• May 6th, 2019 10:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] Ray-Ban Caravan Aviators 55mm (sm) $134

Amazon has the Ray-Ban 55mm Caravan square aviators, gold frame/green glass, on sale for $134. These are the smaller size 55mm. Sold and shipped by Amazon so safe that they are authentic. The Caravan's are all made in Italy.

I ordered a pair to give them a try...though it doesn't say free returns on the product page, it does say eligible for free returns when it's in your cart-- I took a screen shot just to be safe

Last edited by Kfox on May 4th, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
The 58mm is the more popular size
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
Obama thinks they're cool lol 2:50

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1216 posts
803 upvotes
Ok time for a nice little bit of history.

The US Airforce and Military contracts eyeware companies and they have done so since 1917. They contracted a company called American Opticals (or AO) where they provided glasses for the military during WWI and WWII. Infact, in 1958, AO created the Flight Goggle 58 also known as the Original Pilot Sunglasses which were worn by Neil Armstrong and his crew during his Apollo 11 mission. The well known tear drop aviators that every fukboi wears were stolen.. uhem created... by Ray-Ban Signet in the 1950s, the shape of which was later flattened in 1957 to create the Ray-Ban Caravans as you see in OP's post. When I see the Ray-Ban Caravans there are two brands in American history that immediately spring to mind immediately. One as I have already mentioned, - AO and this next one you folks may not have heard of is a company called Randolph Engineering. In 1978, the US military contracts Randolph Engineering to produce their military spec square aviators for their pilots. Specifically the HGU-4/P Aviators. They have seen some major wars including Operation Desert Storm. You may not know about the company but I can guarantee you that you've seen them in the wild.

John Hamm

Liev Scriber

Michael Keaton

And ofcourse the Lord God Almighty himself, Tom Cruise

I actually own these especially since the size of your face is important. They come in 3 sizes 52mm, 55mm, 58mm. Since I have a small face, the 52mm fit perfectly on me and they look good. Sizing is also why everyone looks like a fukboi wearing Ray Ban Aviators because they don't know that you have to fit the sunglasses to the width of your face from temple to temple. Not walk into a petrol station and buy them off the rack. Not to mention the RE sunglasses are God tier in terms of quality. I haven't even had the screws on the end go loose unlike every other sunglasses where I have re-tighten them every 4 weeks.

I KNOW they are expensive and I know this is Red Flag Deals but I wanted to inject some /r/buyitforlife attitude into the forms. So if you want to say f*ck you to Luxxotica (owners of RayBans) for cocking up the whole eyeglass market and go with a nice US made brand I encourage you guys to buy the Randolph Engineering sunglasses.
Last edited by craeyon on May 4th, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1215 posts
227 upvotes
@craeyon what when you have a huge head...just go with 58mm? Or don’t get them at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3352 posts
1422 upvotes
Vancouver
craeyon wrote: Ok time for a nice little bit of history.

The US Airforce and Military contracts eyeware companies and they have done so since 1917. They contracted a company called American Opticals (or AO) where they provided glasses for the military during WWI and WWII. Infact, in 1958, AO created the Flight Goggle 58 also known as the Original Pilot Sunglasses which were worn by Neil Armstrong and his crew during his Apollo 11 mission. The well known tear drop aviators that every fukboi wears were stolen.. uhem created... by Ray-Ban Signet in the 1950s, the shape of which was later flattened in 1957 to create the Ray-Ban Caravans as you see in OP's post. When I see the Ray-Ban Caravans there are two brands in American history that immediately spring to mind immediately. One as I have already mentioned, - AO and this next one you folks may not have heard of is a company called Randolph Engineering. In 1978, the US military contracts Randolph Engineering to produce their military spec square aviators for their pilots. Specifically the HGU-4/P Aviators. They have seen some major wars including Operation Desert Storm. You may not know about the company but I can guarantee you that you've seen them in the wild.

John Hamm

Liev Scriber

Michael Keaton

And ofcourse the Lord God Almighty himself, Tom Cruise

I actually own these especially since the size of you face is important. They come in 3 sizes 52mm, 55mm, 58mm. Since I have a small face the 52mm fit perfect on my face and they look good. Sizing is also why everyone look like a fukboi wearing Ray Ban Aviators because they don't know that you have to fit the sunglasses to the width of your face from temple to temple. Not walk into a petrol station and buy them off the rack. Not to mention the RE sunglasses are God tier in terms of quality. I haven't even had the screws on the end go loose unlike every other sunglasses where I have re-tighten them every 4 weeks.

I KNOW they are expensive and I know this is Red Flag Deals but I wanted to inject some /r/buyitforlife attitude into the forms. So if you want to say f*ck you to Luxxotica (owners of RayBans) for cocking up the whole eyeglass market and go with a nice US made brand I encourage you guys to buy the Randolph Engineering sunglasses.
I generally agree with most of what you've said and own a pair of AOs myself. They were actually cheaper than Ray Bans when I bought them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
craeyon wrote: Ok time for a nice little bit of history.

I actually own these especially since the size of your face is important. They come in 3 sizes 52mm, 55mm, 58mm. Since I have a small face, the 52mm fit perfectly on me and they look good. Sizing is also why everyone looks like a fukboi wearing Ray Ban Aviators because they don't know that you have to fit the sunglasses to the width of your face from temple to temple. Not walk into a petrol station and buy them off the rack. Not to mention the RE sunglasses are God tier in terms of quality. I haven't even had the screws on the end go loose unlike every other sunglasses where I have re-tighten them every 4 weeks.

Agree the quality of RE is excellent- I have a pair of Crew Chiefs. I'd buy their Original Aviators, or AO's, but I find the 20mm bridge is too wide, can make you look bug like-- see Liev's AO's.. The AO nose pads also sit lower than RE's, so they sit higher on the face, too high IMO

Last edited by Kfox on May 4th, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
And for you ladies out there, the Caravan's are unisex Image Julia Roberts
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1216 posts
803 upvotes
Kfox wrote: Agree the quality of RE is excellent- I have a pair of Crew Chiefs. I'd buy their Original Aviators, or AO's, but I find the 20mm bridge is too wide, can make you look bug like-- see Liev
Have you tried pressing the nose grips up a little bit? It won't change the nose bridge width but it will make them sit a little bit down which won't make the nose bridge look as wide. The RE aviators have such a high rise on the nose bridge which I am guessing is because of the need to accommodate the nose tip of the oxygen masks that pilots have to wear.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
AO makes a quality piece, I'm sure they'd sell a lot more if they'd expand their lineup with some updated looks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
craeyon wrote: Have you tried pressing the nose grips up a little bit? It won't change the nose bridge width but it will make them sit a little bit down which won't make the nose bridge look as wide. The RE aviators have such a high rise on the nose bridge which I am guessing is because of the need to accommodate the nose tip of the oxygen masks that pilots have to wear.
You mean raising the nose pads up the frame? Looking at my crew chiefs (same nose pad design I believe) that would require extending the pads away from the frame....I'm thinking that would make them sit too far from face
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5579 posts
2160 upvotes
Debtario
If you have a time machine, these were a much hotter deal back in 2015: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-r ... s-1729781/
14K gold plated titanium frames, polarized P3+ gold mirror lenses.
Bishop8 wrote: I generally agree with most of what you've said and own a pair of AOs myself. They were actually cheaper than Ray Bans when I bought them.
+1. AOs were amazing value when they were around $50. Very tough build quality and the bayonet arms are very comfortable under a hat/helmet/earmuffs, which is their intended use. I still wear mine occasionally, but much prefer the grey-green G15 tint and ergonomics of the RB aviator and caravan.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5579 posts
2160 upvotes
Debtario
althanis wrote: The most ridiculous nonsense I’ve seen posted here in a while.
I'm sorry you feel that way. My intention was to illustrate how this deal compares to previous deals so that members can gauge the hotness of OP's deal. That's the spirit of the Hot Deals section; Yeah it may be on sale, but how good of a deal is this deal? Other posters have already mentioned solid alternatives that get you more for your money with a similar style, but nobody offered up comparisons with other RB sales or referenced price trackers.

If you want me to be more comprehensive: According to 3C, the historical low price of these glasses has been $107. You can also find most RB sunglasses at Costco for $120 regular price year round. For a non-polarized model with standard G15 lenses this is about average price, unless you are going by the inflated boutique retail prices as seen at sunglass hut and other retailers. In any case, RFD has spoken with users downvoting this thread subtly indicating this is not such a hot deal.

RFD PROTIP: Time machines are sometimes mentioned on RFD when a current deal is compared to a previous deal that is no longer available. Typical usage is in reply to a comment critiquing a deal based on a previous better deal, in which the poster replies (often with sarcasm) "Got a time machine?".
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4200 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: I'm sorry you feel that way. My intention was to illustrate how this deal compares to previous deals so that members can gauge the hotness of OP's deal. That's the spirit of the Hot Deals section; Yeah it may be on sale, but how good of a deal is this deal? Other posters have already mentioned solid alternatives that get you more for your money with a similar style, but nobody offered up comparisons with other RB sales or referenced price trackers.

If you want me to be more comprehensive: According to 3C, the historical low price of these glasses has been $107. You can also find most RB sunglasses at Costco for $120 regular price year round. For a non-polarized model with standard G15 lenses this is about average price, unless you are going by the inflated boutique retail prices as seen at sunglass hut and other retailers. In any case, RFD has spoken with users downvoting this thread subtly indicating this is not such a hot deal.

RFD PROTIP: Time machines are sometimes mentioned on RFD when a current deal is compared to a previous deal that is no longer available. Typical usage is in reply to a comment critiquing a deal based on a previous better deal, in which the poster replies (often with sarcasm) "Got a time machine?".
Except your comparison was made using a completely different, super premium model, never mind that it was 4 years ago! PROTIP: Useless post
Oct 5, 2017
471 posts
162 upvotes
Damn, we got the briefs + condoms + shades now. I'm fully equipped. Thanks, RFD!