• Jul 1st, 2020 9:41 am
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
182 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] Ring Alarm 2nd Gen Security System (with Echo Dot) $214.99

5 piece ring alarm for sale $214.99
8 piece ring alarm for sale $259.99 (comes with 3 additional contact sensors)

This is the historical lowest price and first time the second gen has been on sale.

Don't forget to select the option for a free Echo Dot.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1650 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
Is Gen2 a significant upgrade over Gen1?
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
182 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
The 2nd Gen is currently cheaper than the 1st Gen. The 2nd Gen has new sensors that are smaller and a new keypad.
Jun 9, 2019
343 posts
436 upvotes
This would be way better if the sale included the 14-piece kit. I imagine most people have more than just four points of ground level (or otherwise relatively easy) entry into a house.

For future reference though, how does this fit into existing smart doorbell or camera ecosystems? Is it seamless or how many apps does it require?
Dec 1, 2009
776 posts
281 upvotes
Saint-Jean-Sur-Riche…
Nice! Good deal! Wish I could get this shipped to Quebec :/
Jul 14, 2019
103 posts
32 upvotes
you guys can get it at ring website. cheaper and free shipping.

8piece at 199usd.
10piece at 209usd.
14piece at 259usd.
Sep 7, 2002
974 posts
443 upvotes
Oomani wrote: This would be way better if the sale included the 14-piece kit. I imagine most people have more than just four points of ground level (or otherwise relatively easy) entry into a house.

For future reference though, how does this fit into existing smart doorbell or camera ecosystems? Is it seamless or how many apps does it require?
I have the Ring doorbell 2 + 1st gen home system. All controlled in 1 app called unsurprisingly: Ring. Haven't tried using it with other systems. The back of the keypad says zwave, if I recall correctly. The only lame thing is you have to buy a separate "chime" device to hear the doorbell. Even tho we have the home security base, you can't set it to chime/alarm when someone presses the doorbell.

We only have 2 contact sensors, but we positioned our 2 motion ones at places where people would have to go through to get to upstairs or through the main hallway/front foyer. It works well enough, I guess.
Jun 9, 2019
343 posts
436 upvotes
Wizkies wrote: you guys can get it at ring website. cheaper and free shipping.

8piece at 199usd.
10piece at 209usd.
14piece at 259usd.
This is only cheaper pre-conversion...
Apr 11, 2008
21 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
strife wrote: The only lame thing is you have to buy a separate "chime" device to hear the doorbell. Even tho we have the home security base, you can't set it to chime/alarm when someone presses the doorbell.
You can set it to ring to your existing doorbell or if you have an Amazon Echo dot or Echo show, you could make it ring to all your Alexa echo devices. It’s so cool what Ring and Alexa can integrate and talk to each other.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1650 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
Wizkies wrote: you guys can get it at ring website. cheaper and free shipping.

8piece at 199usd.
10piece at 209usd.
14piece at 259usd.
How is that cheaper? What exchange rate are you using? The 8 piece is $259 CAD on Amazon plus free Echo dot.
Sep 7, 2002
974 posts
443 upvotes
audio2k1 wrote: You can set it to ring to your existing doorbell or if you have an Amazon Echo dot or Echo show, you could make it ring to all your Alexa echo devices. It’s so cool what Ring and Alexa can integrate and talk to each other.
Oh ya? I have an echo dot that I got with it. Haven't used it.. it's just sitting around. That would be amazing to use it for something lol. Thanks

*Edit* Just set it up with this guide.

https://www.reviewed.com/smarthome/feat ... -heres-how
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1650 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a way to turn on lights when an alarm is triggered? I have GH and SmartThings. Not sure if Ring supports any integration with either?
[OP]
Oct 5, 2005
182 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
VertigoM wrote: Is there a way to turn on lights when an alarm is triggered? I have GH and SmartThings. Not sure if Ring supports any integration with either?
I believe it can be done using Alexa skills
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6484 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa
I have this rough in, should I cut my losses and get a ring system or should I diy with my GH and ST Hub?
Images
  • CB5B0931-92DD-4AE1-8661-BA9C074059EF.jpeg
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34525 posts
20562 upvotes
Center of Universe
VertigoM wrote: Is there a way to turn on lights when an alarm is triggered? I have GH and SmartThings. Not sure if Ring supports any integration with either?
There's no official integration what ST.
You can add Ring's smart lighting to work with the alarm.
However, if you have a Ring doorbell camera, you can use it as a motion detector within ST as a trigger.