Shopping Discussion

Amazon.ca Refunded My Money Before They Received The Return???

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2014 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2016 posts
1075 upvotes
Montreal

Amazon.ca Refunded My Money Before They Received The Return???

So I bought a watch on Amazon.ca and returned it to the post office yesterday in Montreal, QC at 2pm with the return mailing label going to Mississauga, ON. At 2am I got a written confirmation that my refund had been processed. But I checked the tracking number and the item had still not been received by Amazon and was still en route!

How can they issue a refund without receiving, opening and inspecting the return??
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
681 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I get instant refunds from Amazon(com). If they don't get the package back within 30 days, they would just reverse the refund and take their money back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2016 posts
1075 upvotes
Montreal
Beachdown wrote: I get instant refunds from Amazon(com). If they don't get the package back within 30 days, they would just reverse the refund and take their money back.
Weird because to my knowledge, credit card refunds are not reversable. They have to get your authorization to charge again.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Hi OP, no cause for concern, happens to me as well. I believe what they do is issue the refund automatically once the return RMA they sent you is scanned at the post office. It's a customer service thing, they just give you the refund as soon as possible rather than making you wait until the item is returned.

What will happen next is in the next few days or so you will get another email saying they received the returned item.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1877 posts
585 upvotes
its because amazon actually has good C/S.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
2011 posts
316 upvotes
boo, wish that happened to me. Just got an email saying they received my item and refund will be processed in 1-2 business days. Guess it differs on the seller? My return was also a watch.
Some people meditate, I smoke cigars.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
Great service, don't complain.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9937 posts
2561 upvotes
i ordered some Blu Rays last year from amazon.ca, they didn't arrive after 30 days, the shipping number just kept saying "in transit". i called them, they refunded my money, and the blu rays showed up around 2 weeks later at my house, they never called or anything to ask me to return them.
Jun 29, 2007
580 posts
39 upvotes
Once i bought the wrong book from amazon and wanted to return it. They issued a refund and said i could keep the book lol :P (brought an abridged version instead of the full version of a book) This is probably based on transaction history though so YMMV. I guess their 'service' worked because now i never hesitate to purchase books from them.