Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 with heatsink- 183.99$

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 9:53 am
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4354 posts
904 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jvrizzle wrote: This or WD SN750 for 160?
I just got the WD750 and I was tempted by this... but the reports of it failing within a year wasn't helping the cause.... most daily use case won't take advantage of the extra bandwidth of PCIe 4 anyways. The reported lack of customer service and shipping to US for RMA is also a bit concerning.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2546 posts
1266 upvotes
Gen 4...and heat is a given. That is why all newer motherboards ship with at least one SSD heatsink on the board itself. It is also why we havent seen Gen 4 laptops/ultrabooks capable of reaching Gen 4 speeds as of yet. That would be some hot on the lap and the fan would be unbearable. There is one SSD that doesn't exhibit heat concerns, however, it also doesn't reach the higher Gen 4 speeds of 5GB/s or higher. Sabrent SSDs...have an excellent reputation and much is the same with any Phison controller based product actually.

Wait for it... KIOXIA XG7 will be out soon with claims of being notebook ready and hitting the higher speeds. If they can do it, others will as well...eventually.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Jan 7, 2013
789 posts
442 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Wonder if this would work in a PS5, then they finally enable expanded memory.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7862 posts
8712 upvotes
Toronto
Shaidin wrote: Wonder if this would work in a PS5, then they finally enable expanded memory.
May not be qualified to use in the PS5 since does not meet the read speed requirement.

"The Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD was designed using PCIe 4.0 which allows for speeds of up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write), significantly faster than PCIe 3.0."

"Sony said it would be benchmarking a number of those drives to ensure compatibility with the PS5's stated 5.5GBps data transfer spec."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/ ... by-summer/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: Gen 4...and heat is a given. That is why all newer motherboards ship with at least one SSD heatsink on the board itself. It is also why we havent seen Gen 4 laptops/ultrabooks capable of reaching Gen 4 speeds as of yet. That would be some hot on the lap and the fan would be unbearable. There is one SSD that doesn't exhibit heat concerns, however, it also doesn't reach the higher Gen 4 speeds of 5GB/s or higher. Sabrent SSDs...have an excellent reputation and much is the same with any Phison controller based product actually.

Wait for it... KIOXIA XG7 will be out soon with claims of being notebook ready and hitting the higher speeds. If they can do it, others will as well...eventually.
You talking about SM2267 drives like the S50 Lite, when referring to not running hot? They're basically just gen 3 drives anyways that just happen to barely clear top gen 3 speeds lol.

One thing I gotta give Sabrent credit for is not impulsively switching out components when shortages happen. Ya, they switched the Rocket from an E12 to E12s but they didn't really have much a choice there and it meets the same specs anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2546 posts
1266 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: You talking about SM2267 drives like the S50 Lite, when referring to not running hot? They're basically just gen 3 drives anyways that just happen to barely clear top gen 3 speeds lol.

One thing I gotta give Sabrent credit for is not impulsively switching out components when shortages happen. Ya, they switched the Rocket from an E12 to E12s but they didn't really have much a choice there and it meets the same specs anyways.
Exactly that drive. You could put it into a laptop without any difficulty whatsoever but it is not what many that manipulate media need. They want the speed. For instance... I run intensive programs such as DXO Elite, Topaz and DPP4 for my photography and, well, if you haven't got the power and speed, it just won't cut it...like you are running through peanut butter. Push it one further and those that travel alot (or used to) as I and are heavy into photography or video, want a laptop that will run these programs efficiently. I just got a 11th Gen HP Spectre that helps considerably...but having a 7GB/s SSD in there would be the cats $$$. HG7...waiting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITEMS FOR SALE TODAY (Linked)

1. SSDs/Portable/CPU/Mobo For Sale - CHEAP and As New
  2. CFexpress Type A/B with Readers
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1400 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I have been plotting chia on mine for a few weeks no issues. I bought a 1tb from adata with identical setup and I'm maxing out the cache. I grabbed another sabrent and the adata is on the way back to Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: Exactly that drive. You could put it into a laptop without any difficulty whatsoever but it is not what many that manipulate media need. They want the speed. For instance... I run intensive programs such as DXO Elite, Topaz and DPP4 for my photography and, well, if you haven't got the power and speed, it just won't cut it...like you are running through peanut butter. Push it one further and those that travel alot (or used to) as I and are heavy into photography or video, want a laptop that will run these programs efficiently. I just got a 11th Gen HP Spectre that helps considerably...but having a 7GB/s SSD in there would be the cats $$$. HG7...waiting.
Looks like there are a few more variants of the SM2267 floating around than just the S50 Lite. I looked into it, the SM2267 actually uses the exact same CPU as the SM2262 drives and performance is pretty similar to the EN models, so heat output should be pretty similar as well. It'll actually be a really solid consumer drive once it comes down a bit in price, but ya, it's not really a prosumer drive and many customers will avoid it cause it doesn't have the big numbers on the box.
Nov 6, 2003
940 posts
72 upvotes
Edmonton
The price trending and product page on this drive is confusing. The black drive w/ heatsink has a high price history on both *************** and Honey, but the non-heatsink version doesn't.
Then there's this white drive that shows regular and current price as $189.99, with different read/write specs. But it's all under the same product page.

What do you folks think, are these drives the same or not?
Click on these links to see my Heatware evals and my eBay.ca feedback summary.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7862 posts
8712 upvotes
Toronto
Decius wrote: The price treading and product page on this one is confusing me. The black drive w/ heatsink has a high price history on both *************** and Honey, but the non-heatsink version doesn't.
Then there's this white drive that shows regular and current price as $189.99

From what I can see the white and black drive are the same. Colour is the only difference. Am I right there, same specs just different colour?
Not the same specs. QLC NAND Flash memory writes a lot slower and less durable.

The "white" drive is based on QLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 4700 MB/s (read) and 1800 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard.
Using a PCIe Gen3 Motherboard Speeds will reach up to 3300 MB/s.

This "black" drive is based on TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard.
Using a PCIe Gen3 Motherboard Speeds will reach up to 3500 MB/s.
Nov 6, 2003
940 posts
72 upvotes
Edmonton
Dhanushan wrote: Not the same specs. QLC NAND Flash memory writes a lot slower and less durable.

The "white" drive is based on QLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 4700 MB/s (read) and 1800 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard.
Using a PCIe Gen3 Motherboard Speeds will reach up to 3300 MB/s.

This "black" drive is based on TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard.
Using a PCIe Gen3 Motherboard Speeds will reach up to 3500 MB/s.
Thanks for the reply. I had to scroll a little further and guess I decided not to. QLC might be just fine for my gaming rig application, but I'd not mind getting that kind of price on a TLC drive.
Click on these links to see my Heatware evals and my eBay.ca feedback summary.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
Decius wrote: Thanks for the reply. I had to scroll a little further and guess I decided not to. QLC might be just fine for my gaming rig application, but I'd not mind getting that kind of price on a TLC drive.
Most users would be much better off with gen 3 TLC than gen 4 QLC anyways. The Sabrent Q4 is a bit of an odd duck, can't think of a good use case for it.
Jun 24, 2020
5 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
I installed GPU-Z and it says i have PCI-Express 3.0 for the "Bus Specs" category in the "mainboard" tab. So would a PCIE 4.0 memory be useless?
Élève-officier @ Forces armées canadiennes
Apr 4, 2018
208 posts
136 upvotes
BojackHorseman wrote: Thanks OP. Did not expect these endurance specs for consumer-grade SSDs. Great for Chia plotting.
1800 is still low for the 1tb, the 2tb has 3600. That’s why I bought Firecuda instead.
Aug 18, 2011
264 posts
229 upvotes
North York
TheMau5 wrote: 1800 is still low for the 1tb, the 2tb has 3600. That’s why I bought Firecuda instead.
Which Firecuda did you get that has more TBW? I looked up the 510 and 520, and they both have the same spec as the Sabrent 1TB/2TB 1800TBW/3600TBW.
Apr 4, 2018
208 posts
136 upvotes
HoRRo wrote: Which Firecuda did you get that has more TBW? I looked up the 510 and 520, and they both have the same spec as the Sabrent 1TB/2TB 1800TBW/3600TBW.
I went with the 2TB 520 which is 3600 TBW, expensive but in theory this with the 14TB WD HDD deal comes up to 420+299 = 720 2+TX = close to 2 XCH coins which should be earn in about a month