/ article.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
Rogido wrote: Investment? What's the projected rate of return? Face With Tears Of Joy
If (s)he bought 2, then with referrals they would get $2 per month off their PM bill. So payback would be 5 months, and then pure profit afterwards. This assume he gives away the SIMs for free and this does not include any extra promos may be occurring at the time of activation each of which would increase his 'projected rate of return'.
Public Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)