[Amazon Canada] ROVE R2-4K Dash Cam $109 w/ $40 coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 5:05 am
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
387 posts
498 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] ROVE R2-4K Dash Cam $109 w/ $40 coupon

ROVE R2-4K Dash Cam with WiFi and GPS 2160p Ultra-HD 2.4" LCD Dashboard Camera Recorder for Cars with G-Sensor, 150° Wide Angle, Star Light Night Vision

I personally have this one and love it! Great picture quality!!

Usually this is $129.99 on Amazon but they jacked up the price to $149 and offer a $40 online coupon to make look like an awesome deal. Kind of a dick move but... So it's basically really only $20 off but it's worth it. I purchased a second one for recording behind me.

Here is my sample

Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1327 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
anyone know how this compares to the ever popular yi dashcam?
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
387 posts
498 upvotes
mizermalice wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 8:46 pm
anyone know how this compares to the ever popular yi dashcam?
Can you be more specific as there are 4-5 different Yi models on Amazon.

On a side note, I haven't seen any of the Yi that has 4K.
Dec 24, 2012
14 posts
24 upvotes
Surrey
Can you see the plate number on the honda odyssey on the original photo when you zoom in?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
2879 posts
1271 upvotes
Mississauga
How's the night footage?
I love RFD! :)
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
387 posts
498 upvotes
finchemo44 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 9:42 pm
Can you see the plate number on the honda odyssey on the original photo when you zoom in?
Not on this picture but when using VLC player to watch video, pause, then use zoom feature, yes.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2018
387 posts
498 upvotes
yo2boy wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 9:47 pm
How's the night footage?
Honestly, I don't know off hand as it's light here until almost 10:30pm and I'm usually not out that late. LOL. And it's already light out at 5am and I'm still in bed sleeping so... that's out too for testing. LOL Sorry yo2boy.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1880 posts
1051 upvotes
Calgary
Even a $20 camera will look great in daylight. Let's see the night-time/low-light performance
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1880 posts
1051 upvotes
Calgary
Review thread from 2017: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/r ... iew.31472/
Reviews are not good
Note that the sensor is not true 4k
Explanation: fake = interpolated

On this forum there is already a 30 pages thread about fake 4K action cameras, seems we need now a topic about fake 4K dashcams if the same thing will happen with dashcams like happened with the action cameras. Chinese poor manufacturers desperate to sell their poor action cameras started to write a big 4K on their cases and on their website descriptions and started selling fake 4K camera. But this was happening in China. Now I am surprised to see the same 4K letters on a non-4K product which is sold in USA where companies have more respect for their customers.

The ugly trick from this manufacturer is to put the 4K word in the name of the camera because in a list of searches people will click because of 4K. Then they will see also the 4K printed on the dashcam. If people will ask why is there the 4K word in the camera title if they will accept it is not a native 4K camera, for sure they will say it is just a coincidence.

Why is so hard to be correct, put just 2K or 2.5K instead of 4K which is reflecting the reality?
Then all the work about reading license plates at XXmph will have a real value. When I see a company which is telling me the image is clear and can read at some super-speed but their specs are false they are losing me as a client or fan. Fortunately for such companies most of the people does not know how to inform about the real specifications of the dashcams so they can sell only based on what companies are saying.
I was always fighting against fakes and my advice is to not buy cameras with false advertising and I post here from 5 years. Sorry for that!
Jul 4, 2018
258 posts
200 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 10:54 pm
Review thread from 2017: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/r ... iew.31472/
Reviews are not good
Note that the sensor is not true 4k
I knew there was something fishy about these chinese brands with their false advertisings. But then there are so many shills and many uninformed people falling for their baits.

I was contemplating on biting this cam during prime day when amazon put it up for "lightning deal" for $60. It was lightning fast alright. It lasted maybe less then 10mins. I almost bought it when amazon rushed and only gave me "deal ending in 3mins" bullcrap.

I was wary with these 4k cams so i had to read more and the price seemed decent @ $60 but ive ran out of time. If it comes back to $60 then i will likely get it but no way im paying it @ $110
Put some resphek on my name!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4297 posts
1105 upvotes
Ottawa
Returned 4 years old GPS TO Costco today, and got a new Garmin Drive Assist 51 LMT-S for $236+tax which has built-in Dash cam
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1859 posts
410 upvotes
Burnaby
OP I'd suggest adjusting the angle of the dashcam down a few degrees, its capturing mostly sky, you'll probably get better focus on plates that way too
Feb 9, 2004
712 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
amplified wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 3:40 am
OP I'd suggest adjusting the angle of the dashcam down a few degrees, its capturing mostly sky, you'll probably get better focus on plates that way too
Perhaps the OP really wanted to catch mostly the sky. You never know when you could capture the next asteroid/meteorite footage that you can sell to the news agencies Winking Face