• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 8:56 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23970 posts
9507 upvotes
maverikbc wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:07 am
I buy for $2-3 in Mexico for half the size of the bottle in this thread. If it costs so much here, maybe I should bring whole a lot more for my cooking friends.
It's crap.

Source: Was recently in Mexico and was confused as to why Vanilla was 10% of the price here.
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 7:45 am
Either you're buying fake vanilla, or it's been years since you've been down to Mexico.
It's still cheap, but most times it's junk.
I used to get whole vanilla beans for $1-2 each.... They are now like $8-15 each
I haven't bought beans in a couple months, but last time I bought it was like $5/per.
hoody123 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 6:10 pm
I'm still working through the 4 litre bottle from the deal last February: 3785 ml for $69.98. About halfway through the bottle. Will be painful when we have to buy more!
You could damn near add another zero to that price today.
Not quite but someone in the gallon of BBQ sauce thread posted a link that had a gallon of Vanilla that was $500.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2012
1036 posts
135 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Bought one as well, thx! Looked at my most recent purchase, it's from Mexico, but costed under $10. Still unopened so i will definitely return. Never realized there was such a difference.
Oct 17, 2009
760 posts
1350 upvotes
maverikbc wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 2:07 am
It costs so much here?

I buy for $2-3 in Mexico for half the size of the bottle in this thread. If it costs so much here, maybe I should bring whole a lot more for my cooking friends.
Depending on the brand you have purchased in mexico, it might be artificial. I recently went to mexico and came back with a few different types of "Vanilla" and discovered that they were all pale immitations.
If someone could shares which brands you can get down there that are actualy real, that would be GREAT. I have almost two litres of total garbage here if someone wants it ;)
Aug 31, 2010
31 posts
43 upvotes
Given that this Club House brand is produced by McCormick's, the world's largest spice company, the price is quite good given that the price of vanilla has been inflated for a few years, and will likely take just as long to come down. I've rarely seen pure vanilla prices on sale this low. Thank you OP.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mcco ... SKCN1T419D
Jun 24, 2019
7 posts
10 upvotes
Artificial vanilla is indistinguishable in baked goods, but real vanilla should be used in food that don't undergo best transformation. Ice creams, meringue...
May 25, 2015
179 posts
409 upvotes
on
For those who received it, what's the expiry date on the bottle?
Mar 14, 2018
184 posts
150 upvotes
Optom2018 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 9:49 pm
For those who received it, what's the expiry date on the bottle?
This is a GREAT question. The McCormick spice rack I bought on Prime Day has an expiry date of this September, in TWO MONTHS! I wrote a review about it and got an email saying that my review could not be published . When I tried to write a new one it says something that reviews are not accepted for that product. Everything is swept under the rug!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1072 posts
634 upvotes
Calgary
I haven't bought vanilla from Mexico for years. But with all the stories of the fake stuff in Mexico, the only way i would buy it in the country is if it was from the Costco or the Walmarts there. Never from the tourists spots or the little stores
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1156 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Shihtzus wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 11:12 pm
This is a GREAT question. The McCormick spice rack I bought on Prime Day has an expiry date of this September, in TWO MONTHS! I wrote a review about it and got an email saying that my review could not be published . When I tried to write a new one it says something that reviews are not accepted for that product. Everything is swept under the rug!
Is that the one with the wooden shelf? I bought that one and each of the bottles there have different expiry dates. I checked a few and they were 2021 and 2022.
Sep 15, 2015
786 posts
722 upvotes
Abbotsford
We were in mexico in March. Was looking to buy vanilla.
Low and behold we check the back of the bottle - Main ingredients: Water and sugar. Vanilla was 4th or 5th ingredient on the list.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4949 posts
1844 upvotes
lord wayne wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 11:20 pm
I haven't bought vanilla from Mexico for years. But with all the stories of the fake stuff in Mexico, the only way i would buy it in the country is if it was from the Costco or the Walmarts there. Never from the tourists spots or the little stores
This applies to shopping almost everywhere, purchased once Blue Mountain coffee in Jamaica from small store, what a garbage that was, pieces of rocks and other crap mixed in.
May 28, 2012
10273 posts
2427 upvotes
Saskatoon
joeyjones6 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 6:20 am
As of Feb 2018 Costco was $37.49 for 473ml of Pure Vanilla Extract.

Photo
It's $42.99 now.