Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Raspberry Pi 4 Computer Model B 2GB V1.2, $63.50 after TAX

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 4:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
repatch wrote: Really? What if you don't need a network connection? Does an Ethernet port still beat that?

Not everybody has the same usage model. Obviously, if I'm using RPi Zeros I'm not concerned about a network connection.

When I do, I use a Pi Zero W, twice the price of the Pi Zero, but has WIFI.

Only time I've used a Pi specifically for an ethernet port was a PiHole setup where WIFI wasn't considered reliable enough.
Pi Zero (and W) can be connected to Ethernet with an USB-Ethernet dongle and a special cable.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Pi Zero (and W) can be connected to Ethernet with an USB-Ethernet dongle and a special cable.
Yup, but that pushes the cost to near what it costs to just get a Pi board with Ethernet on it (typical adapter cost is $10-$12, and I can find Pi 1 boards for around $20-$25).
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
repatch wrote: Yup, but that pushes the cost to near what it costs to just get a Pi board with Ethernet on it (typical adapter cost is $10-$12, and I can find Pi 1 boards for around $20-$25).
Where are the Pi 1 boards for $20?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
repatch wrote: Really? What if you don't need a network connection? Does an Ethernet port still beat that?
If you’re using your Pi in a GameBoy case for RetroPie, I get it.

But we are talking about Pi Hole, an Ethernet port definitely beats WiFi
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Where are the Pi 1 boards for $20?
eBay, Kijiji, lots of people bought these things, had no idea what to do with them, and are unloading them.

Actually, got my last RPi 3+ at Value Village thrifting, with a case to, for $5.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
Gee wrote: If you’re using your Pi in a GameBoy case for RetroPie, I get it.

But we are talking about Pi Hole, an Ethernet port definitely beats WiFi
Where are we 'talking about Pi Hole'?

I mentioned that in a Pi Hole setup I used a Pi with an Ethernet port since the client didn't want it on their WIFI. But RPis are used for MUCH more than PiHole.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
repatch wrote: eBay, Kijiji, lots of people bought these things, had no idea what to do with them, and are unloading them.

Actually, got my last RPi 3+ at Value Village thrifting, with a case to, for $5.
Damn. Value village eh.

Kijiji is useless though, folks are over-estimating the value of their old RPIs.. I have seen Pi 2's for $60 LOL
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11275 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Damn. Value village eh.

Kijiji is useless though, folks are over-estimating the value of their old RPIs.. I have seen Pi 2's for $60 LOL
Ya, but that's Kijiji. Try contacting them and offer a fair value, most will negotiate, and frankly have no idea how much the things are worth.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Back on topic, this is a great deal for a RPI 4, with standard USB-C power connector and Wifi AC
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
Buying a complete kit from Canakit or Labists will provide much more value.

Buying all the parts in a kit separately will cost you nearly double the price of a complete kit.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
May 12, 2011
598 posts
1158 upvotes
Calgary
bam136 wrote: Pi4 open media vault NAS is setup for my Nvidia Plex server is complete.
I am running OMV on PI4 1Gb since February and have no complains, 110Mb/s over ethernet in both directions. Now I upgraded it to 2Gb and added wordpress web server to it, and the old one, with 1Gb, converted into OpenWRT router, enabled SQM with Cacke and got grade A+ for network quality and bufferbloat. :p

The mice wept, pricked themselves, but couldn't stop eating the cactus.
May 12, 2011
598 posts
1158 upvotes
Calgary
The deal is over, please move to expired

Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1142 posts
1219 upvotes
Toronto
Its great. My PI4 2GB has plenty of ram and pretty much maxes the 1Gb ethernet as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
wolandca wrote: The deal is over, please move to expired
You are the OP. You can do it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: they are both arm soc's both can run under particular arm based os for specific or shared chores.
As I see it, there are three classes of hardware we are considering
  1. Raspberry Pi boards
  2. small boards meant for hacking (eg. Odroid)
  3. little appliance boxes that can be subverted (eg. the TV boxes you mentioned)
Each class has good points and bad. So none can completely replace another.

Annoying things:
  • Raspberry Pi lacks hardware crypto acceleration.
  • OS support for small hacking boards is very mixed, often terrible, usually fire-and-forget
  • OS support for little appliance boxes is actively hindered by the hardware providers; volunteer efforts come and go.
I get tempted by other boxes, but the software and community support for the Raspberry Pi is just so much better than the alternatives. Of course little x86 boxes are generally even better supported.

I have an S912 TV box aging on the shelf because I'm not motivated to immerse myself in the fora to figure out how to make it work. The GPU never had anything but Android support from ARM or Amlogic. Even as TV boxes they were failures due to lack of Widevine DRM.
May 12, 2011
598 posts
1158 upvotes
Calgary
alpovs wrote: You are the OP. You can do it.
Oh, i see.. never expired threads...

Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
el_pablo wrote: Way overkill. I run pi-hole on a pi zero.
I'm using a Pi3. While it shouldn't seem to need that much juice, it does. I think this really depends on your network load and/or the number of blocklists you have.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hugh wrote: As I see it, there are three classes of hardware we are considering
  1. Raspberry Pi boards
  2. small boards meant for hacking (eg. Odroid)
  3. little appliance boxes that can be subverted (eg. the TV boxes you mentioned)
Each class has good points and bad. So none can completely replace another.

Annoying things:
  • Raspberry Pi lacks hardware crypto acceleration.
  • OS support for small hacking boards is very mixed, often terrible, usually fire-and-forget
  • OS support for little appliance boxes is actively hindered by the hardware providers; volunteer efforts come and go.
I get tempted by other boxes, but the software and community support for the Raspberry Pi is just so much better than the alternatives. Of course little x86 boxes are generally even better supported.

I have an S912 TV box aging on the shelf because I'm not motivated to immerse myself in the fora to figure out how to make it work. The GPU never had anything but Android support from ARM or Amlogic. Even as TV boxes they were failures due to lack of Widevine DRM.
times have changed. mali has bitfrost and midguard driver support in linux as long as your soc has proper linux kernel support and that means if its got the dtb for it. Right now the newer a53,a55,a73 etc socs all have 4.4,4.9,5.x kernel. The problem with socs like s905,x,or s912 was they came ran on android based hyped but amlogic had no true linux support other than 3.14 for stuff to work and its only going as so far.

all now if it has linux support like basically anything with a newer a53 soc or better can run libreelec or coreelec which has Widevine DRM and get atleast 720p netfli. a72 socs or faster can do 1080p netflix.

s912 was people buying hype of its power vs proven. its highly doubtful a true 4.9 linux kernel since so few were ever sold will come to fruition. while s905x....probably.

for now download this for s912 flash it to an sd card eitcher or windiskimager. use tv' cec for remote or try to figure out the remote thru .conf or find the matching one for whatever your brand or is or use a 2.4ghz remote or bt etc. watch atleast 720p netflix on it.
https://coreelec.org/
I wager for your box you use a toothpick thru the a/v port at boot to get to boot from sd card like most.But it playback better than what was offered in android and has retro gaming baked in.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
pdipps wrote: I'm using a Pi3. While it shouldn't seem to need that much juice, it does. I think this really depends on your network load and/or the number of blocklists you have.
I have 1,980,000+ (almost two million) domains on blocklist (the number of blocklists doesn't really matter) and I run unbound, and I run this on a Pi Zero! When the whole family is active on the internet the Pi load is near 0.10. If you need more than a power of Pi Zero for this you are doing something wrong.