[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1020 posts
423 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Reolink 16 Channel 5MP Video Surveillance System,

Good deal on a 16ch, 8 Cam POE system.
Reolink 16 Channel 5MP Video Surveillance System
16CH NVR with 3TB HDD, Support 5MP/4MP/1080p/720p, with 8 PoE Security Cameras for 24/7 Recording& Remote Home Monitoring System
Model RLK16-410B8-5MP

NO TAX!!!!
Images
  • reolink poe.JPG
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1833 posts
167 upvotes
Anyone have experience with 5MP vs 4K? Contemplating on buying the Reolink with 8 dome cameras.

Also, dome or bullet Cameras? Did a bit of research and cannot find out why I should avoid installing some camera on a wall instead of bullet (even though I would install bullet if I had a choice).
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2784 posts
1453 upvotes
Questionz wrote: Anyone have experience with 5MP vs 4K? Contemplating on buying the Reolink with 8 dome cameras.

Also, dome or bullet Cameras? Did a bit of research and cannot find out why I should avoid installing some camera on a wall instead of bullet (even though I would install bullet if I had a choice).
I just put a couple Reolink 5MP domes up on my soffits. Picture quality is very good in daylight and ok at night. I'd like to grab a single 4K dome camera, but currently the 4K ones are only part of the bundle.
Aug 15, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
Questionz wrote: Anyone have experience with 5MP vs 4K? Contemplating on buying the Reolink with 8 dome cameras.

Installed a set for a friend last month
I wouldn't suggest to use bullet camera for house, dome or turret camera will be alot low profile
this bullet camera is 4mm which gives only about 75-80 degree FOV, while 2.8mm camera offers 95-100 degree FOV
It supports H.264 compression only, while H.265 compression will reduce the storage by half meaning your hard drive stores more dates of recording.
Keep in mind these cameras doesn't come with the bracket/backbox
Mounting on soffit is the best option, you can hide the cables inside the soffit
if mount on wall, you will need to drill a 3/4 inch hole to hide the waterproof rj45 lid behind the wall
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1833 posts
167 upvotes
JayS97839 wrote: Installed a set for a friend last month
I wouldn't suggest to use bullet camera for house, dome or turret camera will be alot low profile
this bullet camera is 4mm which gives only about 75-80 degree FOV, while 2.8mm camera offers 95-100 degree FOV
It supports H.264 compression only, while H.265 compression will reduce the storage by half meaning your hard drive stores more dates of recording.
Keep in mind these cameras doesn't come with the bracket/backbox
Mounting on soffit is the best option, you can hide the cables inside the soffit
if mount on wall, you will need to drill a 3/4 inch hole to hide the waterproof rj45 lid behind the wall
Thank you for the invaluable advice. Surprised 3/4” hole is required, but I guess it’s for all the other wires from the dome camera to hide in. I was contemplating on a pvc box but I guess that would look pretty ugly.
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1833 posts
167 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Bullet and turret style cameras have many advantages over dome style. Domes hit by direct sunlight will reflect it internally, domes can reflect their own IR at night, they usually have a larger mounting footprint, they have to be mounted to a surface that's flat in 2 axes since the lens is mounted directly to the base (most but not all turret and bullet style have mounts that allow 3 axes of rotation), and they're more susceptible to building up spiderwebs (though for webs, bullet style is much worse).

Dome have one advantage - to the naked eye from a distance you can't tell which way they're pointing. With viewing angles being so absurd on most consumer oriented cameras today that's not such a big difference, and at night IR gives away the angle, but it is a valid point.

Dome and turret are more vandal resistant (about equal), but if someone is close enough to touch your camera I think it's too late either way.
Well I guess in my case since I bought the one with 8 dome cameras if this occurs I’ll swap it out for a bullet type and figure out another use for the done :/

Maybe install in common area of home - I hear in markham that’s the preference as people are breaking in in broad daylight. Scary.
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Nov 11, 2006
767 posts
857 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
I just upgraded my old KGuard system to the bullet style Reolink setup with the 2tb hard drive.

The app and setup for these cameras is super easy, almost foolproof.

I bought junction boxes (made of metal) to route all the cabling thru and mount the cameras.

The bullet cams have a nice wide FOV and work for my particular needs, a plus side they have audio.
Nov 29, 2016
55 posts
32 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Bullet and turret style cameras have many advantages over dome style. Domes hit by direct sunlight will reflect it internally, domes can reflect their own IR at night, they usually have a larger mounting footprint, they have to be mounted to a surface that's flat in 2 axes since the lens is mounted directly to the base (most but not all turret and bullet style have mounts that allow 3 axes of rotation), and they're more susceptible to building up spiderwebs (though for webs, bullet style is much worse).

Dome have one advantage - to the naked eye from a distance you can't tell which way they're pointing. With viewing angles being so absurd on most consumer oriented cameras today that's not such a big difference, and at night IR gives away the angle, but it is a valid point.

Dome and turret are more vandal resistant (about equal), but if someone is close enough to touch your camera I think it's too late either way.
agreed with you on the dome part
it would be the worst when dust got on the cover, pretty much the camera gone blind with ir light on at? night
Dome camera is easy to get water inside the camera somehow
with all the disadvantage with the dome camera, I use it indoor only.
The Spyder web, reminds me of went to London just to clean up the web on a bullet cam in the middle of a summer night.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6140 posts
1925 upvotes
Calgary
I prefer domes as well, bullet cams are easy to just knock a different direction to avoid being seen, makes it pretty useless
Nov 29, 2016
55 posts
32 upvotes
Questionz wrote: Thank you for the invaluable advice. Surprised 3/4” hole is required, but I guess it’s for all the other wires from the dome camera to hide in. I was contemplating on a pvc box but I guess that would look pretty ugly.
i have seen ppl mount the camera on a 4x4 square junction box, yea it is dead ugly.
I used the universal bracket from Dahua camera at my friend's house.
It doesn't look like original but it isn't ugly at all.
something like this for your reference:
https://www.infinitecables.com/security ... eras-white

excuse the price, there is cheaper around