Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Reolink PoE Security IP Camera 5MP Ultra HD Dome Outdoor with Audio RLC-420-5MP for 79.99 with coupon (Great Deal)

[OP]
Newbie
Apr 15, 2009
84 posts
174 upvotes

Reolink PoE Security IP Camera 5MP Ultra HD Dome Outdoor with Audio RLC-420-5MP for 79.99 with coupon (Great Deal)

Deal Link:
Price:
79.99
Savings:
25%
Retailer:
Amazon.ca
Hey,

If you are in the market for an IP security camera, I noticed this one on sale when you apply the $30 coupon making it 79.99. This is one of the lowest prices according to camel camel.

It has good reviews and from previous thread discussions, it can survive the Winnipeg winter conditions of Canada.

Deal link:
https://www.amazon.ca/Reolink-Security- ... op?ie=UTF8

Description:
- 1440P HD TURRET CAM: 2560x1440P HD turret cam with resolution of 4MP, 18pcs embedded infrared LEDs to get 100ft decent night vision range, 4mm lens with 80˚ wide viewing angle.
- PLUG & PLAY POE INDOOR&OUTDOOR: Wired PoE dome camera, plug and play, ceiling-mounted, versatile in applications and easy installation, indoor and outdoor use.
- SD Card or NVR RECORDING: Comes with SD card slot( SD card not included), support up to 64Gb micro SD card for recording. 24/7 HD video recording and storage with Reolink PoE network video recorders (support up to 16 cameras and with built-in 3TB HDD).
- MOTION DETECTION & EMAIL ALERT: Flexible motion detection (set detection zone, schedule detection and adjust sensibility), real-time and accurate movement alert via app push notification, email, support automatically upload motion-triggered image capture and recording to FTP.
- FREE APPS & NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE: Rich feature and functions in free apps for iPhone, Android, Windows PC, Mac, no subscription fee, live view, remote access, motion alert, multiple channels(at least 8 camera sources), intuitive and easy to navigate user interface.

Cheers
11 replies
Newbie
Aug 30, 2012
12 posts
2 upvotes
AJAX
Would have picked up a couple if they were dark colours (brown/black).
Anyway, thanks OP.
Newbie
Nov 14, 2018
6 posts
The main thing to look out for when buying cameras is Lens size. The bigger the lens size, the smaller the view angle. I find that cameras with smaller view angles are generally cheaper than the average cam out there that has about 110 degrees of viewing angles.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
1969 posts
1357 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Camaro6cylinder wrote: The main thing to look out for when buying cameras is Lens size. The bigger the lens size, the smaller the view angle. I find that cameras with smaller view angles are generally cheaper than the average cam out there that has about 110 degrees of viewing angles.
Price is not very different, when you are dealing with the same camera model. I often use hikvision cameras, and most dome models come in 2.8mm, 4mm or 6mm lenses. When I order them, there is often close to no difference in price.
Each has it's own purpose.
The higher, the "mm" of the lens, the narrower the field of view typically, yes.. But the higher the "mm" then the closer your objects appear, and often clearer in consequence. It's a trade-off. There is no one size fits all.
Most consumer dome cameras use 2.8mm lens (ex: Amcrest). And typically if you order a unit which has various lenses available, if you don't specify, they will assume 2.8mm.

ex: if you need to monitor a small parking lot.. You could use a 2.8mm lens on a camera to get a nice wide view of the whole lot. But you willl then use a 6mm (or higher) lens on another camera which would be capturing the activity at the entrance/exit. This way, if you do see anything in the global view (2.8mm), you will not get super details --- then you can review the footage and get a higher quality footage from the high "mm" lens pointed at the entrance/exit. If you are doing live monitoring of a parking lot, you would also consider using a varifocal unit, with PTZ, so you could manually zoom into different areas, and zoom out when doing basic monitoring.

This is very simplified explanation. But "mm" is not the only measurement. There are MANY factors that come into play. And there are various qualities of Lenses and CCD. There is a reason why some are $100 units, and others are $1000 units for apparently similar specs on the surface..
Member
Aug 9, 2006
392 posts
30 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Price is not very different, when you are dealing with the same camera model. I often use hikvision cameras, and most dome models come in 2.8mm, 4mm or 6mm lenses. When I order them, there is often close to no difference in price.
Each has it's own purpose.
The higher, the "mm" of the lens, the narrower the field of view typically, yes.. But the higher the "mm" then the closer your objects appear, and often clearer in consequence. It's a trade-off. There is no one size fits all.
Most consumer dome cameras use 2.8mm lens (ex: Amcrest). And typically if you order a unit which has various lenses available, if you don't specify, they will assume 2.8mm.

ex: if you need to monitor a small parking lot.. You could use a 2.8mm lens on a camera to get a nice wide view of the whole lot. But you willl then use a 6mm (or higher) lens on another camera which would be capturing the activity at the entrance/exit. This way, if you do see anything in the global view (2.8mm), you will not get super details --- then you can review the footage and get a higher quality footage from the high "mm" lens pointed at the entrance/exit. If you are doing live monitoring of a parking lot, you would also consider using a varifocal unit, with PTZ, so you could manually zoom into different areas, and zoom out when doing basic monitoring.

This is very simplified explanation. But "mm" is not the only measurement. There are MANY factors that come into play. And there are various qualities of Lenses and CCD. There is a reason why some are $100 units, and others are $1000 units for apparently similar specs on the surface..
Anybody able to recommend a POE with wifi capabilities?

I have old Roger's equipment with the wiring already in place. Looking to just switch it out.

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
1969 posts
1357 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FightCanada wrote: Anybody able to recommend a POE with wifi capabilities?

I have old Roger's equipment with the wiring already in place. Looking to just switch it out.

Thanks
I don't know many that have WiFi and still support PoE (obviously doesn't mean they don't exist). However you can always just use a PoE splitter if you already have a PoE rj45 available at the location.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATQK

You can plug it into the RJ45 with PoE into the unit, and then tap the required (and adjustable - 5/9/12V) voltage from the box, to feed the camera.

But is the location so out of the way to just run the 12V power supply ?
Well, I wanted PoE for my cameras, and I figured, since I was going to run CAT6 to every location for the PoE, I may as well just hardwire them all to an ethernet switch. Yes it was a little work up front, but a lot easier if you change routers, etc... Don't have to reconnect all the cameras.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
1969 posts
1357 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Jon Lai wrote: Any QNAP support?
I don't have any reolink cameras, but it does state:
"Support ONVIF 2.1, such as Blue Iris, iSpy"

So if it does indeed support ONVIF properly, then both Qnap and Synology should be able to support it using surveillance station.

QNAP instructions: https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... as-to-QNAP
Synology instructions: https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ce-Station

QNAP Surveillance station camera compatibility list also has it listed: https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility-s ... nd=Reolink
And if you use Qnap's QVR Pro instead, it is also on the list of compatible cameras.
Member
Aug 9, 2006
392 posts
30 upvotes
Emporium wrote: I don't know many that have WiFi and still support PoE (obviously doesn't mean they don't exist). However you can always just use a PoE splitter if you already have a PoE rj45 available at the location.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATQK

You can plug it into the RJ45 with PoE into the unit, and then tap the required (and adjustable - 5/9/12V) voltage from the box, to feed the camera.

But is the location so out of the way to just run the 12V power supply ?
Well, I wanted PoE for my cameras, and I figured, since I was going to run CAT6 to every location for the PoE, I may as well just hardwire them all to an ethernet switch. Yes it was a little work up front, but a lot easier if you change routers, etc... Don't have to reconnect all the cameras.
Thanks for the thorough reply. The rj45 has already been drilled through the wall to the outside. There's a camera there that I want to replace. The rj45 is running into, from what I can tell a poe injector now which is just plugged into a wall. This is the Roger's home monitoring equipment which is no longer in use. New to this but if you have any knowledge of it I'm all ears.

Thanks

Top