Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Red Dragon K552 Red LED Mechanical Keyboard - $34.58 no tax

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3038 posts
363 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Red Dragon K552 Red LED Mechanical Keyboard - $34.58 no tax

Was looking to try out a mechanical keyboard and saw th is one on Amazon Canada's Deal of the Day. For less than $35 and no tax, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Reviews looked great.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
38 replies
Sep 9, 2008
249 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
no num pad
all your staples coupons are belong to us
Sep 2, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
The RGB version also seems to be on sale for 47.59 $ (Redragon K552-RGB). Still no numpad though
May 3, 2006
241 posts
47 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
I have the K552 RGB - great keyboard - I like it better than the Logitech G910, simply because the keys did not fail. I've had the K552 for nearly a year now, still works well. Programming the backlight is a little bit awkward as the software is not as polished as Logitech's. I think I paid $48 for mine from amazon.ca.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4241 posts
1295 upvotes
Unfortunately, the lack of numpad is becoming increasingly common nowadays. I can understand it for a variety of reasons, but I'm haunted by failing a job interview typing test for 911 operator because I was used to a non-standard keyboard layout at home so coming into an office that led to a couple unnecessary errors. So by the book for me! (Although, I need media keys at the top).
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Jul 22, 2014
727 posts
1319 upvotes
Calgary, AB
EngineNo9 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 1:26 pm
no num pad
RiCHC3 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 1:41 pm
Unfortunately, the lack of numpad is becoming increasingly common nowadays. I can understand it for a variety of reasons, but I'm haunted by failing a job interview typing test for 911 operator because I was used to a non-standard keyboard layout at home so coming into an office that led to a couple unnecessary errors. So by the book for me! (Although, I need media keys at the top).
No numpad keyboards are referred to as "Tenkeyless" and they are not a bad thing, just a specific use case, mainly gaming.

The main reason to buy a Tenkeyless keyboard is to reduce the keyboard's footprint, allow your mouse hand to have more room to move and be closer to your keyboard hand.
Jun 7, 2013
192 posts
132 upvotes
Mascouche
There are some gaming keyboards out there (with numpad). A few days back, Dell.ca had a 10% cashback (with Rakuten) so I went for this one:

Keyboard

I also got another 15% off with my corporate code, so it made this a little more acceptable for me as the price is high. The older model and a different model from Dell are also on 'sale' at the moment.

+1 for the lack of multimedia buttons and Logitech's reliabilty issues. Since I can program this keyboard, I will try to compensate that way for the lack of play/next/previous track buttons (it has a big wheel to control the volume...)
Jun 17, 2017
13 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
I've actually been using the RGB version of the Redragon with "blue" switches at work for sometime now and I have nothing but praise for it. I have fancier mechanical keyboards at home, including a ducky shine and I can't say I've noticed enough to justify ever paying that high of a price for a mechanical keyboard again. For $47 or $35 non RGB version I highly recommend.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
46432 posts
4599 upvotes
Toronto
maxleung wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 1:39 pm
I have the K552 RGB - great keyboard - I like it better than the Logitech G910, simply because the keys did not fail. I've had the K552 for nearly a year now, still works well. Programming the backlight is a little bit awkward as the software is not as polished as Logitech's. I think I paid $48 for mine from amazon.ca.
+1 same experience here, still using it right now. I think i paid like less than $35 at CC. I've gone through multiple mechanical keyboards which are $80 to $100 and this one feels just as good. Gone through Steelseries MX Blacks, CM Storm MX Reds, now with this keyboard with Non Cherry MX Blues.
Dec 10, 2014
586 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This keyboard is good to get a "feel" for what cherry blues feel like. It's $39.99 no tax regular price though, so this is just slightly warm. I moved on to more expensive ones like Ducky though cause the quality is just higher if you want to ever upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1108 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
Dennisrfd wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 2:45 pm
I'd pass, the real review shows C
https://www.fakespot.com/product/redrag ... a962571c1a
I wouldn't rely much on amazon reviews for this kind of products tbh.
Redragon's been around for years now, decent choice for those "ultra budget" mechanic keyboards. Back in the days when Gigabytes K83 were easily found for sub $50, it wouldn't much sense grab "lesser known" switch (outemu) against a cherry, but now that they're gone, seems like redragon's back in the menu
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2005 posts
1349 upvotes
Ottawa
Blue switches are super loud. Don't get this if you're planning to use in an office or if you plan on using it in a quiet environment.
Nov 26, 2013
53 posts
21 upvotes
Edmonton
The switches are from Outemu which is a pretty decent producer.
Kailh, Greetech, Outemu, TTC switches may feel slightly different from Cherry ones but at this price range who cares Smiling Face With Open Mouth