Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Rankie USB 3.0 to Ethernet Gigabit Adapter - $15.27 (Lightning Deal)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 2:37 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: I've never had one of these USB 3.0 "gigabit" ethernet adapters give me much more than 200-300 Mbps or so.
You're using the wrong adapters, you're not connecting at USB3, the speeds you report are USB2 class, or you've got some other bottleneck.

I regularly hit 1Gbps with these kinds of adapters.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
divx wrote: What kind PC doesn't have ethernet port though?
Almost every laptop these days doesn't have one. My super expensive work laptop didn't come with one.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
divx wrote: I don't get people tethering a line to a portable device.
My 'portable' device, my work laptop, sits on my office desk 24/7, it only leaves if I have to go into the office (COVID changed those plans).

Guess it's beyond your comprehension that people aren't always very portable with their portable devices.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
divx wrote: your wifi stops working during windows update?
If the WIFI drivers are being updated, yes, and if something goes wrong: no internet.

Fun stuff. That's one of the reasons I always have one of these adapters sitting around.
Sep 9, 2014
420 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know where to get cheap 5 or 6e Ethernet wires?
Thank you
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
divx wrote: I don't get people tethering a line to a portable device.
Work issued laptop only has thunderbolt ports.
However, our IT team is very thorough and issued everyone multi-port docks.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2322 posts
1546 upvotes
GaryS048 wrote: Anyone know where to get cheap 5 or 6e Ethernet wires?
Thank you
I buy mine from PrimeCables. They're inexpensive and I've never had an issue with one. It you can't hit the $49 normally needed for free shipping, they often do a free shipping promo. Also, if their "24 hour incredible deal" has free shipping on that item, your entire order gets free shipping regardless of the total cost of your order.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2322 posts
1546 upvotes
enforcerviper wrote: I bought 2 of these. I don't recommend them. One died, and this model has no indicator lights for link, or speed. The AmazonBasics is well worth a few dollars more. Quality is much better.
I personally haven't had an issue with the adapter posted in the OP, but it's good to post about your experience with them and offer other options that people can consider. As far as I'm concerned, any of these USB to RJ45 adapters are pretty much disposable and there are tons of different ones available. Everyone should find the best one that suits their needs and is reasonably priced.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
repatch wrote: If the WIFI drivers are being updated, yes, and if something goes wrong: no internet.
Fun stuff. That's one of the reasons I always have one of these adapters sitting around.
Interesting, I never had that issue with my laptop for the last decade.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
GaryS048 wrote: Anyone know where to get cheap 5 or 6e Ethernet wires?
Thank you
Get it from prime cable, you might as well grab any other cable or add some spares, especially usb C cords and stuff that is commonly used.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
divx wrote: Get it from prime cable, you might as well grab any other cable or add some spares, especially usb C cords and stuff that is commonly used.
Where I am, the pawn shop carries Cat5e or 6e cables fairly cheap. USB C 10 foot cable is $10 at Giant Tiger and they work with every device I have from tablets to the Switch. I COULD get them cheaper if I wanted to wait but why wait to save a couple bucks when i can have them in 1/2 an hour?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
DougO wrote: Where I am, the pawn shop carries Cat5e or 6e cables fairly cheap. USB C 10 foot cable is $10 at Giant Tiger and they work with every device I have from tablets to the Switch. I COULD get them cheaper if I wanted to wait but why wait to save a couple bucks when i can have them in 1/2 an hour?
I won't trust data carrying devices from a pawn shop, but then again, I don't go to pawn shops, so it is up to your comfort level.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
divx wrote: I won't trust data carrying devices from a pawn shop, but then again, I don't go to pawn shops, so it is up to your comfort level.
Been going to these ones for 20 years. Bought some great stuff over the years for low prices, stuff I would never have been able to afford. I know the owners personally, so that also helps...