Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Razer Kraken Tournament Edition Gaming Headset --- $80

[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Razer Kraken Tournament Edition Gaming Headset --- $80

Seems like a decent deal on Razer headphones. Was looking for a pair of decent gaming headphones since I didn't like the Corsair HS60s and saw this. Green color only available on Amazon but black and green available on BestBuy for same price however bought from Amazon since easier to return if needed.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ra ... k/13392508
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
25 replies
Mar 11, 2019
299 posts
276 upvotes
I have a pair of the lower end razer headphones and the microphone is junk. You need to be eating it for anyone to hear you. The 7 1 software was garbage but the headset is cool and comfortable to wear.if these were 2.4ghz wireless they would be a deal
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes
ATOMANTMAN wrote: I have a pair of the lower end razer headphones and the microphone is junk. You need to be eating it for anyone to hear you. The 7 1 software was garbage but the headset is cool and comfortable to wear.if these were 2.4ghz wireless they would be a deal
Damn I might have to cancel my order didn't know the mic was bad but was weary about it....do you happen to know a decent budget gaming headset?
Jan 2, 2017
274 posts
215 upvotes
aomous wrote: Damn I might have to cancel my order didn't know the mic was bad but was weary about it....do you happen to know a decent budget gaming headset?
There was a sennheiser gsp 300 headset at SDM for 79$ (some locations had it for lower) deal posted couple of weeks ago that may still be in stock at some locations.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1071 posts
718 upvotes
Calgary
I'll give you guys my honest take. I bought the Razer Nari Wireless ($170 on sale) and it was awesome but my friends on Discord had constant complaints about the Mic. I tried every possible troubleshooting method but it was a no go. Returned em. Maybe wireless tech isn't just ready for primetime on PC gaming yet but I look forward to the day.

I have a lot of other Razer products so I wanted to stay in the ecosystem. I bought the Kraken Tournament Edition (Black) from Amazon because it was on sale and they've been fantastic. No issues on Discord since it's wired and the mic has been perfect. It also has a retractable Mic so if you want to use them as headphones you can hide the mic. The earcups are comfy but they're fairly big. When you register the headset you get access to the Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound (Seperate application) and it makes a big difference for both speakers and the headset.

The headphones themselves have an inline volume control wheel as well as a mute button. It includes a USB DAC so you can plug the headphones in and control game audio as well as chat audio (Discord in my case) seperatly. It also has granular Bass control on the DAC but I haven't fiddled with that much.

The Spatial Audio works great for FPS games. You can enable or disable it on the DAC. I tested it with CoD Black Ops Cold War and it makes a night and day difference when hearing footsteps and other important gaming audio. Just my two cents but I highly recommend these.
Nov 27, 2013
95 posts
71 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was able to price beat this at Memory Express and get it down to $73.99 in case anyone was interested. I used the Bestbuy.ca link in the online price beat tool.
Mar 7, 2011
823 posts
816 upvotes
Bought it. Hated it. Returned it. Money refunded. Cycle complete. What a waste of life.
May 25, 2009
689 posts
285 upvotes
I been using this for almost a year and it's really comfortable for eyeglass wearers. Some headphones clamp way too tight on the frames.

In regards to the Microphone, make sure to edit the settings in the razer application. Under Mic settings, Click on Enhancements, Volume Normalization. This fixed my issues of others not being able to hear me on in game chat. Discord I haven't had an issue chatting with others.
Dec 12, 2018
195 posts
243 upvotes
This is by far the worst thing that I purchased during Black Friday last year. Sounds like you're listening through a 30 meter long string phone. You can google it, people have equalizer settings for it which makes it a bit better but it's still trash.

The only thing that sounds decent is the helicopter sound straight from the surround sound demo in the Razer application.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes
RuLa Of Da WoRlD wrote: I'll give you guys my honest take. I bought the Razer Nari Wireless ($170 on sale) and it was awesome but my friends on Discord had constant complaints about the Mic. I tried every possible troubleshooting method but it was a no go. Returned em. Maybe wireless tech isn't just ready for primetime on PC gaming yet but I look forward to the day.

I have a lot of other Razer products so I wanted to stay in the ecosystem. I bought the Kraken Tournament Edition (Black) from Amazon because it was on sale and they've been fantastic. No issues on Discord since it's wired and the mic has been perfect. It also has a retractable Mic so if you want to use them as headphones you can hide the mic. The earcups are comfy but they're fairly big. When you register the headset you get access to the Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound (Seperate application) and it makes a big difference for both speakers and the headset.

The headphones themselves have an inline volume control wheel as well as a mute button. It includes a USB DAC so you can plug the headphones in and control game audio as well as chat audio (Discord in my case) seperatly. It also has granular Bass control on the DAC but I haven't fiddled with that much.

The Spatial Audio works great for FPS games. You can enable or disable it on the DAC. I tested it with CoD Black Ops Cold War and it makes a night and day difference when hearing footsteps and other important gaming audio. Just my two cents but I highly recommend these.
Thanks a lot for your review!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1557 posts
751 upvotes
Keep an eye on the cooler master mh 751(or 752 if you care about usb audio). Its a much better headset. That said, if you want to go cheap, the razer blackshark V2 X is prob. the best value even before it goes on sale. I wouldnt touch any other razor headset though, since they're all pretty widely panned by reviewers.

I'm personally using takstar pro 82(can be found on aliexpress for around $65. Same frame and drivers that coolermaster uses in the mh751 but no mic) and a modmic 4 i bought off kijiji for $20. Its a less elegant setup than the coolermaster, but i put it together before they released the mh751.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2591 posts
764 upvotes
A friend of mine has one of these and it occasionally shocks her ear. Contacted Razr and they didn't give a shit. Razr is garbage! There's even burn marks on the headset.
Apr 25, 2017
46 posts
52 upvotes
I have a pair of Razer Kraken that I've been using very very rigorously for maybe 4 years. I got them for cheap from Kijiji (sealed box, don't buy used headsets lol) so I can't tell you what the original price was.

Pros:
- comfortable: been wearing them for about 40 hours per week for 4 years, doesn't really get uncomfortable until after 8hrs straight, YMMV ofc.
- sturdy: haven't really been careful with them, I throw them into my backpack with my laptop fairly often, the cord gets tangled up in my office chair casters often, haven't broken anything yet.
- design: I like the look and the compactness, folds up real well for portability, the retractable mic and the in-line mute toggle switch + led indicator are real good features.
- RGB: if you're a GAMER(TM) and you love your RGBs, then the Razer Chroma system is pretty sweet. Personally I don't give a shit but Razer Chroma has a lot of integration with existing games.
- spatial audio: works exactly as advertised.

Cons:
- drivers/software: the f*cking drivers gives me grief sometimes, currently having major issues with some games just straight up not having sound (don't starve together, overcooked 2), any other speakers/earbuds/headsets work, just not the Kraken. Haven't put too much effort into troubleshooting this issue beyond a driver uninstall and reinstall.

Other Comments:
- I am NOT an audiophile but the sound seems fine to my unrefined ears, don't really have any good comparison. I would think people get these for gaming anyway, and at this current price it seems a decent bargain.
- no one has complained about my mic in Discord or games.
- have had to replace the ear foam padding once, got them for dirt cheap from Aliexpress, they're not as long lasting as the OEM ones that came with the Kraken but they are still going strong.
- the one I got doesn't have an USB DAC so idk what that does.
- the one in the listing doesn't appear to have the LED indicator nor the mute button right on the mic boom. The USB DAC has a mute button though.

Slightly off-topic, but for my next headset I'm looking for a pair of wireless gaming headset. Does anyone have any recommendations under $150 ($200 max)?
Last edited by AdjutantAvocado on Jan 11th, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
I'm way out of the target demographic for these. Other than when I'm sitting in my dedicated 7.4.4 home theater room watching movies, I do not care about how I consume sound (listening to music in the car, cheap sound bar watching TV , MPOW headphones when I run).
My son bought a pair of these 5 years ago and wore them until they literally fell apart. He replaced them last month with the exact same pair (paid around this price) and he's back in business spending all day between online school, bombing the universe into oblivion online gaming, and chatting on discord. He swears by them. We generally put on average about a grand a year into his rig in upgrades and these are the headphones he swears by.
Aug 8, 2013
46 posts
83 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
crutzulee wrote: I'm way out of the target demographic for these. Other than when I'm sitting in my dedicated 7.4.4 home theater room watching movies, I do not care about how I consume sound (listening to music in the car, cheap sound bar watching TV , MPOW headphones when I run).
My son bought a pair of these 5 years ago and wore them until they literally fell apart. He replaced them last month with the exact same pair (paid around this price) and he's back in business spending all day between online school, bombing the universe into oblivion online gaming, and chatting on discord. He swears by them. We generally put on average about a grand a year into his rig in upgrades and these are the headphones he swears by.

$1000 every year on upgrades? Whaaaa.... Thats like a new system every year
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes
crutzulee wrote: I'm way out of the target demographic for these. Other than when I'm sitting in my dedicated 7.4.4 home theater room watching movies, I do not care about how I consume sound (listening to music in the car, cheap sound bar watching TV , MPOW headphones when I run).
mann i wish in the future when i have kids i can have a theatre setup like you and be able to spoil my kid like that haha...thats actually amazing
[OP]
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes
Also hold up does 7.4.4 mean you have 4 separate subs??? Whats the other .4 for?
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah...$1000 is like an average... But I misspoke if I've given anyone the impression that my kids are spoiled by me ponying up the money.

We live in a world full of spoiled kids/adults. There's nothing I hate worse than a waste of skin and plasma. Old man rant over..

Just like me, both my kids have been employed from the age of 14, both are national level athletes and straight A students. My son takes after his mother. He will agonize over a buying decision and squeeze the crown off the queen on a penny. But like me, once he sees value in something (computer equipment for him, HT gear for me), he'll spend his hard earned money and enjoy. He has loved the headphones that are the subject of this thread and has assigned them the value listed here. He bought the new ones last month at my edging because the old ones were down to the bare foam.

As far as my HT goes. I have a beautiful 4K image projected on a 100" screen with stadium seating. I have 4 subs because between REDFLAGDEALS and Kijiji, I have put together this unbelievable system for less than what many people spend on a 65' OLED TV. I also have 65' TV in my living room - Just one of the cheapie RCA ones that popup on this site from time to time. The proper presentation of film is very important to me. I am not wealthy by any means. My dedicated room is ugly as sin painted black full of ugly black boxes but when the lights go down, you can't wipe the smile off my face. I think my son feels the same way about Cyberpunk or whatever game he was up until 3 am playing.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49507 posts
5860 upvotes
Toronto
crutzulee wrote: Yeah...$1000 is like an average... But I misspoke if I've given anyone the impression that my kids are spoiled by me ponying up the money.

We live in a world full of spoiled kids/adults. There's nothing I hate worse than a waste of skin and plasma. Old man rant over..

Just like me, both my kids have been employed from the age of 14, both are national level athletes and straight A students. My son takes after his mother. He will agonize over a buying decision and squeeze the crown off the queen on a penny. But like me, once he sees value in something (computer equipment for him, HT gear for me), he'll spend his hard earned money and enjoy. He has loved the headphones that are the subject of this thread and has assigned them the value listed here. He bought the new ones last month at my edging because the old ones were down to the bare foam.

As far as my HT goes. I have a beautiful 4K image projected on a 100" screen with stadium seating. I have 4 subs because between REDFLAGDEALS and Kijiji, I have put together this unbelievable system for less than what many people spend on a 65' OLED TV. I also have 65' TV in my living room - Just one of the cheapie RCA ones that popup on this site from time to time. The proper presentation of film is very important to me. I am not wealthy by any means. My dedicated room is ugly as sin painted black full of ugly black boxes but when the lights go down, you can't wipe the smile off my face. I think my son feels the same way about Cyberpunk or whatever game he was up until 3 am playing.
You had me until you said your son enjoys playing Cyberpunk...