• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 1:34 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] QNAP TS-231P-US NAS, $168.99

QNAP TS-231P-US Personal Cloud NAS with DLNA, Mobile Apps and Airplay Support. Arm Cortex A15 1.7GHz Dual Core, 1GB Ram
According to CCC - historical low.
Last edited by wolandca on Dec 1st, 2019 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
4722 posts
1396 upvotes
Kitchener
Go for the synology if it's within your budget. Qnap software and app selection is just plain inferior.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Sep 30, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes
I bought this a few months ago, and for the basic user who wants to just back up data and iphone pictures it works flawlessly.
Apr 13, 2004
263 posts
164 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Have purchased two of these. Backing up between the two units for offsite storage is a breeze. The personal cloud feature is very cool for backing up photos etc from my phone.
Oct 28, 2005
406 posts
123 upvotes
You can upgrade the ram on these units if I'm not mistaken. Also, you can add community app repos and use open source apps from the community. I love mine and use it to run Sonarr + qBitorrent + autoextract to automatically download and sort episodes from all my fave shows. Can't go wrong with this unit and the price is great.
Oct 10, 2010
210 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
overtask wrote: Only if you like your data storage with a side of security vulnerabilities and added feature restriction if not allowed to 'phone home' to WD
Really? Do you know how many security patches MS releases every month??
Nov 30, 2006
190 posts
15 upvotes
What is the max drive size capacity it can handle? comments from Amazon said only up to 4 tb per drive. I would like to install 2 x 10 tb if that possible? Thanks
Nov 26, 2019
78 posts
85 upvotes
vancouver
wolandca wrote: Price dropped to $168.99
Did it sell out? Price is back up to $229 and no longer eligible for Prime

Edit: nevermind. I have to choose "Other sellers" apparently, even though it's sold by amazon still? I don't get it.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
TravisR93419 wrote: ...even though it's sold by amazon still? I don't get it.
Yeah, looks like amazon promoting another seller.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
For these who bought it in a higer price yestarday. Chat to customer support and they will refund 10$
This is what I just did.
Dec 3, 2009
298 posts
140 upvotes
Simcoe County
Hugh wrote: These reports don't say how the malware is spread. I presume that it requires the NAS to be visible on the internet, but how does that happen in this day of near-universal NAT?
That's the big question. Apparently Qnap NAS devices that are not internet visible have become infected. This malware also alters the firmware. There has been quite the discussion about this on reddit. No one knows for sure how, but its believed the attack must have started on Qnaps update servers. Qnap has remained completely silent except for the press release.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
345 posts
333 upvotes
Calgary
I got mine yestarday. After a small glitch with firmware upgrade was able to run it in a RAID1 mode. Speed is as should be. Tried even to pull out one drive and insert another one without turning it off, it just rebuilt the array and went back to normal.
So far looks good. But still thinking if i really need it and do i want to return it....
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2817 posts
207 upvotes
GTA
$168.99 is a really good price
trying hard not to pull the trigger
Mar 24, 2009
47 posts
56 upvotes
can anyone confirm this version has the memory soldered (thus not upgradeable?) Thanks