Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1793 posts
1206 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon Canada] Roku 3810CA Streaming Stick+ | $69.99 | also at other retailers

Lots of retailers have this on sale. Not quite the lowest price (went down to $59.99 on Black Friday), but I've been hoping this would go on sale in June - my smart TV will stop supporting Plex on June 25 so I need something like this to make it smart again.

Visions.ca has the absolute lowest price I can find, at $69.00, and their site shows the sale is on until July 1 (Best Buy's site has it on sale only until June 20, so I guess you could wait until June 21 to price match Best Buy to Visions and get an extra...$2 off I think?).

We have another Roku player already and it works great, so I'm looking forward to having the same interface and controller for the other TV.

EDIT: Amazon has 2% cash back from Ebates on electronics right now, so if you factor that in I think it's slightly the best deal.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 13th, 2019 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added retailer
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
7816 posts
8074 upvotes
The Firestick 4K at $49.99 each if you buy two with a coupon... seems like the better value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1793 posts
1206 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:38 am
The Firestick 4K at $49.99 each if you buy two with a coupon... seems like the better value.
Firestick can't do YouTube, unless you do one of those tricks to get it working. Personally, I don't want to do that because 1) it's an unknown amount of annoying for me, 2) seems like the kind of thing that's liable to stop working periodically - also annoying. That's enough for me to write off Firestick (YouTube is a MUST, it's what my daughter watches the most...).
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Jan 29, 2004
412 posts
236 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
I have both and the fire stick 4k is so much better, easier to use, faster, easy to load side apps.
Jan 28, 2018
476 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
redflagdealsguy wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Once set up, Fire TV Stick 4K is a hell of a device. The only thing I miss is casting, that’s if I’m nitpicking
We The North!
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17014 posts
661 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Can this do Amazon Prime video yet? (In Canada)
Dec 8, 2009
185 posts
81 upvotes
cappaj wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:41 am
Firestick can't do YouTube, unless you do one of those tricks to get it working. Personally, I don't want to do that because 1) it's an unknown amount of annoying for me, 2) seems like the kind of thing that's liable to stop working periodically - also annoying. That's enough for me to write off Firestick (YouTube is a MUST, it's what my daughter watches the most...).
Firestick definitely does YouTube. You can either download the official app from the Amazon store which then uses Silk browser or you can download one of many Youtube players in the Appstore. I don't find any difference using Youtube on my FireTV compared to my Nvidia Shield TV.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12772 posts
3414 upvotes
Toronto
No reason to buy this over the Firestick 4K which is cheaper / better. Firestick does Youtube no problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1001 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with everyone here regarding firesticks.. once you try that device there is no other device that can compare...
Jan 4, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
michelangelo88 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:42 am
My thoughts exactly. Once set up, Fire TV Stick 4K is a hell of a device. The only thing I miss is casting, that’s if I’m nitpicking
And also an easy fix with sideloading or a $3 app from the Amazon store.
Jan 28, 2018
476 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cappaj wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:41 am
YouTube works just fine. Try SmartTube if you want more functionality.
santas_slayer wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 9:47 am
And also an easy fix with sideloading or a $3 app from the Amazon store.
Which one?
We The North!
Jan 4, 2007
151 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
michelangelo88 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 9:52 am
Which one?
Search "AirReceiver". I just had to check for the name on my Fire Stick. Weird that it is rated so low, its a phenomenal app. Does Google Smartcast, Apple Airplay, AirTunes Audio, DLNA DMR, Youtube Dial (cast from within Youtube app on mobile devices), and more.
Nov 30, 2014
57 posts
27 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Firestick for the win! Amazon and Google have settled their "my dad can beat up your dad" squabble and the Official YouTube app will be back shortly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)