[Amazon.ca] Sabrent 500GB/1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD - $129.99/$219.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 11:09 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4833 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
fred666 wrote: Sony's marketing pushed on the SSD since they "lost" on the CPU and GPU.

The reality is that almost all games are going to run on both consoles (and many on PCs too), and would run even on a "slow" PCIe 3.0 SSD such as those discussed in this thread. Those that will only be on PS5 are going to be there because they are exclusives, not because the slower SSD in the Xbox prevented the game from being ported to it.
It would be a disincentive for devs to take advantage of the faster hardware if they need to account for different storage speeds, and would potentially increase game sizes as different sized assets would probably be needed. By creating a minimum baseline, they are making the job easier for devs. Whether the extra performance gets utilized in anything but exclusives is a real concern, but that doesn't mean no games will use it.
Sep 27, 2017
66 posts
128 upvotes
Sometimes we know in advance what is not going to be used in a console. Like the PS3 "cell" processor which was powerful in theory, but which ended up too complicated to program for and was not used to its full potential by game developers.
Games are not currently limited in potential by storage speed. The worst that can happen is a loading time of a few more seconds. What matters is mostly GPU, and then the CPU.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4833 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
fred666 wrote: Sometimes we know in advance what is not going to be used in a console. Like the PS3 "cell" processor which was powerful in theory, but which ended up too complicated to program for and was not used to its full potential by game developers.
Games are not currently limited in potential by storage speed. The worst that can happen is a loading time of a few more seconds. What matters is mostly GPU, and then the CPU.
Well most new GPUs coming out and the XBSS/XBSX all support DirectStreaming API so it's gonna become increasingly more common for games to utilize asset streaming. Faster storage means, loading more and/or larger assets to memory in the same time. So the same game on PS5 can utilize more or larger assets than the XBSX can without having to stop and load. This would have the most dramatic effect on open world games where devs currently resort to a lot of tricks to avoid load screens.
Oct 15, 2017
422 posts
295 upvotes
Canada
Jep4444 wrote: Well most new GPUs coming out and the XBSS/XBSX all support DirectStreaming API so it's gonna become increasingly more common for games to utilize asset streaming. Faster storage means, loading more and/or larger assets to memory in the same time. So the same game on PS5 can utilize more or larger assets than the XBSX can without having to stop and load. This would have the most dramatic effect on open world games where devs currently resort to a lot of tricks to avoid load screens.
@Jep4444 and @fred666 which of the two upcoming consoles are you getting?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4833 posts
2751 upvotes
Toronto
dsweetlou wrote: @Jep4444 and @fred666 which of the two upcoming consoles are you getting?
I'll make that call when enough exclusive games for either system comes out that intrigue me and I can't play on my PC/PS4/Switch. Right now, I suspect it'll be a PS5 but maybe MS will surprise me.
Mar 27, 2016
129 posts
85 upvotes
Delta, BC
Yay. Was able to buy ss evo plus 500gb for 124$ prime dayGrinning Face