Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Rankie USB 3.0 to Ethernet Gigabit Adapter - $15.27 (Lightning Deal)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 2:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Rankie USB 3.0 to Ethernet Gigabit Adapter - $15.27 (Lightning Deal)

In these days of thin laptops not having ethernet ports, a USB to RJ45 adapter can come in handy.

I have a couple of these USB 3.0 to gigabit adapters that I've been using for the past 3 years and they've been rock solid. It's currently on as a lightning deal for $15.27 (and no tax) for the next few hours. Currently 16% claimed. It's a good price so I just ordered another one for myself.

I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
52 replies
Aug 15, 2017
71 posts
63 upvotes
Looks good, but per the listing, not compatible with Nintendo Switch, in case anyone was wondering.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
Forristal wrote: Looks good, but per the listing, not compatible with Nintendo Switch, in case anyone was wondering.
Thanks for pointing that out. Since I already know these work for me with laptops, I didn't bother scrolling down to the questions.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19396 posts
6474 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I've never had one of these USB 3.0 "gigabit" ethernet adapters give me much more than 200-300 Mbps or so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I've never had one of these USB 3.0 "gigabit" ethernet adapters give me much more than 200-300 Mbps or so.
Agreed. They never actually give you gigabit speeds, but are faster than the old 100 Mpbs adapters.
Nov 13, 2017
111 posts
183 upvotes
Vancouver
Wish it had at least one USB port so u don't have to sacrifice your laptop's usb port.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2463 posts
1682 upvotes
No activity LED is a pretty big buzzkill. You have to rely on software to know if you have connection or not, which can be a pain when working in tight/remote areas

Go for the TP-Link instead
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: No activity LED is a pretty big buzzkill. You have to rely on software to know if you have connection or not, which can be a pain when working in tight/remote areas

Go for the TP-Link instead
If you need an activity LED then this one isn't for you. I bought some TP-Link 5 Port switches earlier this year and it drives me nuts that there are no port activity lights on it.

One thing I like about the TP-Link adapter that was linked to is that the cable folds over for storage. That's actually pretty clever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
I wish the TP-Link one came in black. Oh well.

I was just surfing TP-Link's site and saw that they have a new USB-C to RJ45 adapter. They don't seem to be available here yet, but I'd be interested in one of those if the price was reasonable.