Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 with heatsink- 183.99$

  • Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 9:53 am
39 replies
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jun 17, 2020
102 posts
236 upvotes
Thanks OP. Did not expect these endurance specs for consumer-grade SSDs. Great for Chia plotting.
Newbie
May 11, 2020
41 posts
36 upvotes
jvrizzle wrote: This or WD SN750 for 160?
Depends, if you have pcie 4.0 motherboard then sabrent might be better since it's more future proof
then again we have no idea when direct storage is coming to windows and when games will support it
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24387 posts
31322 upvotes
jvrizzle wrote: This or WD SN750 for 160?
If you have PCIe 4.0, you might want to consider the Sabrent. Someone can alert me if there's something catastrophically wrong with the NAND or controller on the Sabrent.
.
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2004
188 posts
173 upvotes
Oakville
I've got this drive. No issues, highly recommend it. My boot up is insanely fast, apps open fast, very happy with it's performance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: If you have PCIe 4.0, you might want to consider the Sabrent. Someone can alert me if there's something catastrophically wrong with the NAND or controller on the Sabrent.
The E16 controller has good top speeds but it runs super hot and is super aggressive with it's SLC caching (basically uses the entire drives free space). Performance will absolutely tank if a user ever manages to exhaust the cache (which of course shrinks as the drive fills). It's really not my favorite drive in the world because the use case are pretty niche and it's just not a well balanced performer. Wherein the SN750 is typically very well balanced, even if it lacks any standout stats. Now that better PCIe 4 drives are out, I just don't see the point of this drive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
jvrizzle wrote: This or WD SN750 for 160?
I can't think of a good reason to spend an extra $24 on this over the SN750. It's got better top speeds but most users won't benefit from that and it doesn't do much else better (and quite a few things worse). If you're just doing basic productivity, gaming, etc. Even an SN750 is overkill right now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Katadare wrote: There is also the Rocket 4 Plus for a bit more, but also on sale.

Both are from the same 3rd party.
Considering the Rocket 4 seems to have tax and this one does not, this is a MUCH better deal given how much better the controller is. Though again, overkill for most users.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2003
7726 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver
Using the 500GB version of this adopted when it came out, drive has been fine and is snap fast but pricey
Last edited by Cisco KId on May 12th, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24387 posts
31322 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: The E16 controller has good top speeds but it runs super hot and is super aggressive with it's SLC caching (basically uses the entire drives free space). Performance will absolutely tank if a user ever manages to exhaust the cache (which of course shrinks as the drive fills). It's really not my favorite drive in the world because the use case are pretty niche and it's just not a well balanced performer. Wherein the SN750 is typically very well balanced, even if it lacks any standout stats. Now that better PCIe 4 drives are out, I just don't see the point of this drive.
Good feedback, thank you.

Tried and tested SN750 seems like the better option for most users.
.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16407 posts
21485 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: Considering the Rocket 4 seems to have tax and this one does not, this is a MUCH better deal given how much better the controller is. Though again, overkill for most users.
Amazon is charging me tax on the Rocket 4 Plus and it does not come with a heatsink.

"When installing any NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD directly onto a PCIe Gen4 Motherboard a Heatsink is required to dissipate the heat generated by the drives extreme speed levels to avoid thermal throttling and maximize performance."
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24387 posts
31322 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Amazon is charging me tax on the Rocket 4 Plus and it does not come with a heatsink.

"When installing any NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD directly onto a PCIe Gen4 Motherboard a Heatsink is required to dissipate the heat generated by the drives extreme speed levels to avoid thermal throttling and maximize performance."
It looks like heatsinks went from optional to a good idea when we went from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0. More drives in this newer generation seem to suffer from heat issues.
.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: Amazon is charging me tax on the Rocket 4 Plus and it does not come with a heatsink.

"When installing any NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD directly onto a PCIe Gen4 Motherboard a Heatsink is required to dissipate the heat generated by the drives extreme speed levels to avoid thermal throttling and maximize performance."
You're right, what I get for trying to check both in my just woken up state lol.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: It looks like heatsinks went from optional to a good idea when we went from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0. More drives in this newer generation seem to suffer from heat issues.
A lot of it is just trying to push the drives harder. Not all PCIe 4 drives require heatsinks but the high end ones are mostly running hot right now. Later versions will probably be better when they start shrinking the dies.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4507 posts
977 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cisco KId wrote: Using the 500GB version of this adopted when it came out, drive has been fine and is snap fast but
But what?

Top