Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus with Echo Show 5 - $250

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 8:38 am
May 23, 2008
795 posts
371 upvotes
Gtown ON
My Ring Pro survived two winters, died when the third started. Completely dead, I was getting nothing out of it.
I replaced it with a Hikvision https://ca.hikvision.com/en/products/mo ... era-ds-hd1
The Hik motion sensing is very sensitive, or not sensitive enough, depending on settings. I found the Ring also quite sensitive, a tree moving in the wind was triggering the motion sensor constantly.
Ringing works fine on the Hikvision - the phone rings 2-3 seconds after the button press (Ring worked fine for me here as well). I feel that the iPhone app is more responsive than the Android app - my wife's phone rings a bit faster than my Note 10+, but maybe it's my battery saver settings that are putting the app to sleep.
Also I find that the image quality is better than the Ring.

I also got an NVR and I am recording the doorbell continuously, so I don't really care for motion alerts. No monthly fees, and unlimited storage duration - that's the best for me.

I got it from here https://www.aartech.ca/ds-hd1-hikvision ... rbell.html - seems to be on sale now, I paid $250, now it's $240.
B&H has it as well https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... smart.html
Last edited by RaidZero on Aug 7th, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3434 posts
3549 upvotes
Vancouver
stevepoint wrote: Anyone know of a more responsive doorbell?
No, but maybe they could add a feature where it announces: "Thank you for your ring. Your business is very important to us, and we will be with you as soon as we can. For your entertainment while waiting, please enjoy this music..."
Aug 8, 2003
939 posts
109 upvotes
Ontario
I think I'll get the Pro version, how often do these go on sale? $298 @ BB right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2377 posts
131 upvotes
While not perfect, Ring offers amazing value if you use their platform. $100USD gives unlimited cameras and professional monitored alarm when used with Ring Alarm.

The annual fee for me is offset by my home insurance discount for a monitored alarm.

I still have a 24/7 NVR, but the value prop for Ring was better than other comparable devices. I’m all in, no regrets.
Feb 19, 2009
376 posts
365 upvotes
Brampton
RaidZero wrote: My Ring Pro survived two winters, died when the third started. Completely dead, I was getting nothing out of it.
I replaced it with a Hikvision https://ca.hikvision.com/en/products/mo ... era-ds-hd1
The Hik motion sensing is very sensitive, or not sensitive enough, depending on settings. I found the Ring also quite sensitive, a tree moving in the wind was triggering the motion sensor constantly.
Ringing works fine on the Hikvision - the phone rings 2-3 seconds after the button press (Ring worked fine for me here as well). I feel that the iPhone app is more responsive than the Android app - my wife's phone rings a bit faster than my Note 10+, but maybe it's my battery saver settings that are putting the app to sleep.
Also I find that the image quality is better than the Ring.

I also got an NVR and I am recording the doorbell continuously, so I don't really care for motion alerts. No monthly fees, and unlimited storage duration - that's the best for me.

I got it from here https://www.aartech.ca/ds-hd1-hikvision ... rbell.html - seems to be on sale now, I paid $250, now it's $240.
B&H has it as well https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... smart.html
If you had a Ring Subscription they would have replaced it for free.
I somehow bricked mine when it was ~3 years old while trying to switch it to a different Wi-Fi network and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.
It's a very underrated feature of the subscription IMHO.

Edit: Spelling
Nov 28, 2014
109 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto, ON
enforcerviper wrote: While not perfect, Ring offers amazing value if you use their platform. $100USD gives unlimited cameras and professional monitored alarm when used with Ring Alarm.

The annual fee for me is offset by my home insurance discount for a monitored alarm.

I still have a 24/7 NVR, but the value prop for Ring was better than other comparable devices. I’m all in, no regrets.
Just an FYI, I have ring alarm and self monitor, this also gives a discount on home insurance, not as good a discount as professional monitoring, but at this rate the Ring security system will completely pay for itself in a few years.
Banned
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1004 upvotes
Saskatoon
Is must have or want have?
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3434 posts
3549 upvotes
Vancouver
The main advantage is that it's powered by the doorbell transformer and it notifies you remotely when the doorbell rings. Any number of far cheaper cams can monitor your front door with motion detection and 2-way voice.
Jul 10, 2020
24 posts
16 upvotes
Mine died after one year apparently not uncommon, anyone have one that lasted 2+ years?
Sep 25, 2009
269 posts
96 upvotes
pewpewpew wrote: How are these in Canadian winters? Buddy told me the older version was terrible in the cold
I have the Ring Doorbell Pro - hardwired. Works perfectly in past 3 winters i've had it in the GTA, never an issue.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4932 posts
944 upvotes
Montreal
stevepoint wrote: Anyone know of a more responsive doorbell?
I like my Nest Hello. Google is just way ahead of AMZN when it comes to AI and voice assistant so I stayed in its ecosystem.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1638 posts
489 upvotes
stevepoint wrote: Anyone know when this expires? Not sure I need it yet but will know soon hoping it lasts a few days (I hate returning to amazon)
Identical deal is available at Best Buy
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1508 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like the new version still uses battery, find those ones not as reliable, battery drains fast. I have the Pro version brand new sealed if anyone interested