[Amazon.ca] Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus with Echo Show 5 - $250

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 8:38 am
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
313 posts
411 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus with Echo Show 5 - $250

The price is the same for the doorbell on its own, so the Echo Show 5 is practically thrown in for free. The Doorbell 3 (non plus version) is $30 cheaper at $220, so not much of a discount there. The main difference with plus version is it has a 4-second preview before an event so you can see the lead-up. According to Keepa this is the lowest price so far. The bonus echo show appears to match the promo happening at Best Buy right now.
27 replies
Aug 8, 2003
936 posts
109 upvotes
Ontario
Do I need a subscription to see video's ?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1771 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto
Did they lower the doorbell price? I think 3plus was 299?
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Nov 28, 2014
109 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How are these in Canadian winters? Buddy told me the older version was terrible in the cold
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
4720 posts
3034 upvotes
Vancouver
pewpewpew wrote: How are these in Canadian winters? Buddy told me the older version was terrible in the cold
I know a few people who have no problem in Canadian winters with these. In Vancouver, Victoria, etc.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3234 posts
3306 upvotes
Vancouver
TheZodiac wrote: Do I need a subscription to see video's ?
US$30 per year subscription to be able to record video. You can still connect live without the recording subscription, But without recording, you will get alerts, and by the time you connect, there will be nothing there and no way to see what happened. Or you will arrive home to find your package gone from the doorstep, and no recording of what happened to it.

Ring has disabled all other methods of free recording to make sure you have to subscribe to their service.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3234 posts
3306 upvotes
Vancouver
pewpewpew wrote: How are these in Canadian winters? Buddy told me the older version was terrible in the cold
Battery issue. Some people forego the doorbell wiring and just operate the unit on the battery. But even using the wiring, often an old 16v low-current doorbell transformer doesn't supply enough real-time power to operate live streaming video and 2-way voice over Wifi, so the smart doorbell relies on the internal battery for a temporary boost, to be recharged later when the activity settles down. In extreme cold weather, the battery may be very weak, and a high amount of activity like frequent motion alert activations can drain it. But in most weather the electronics keep the inside of the casing warm enough for the battery. The Pro model simply requires you to upgrade your doorbell transformer so that it's not dependent on the battery.
Last edited by Scote64 on Aug 7th, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2019
313 posts
411 upvotes
neonic wrote: Did they lower the doorbell price? I think 3plus was 299?
Yes, the doorbell alone has been reduced as well to $250. But this deal also throws in the Echo Show 5.
Scote64 wrote: US$30 per year subscription to be able to record video. You can still connect live without the recording subscription, But without recording, you will get alerts, and by the time you connect, there will be nothing there and no way to see what happened. Or you will arrive home to find your package gone from the doorstep, and no recording of what happened to it.

Ring has disabled all other methods of free recording to make sure you have to subscribe to their service.
I believe that's the point of the plus version, which gives you 4 seconds of recording prior to the event.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3234 posts
3306 upvotes
Vancouver
Oomani wrote: I believe that's the point of the plus version, which gives you 4 seconds of recording prior to the event.
Without a recording subscription, there is no recording. That's why you can't see what happened.

Look at it this way: for US$30, the cost of one year of the recording subscription, you could buy a whole other IP cam with free recording and only have to pay for it once. But you've gone to a lot of trouble to position the Ring doorbell for optimum recording of the doorstep area, and it does have passive infrared motion sensing which works better to detect people than the image-based motion sensing of generic cameras.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33718 posts
19505 upvotes
Ottawa
I recommend the Ring Pro, if you're considering to go with the brand.
I've had mine for 3yrs now and it survived our cold winters here in Ottawa, without failing once.

With a good wifi connection, along with the recent app update, it's nearly instant to view live feeds or motion detected recordings.
Jan 25, 2016
243 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
newfbc wrote: I know a few people who have no problem in Canadian winters with these. In Vancouver, Victoria, etc.

Ron.
That’s not much of a winter in Victoria/Vancouver. This has worked great in Southern Ontario however.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
11921 posts
18786 upvotes
This is what you will see with no subscription. It will alert there was a motion but won't record.it. The doorbell feature will work if you answer. But with a Ring, they probably left already since it's so slow
Images
  • E3DE3F1E-4E46-4921-ABD8-54208B3A1987.png
  • A1C42595-13A2-4288-933C-A14FC11D8148.png
Dec 25, 2018
186 posts
261 upvotes
Anyone know when this expires? Not sure I need it yet but will know soon hoping it lasts a few days (I hate returning to amazon)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3234 posts
3306 upvotes
Vancouver
stephroll wrote: The doorbell feature will work if you answer. But with a Ring, they probably left already since it's so slow
It's variable. I sometimes have up to 4 devices within earshot that are connected to the same Ring doorbell for alerts, and I can hear the alert rolling in over a period of about 30 seconds as Ring's servers work slowly to send out the notifications, starting at about 5 seconds for the first one.

The truth about answering the doorbell remotely is that it's not workable most of the time. By the time you receive the alert, get your phone out and activated, identify the alert, answer the Ring notification, and connect to the live stream of the camera, whoever was there is probably gone. Hence the need to play back the last recording. Which BTW you can't do right way because it takes Ring a couple of minutes to make it available.
Dec 25, 2018
186 posts
261 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: It's variable. I sometimes have up to 4 devices within earshot that are connected to the same Ring doorbell for alerts, and I can hear the alert rolling in over a period of about 30 seconds as Ring's servers work slowly to send out the notifications, starting at about 5 seconds for the first one.
Anyone know of a more responsive doorbell?