Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Red WD 4TB Portable External Hard Drive $99.99

[OP]
Aug 8, 2014
99 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon.ca] Red WD 4TB Portable External Hard Drive $99.99

At $25/TB, it's at an ok price. There have been other hard drives in the past (particularly pre coivd) for less $/TB, but if you need need the extra space now (and don't want to visit all your nearby Walmarts to see if they have any clearance drives), then this price isn't too offensive. This particular hard drive is currently at its lowest historical price on Amazon, according to Camel.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2139 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
That 'Red' label really got me.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21536 posts
156355 upvotes
GTA
I am assuming these are frankendrives (if something should happen to the controller, it's game over as it is soldered to the drive). Got burned with a Toshiba that was like that.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2014
99 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vtse wrote: That 'Red' label really got me.
Ah, my bad. I was trying to specify that the deal was only for the 'red' colour model and totally forgot that 'red' could totally mean something different in this context. Before posting, I even tried looking up which hard drive series might be inside, so I don't know how it slipped my mind. I didn't end up finding any info about it, but it's most likely not going to be a WD red.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1045 posts
600 upvotes
canada
So these are garbage? 7 people bought super fast lol

Was about to buy 4 before the frankendrive comment
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21536 posts
156355 upvotes
GTA
Just to clarify, I'm not saying this is a bad deal as it's a pretty good $ per TB price, just be careful with what you are trusting this thing to store. These types of drives are more useful/suited for media, movies, things you have other copies of / can re-download if necessary. Using this as a daily use drive where the contents are constantly changing/being updated may not be the best idea.
Aug 19, 2013
661 posts
486 upvotes
TORONTO

Looks like frankendrive as with all WD portable drives. Seagate is your only option if you want to take the drive out
Jul 2, 2014
20 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP
Just picked up one
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
1869 posts
1683 upvotes
Whitby
Frankendrive deal is dead. Must have sold all the losers. CDN$ 144.99