Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD 1TB $150.99 (went back to $170), 512GB $91.99, 256GB $54.99 NO TAX

Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD 1TB $150.99 (went back to $170), 512GB $91.99, 256GB $54.99 NO TAX

Solid NVMe deal. 1GB version hits 3400/3000, it's more or less the same drive as the Silicon Power that went on sale last week, $2 more in Ontario but still a good price. You need to clip the coupon on the page so not sure how long that will last. Both the 1TB and 256GB seem to be all time lows according to CCC.

EDIT: 1TB coupon seems to be gone.
Last edited by Jep4444 on Sep 11th, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
25 replies
Oct 18, 2012
854 posts
1251 upvotes
Montréal
The specs looks really good, the warranty is fine, seems a good product, very typically Phison E12 SSD.
Wondering which NAND chips do they use.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1343 posts
575 upvotes
MARKHAM
that is a really damn good deal, the performance matches the adata... wonder if it comes with an optional heatsink to attach.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1022 posts
267 upvotes
Red flag deal users never failed to surprise me on the following :
Savvy consumer who really looked at chip level /specs
The responses /contribution from other users seems always know bit more

I recently low formatted a 32 g data traveller from Kingston with Phison chip ... honestly , the quality was 10/10
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2012
1430 posts
1157 upvotes
I mean it looks good on paper...would you really use an off brand drive for your system's main SSD if you do work on it though??
Jun 15, 2019
357 posts
710 upvotes
How many of us do work on it, though?
I am thinking of getting two off brand SSDs to run in raid for redundancy. Or maybe a pro-rated HDD as the raid with 2-3 times the storage for future expansion of more off brand SSDs.
I don't wanna loose my data and the older I get the less trusting I am of any storage media, but honestly, it's just some music form the 90s that would be mostly missed.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2596 posts
2946 upvotes
Calgary
This is third party seller. I am worry of third party seller in Amazon since I got fake SD card previous order.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Feb 6, 2014
159 posts
99 upvotes
These hard drives have serious compatibility issues. I purchased it for my Dell Laptop. It will install Windows 8 fine but Windows 10 installation failed. There is no update on firmware either. Get a name brand if you care about compatibility.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Luyuan20 wrote: I mean it looks good on paper...would you really use an off brand drive for your system's main SSD if you do work on it though??
I wouldn't be too worried. The drive itself is a reference Phison E12 with Toshiba NAND. Sabrent just buys everything pre-assembled and slaps a sticker on it, no different than Silicon Power, Corsair or Patriot who all sell what is basically the exact same drive.
Marphyin wrote: This is third party seller. I am worry of third party seller in Amazon since I got fake SD card previous order.
The seller only sells Sabrent branded products. I'm 99% sure they're just an importer of Sabrent items and with 170k reviews and a 99% rating on the US site, I think it should be fine.
mrmcbandi wrote: These hard drives have serious compatibility issues. I purchased it for my Dell Laptop. It will install Windows 8 fine but Windows 10 installation failed. There is no update on firmware either. Get a name brand if you care about compatibility.
You assume it was the drive and not the Dell laptop that was having the issue. Given the generally positive reviews on these drives overall and the fact that it's basically a reference Phison E12 and Dell's track record of quality control, I'd be inclined to blame Dell. I installed Windows 10 just fine on both a Silicon Power and Patriot version of the same drive. Unless you're just shitting on all non-branded drives. That said, it may look like there is a lot of competition with SSDs but there really isn't, there are like 5 companies that actually design SSDs, two are Samsung and WD, most of the rest are just Phison and Silicon Motion designs (the odd Marvell controller pops up) and you see very little deviations from those reference designs.
Feb 6, 2014
159 posts
99 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote:
You assume it was the drive and not the Dell laptop that was having the issue. Given the generally positive reviews on these drives overall and the fact that it's basically a reference Phison E12 and Dell's track record of quality control, I'd be inclined to blame Dell. I installed Windows 10 just fine on both a Silicon Power and Patriot version of the same drive. Unless you're just shitting on all non-branded drives. That said, it may look like there is a lot of competition with SSDs but there really isn't, there are like 5 companies that actually design SSDs, two are Samsung and WD, most of the rest are just Phison and Silicon Motion designs (the odd Marvell controller pops up) and you see very little deviations from those reference designs.
Did you even purchase this units and tested yourself? It appears that you are "shitting" on all valid review by assuming that because it uses same design, it should have the same compatibility and should work fine.
Other SSD worked perfectly fine with Dell. It is this particular brand.
It appears that you are quite ignorant in that sense that fake reviews are widespread on Amazon.

As you clearly have not bother to read some Amazon dot come review, here are some reviews. My experience with this drive due to compatibility is not isolated.

"nolan campbell
1.0 out of 5 starsWindows would not install on this drive
I tried many times to install windows on this drive but it would always end up with a corrupt file error after installation. I sent it back. Perhaps I just got a dud. And yes my system is NVMe PCIe capable. I was upgrading from a smaller PCIe drive."

"Don't buy for an upgrade....it won't work!
there is no cloning software exists that can clone your existing drive to the Sabrent Rocket. For a clean install, it should be fine, but for an upgrade, they sell it in a very misleading way since they're aware of this issue and don't advertise it to buyers prior to purchase."

"My motherboard didn't recognize this drive I spent 2 hours going through the BIOS, with all other drives disconnected? then Windows 10 would not install because of something to do with the drive? could be a bad drive? I sent it back."
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
mrmcbandi wrote: "nolan campbell
I tried many times to install windows on this drive but it would always end up with a corrupt file error after installation. I sent it back. Perhaps I just got a dud. And yes my system is NVMe PCIe capable. I was upgrading from a smaller PCIe drive."
Perhaps they just got a dud?
mrmcbandi wrote: "Don't buy for an upgrade....it won't work!
there is no cloning software exists that can clone your existing drive to the Sabrent Rocket. For a clean install, it should be fine, but for an upgrade, they sell it in a very misleading way since they're aware of this issue and don't advertise it to buyers prior to purchase."
This is a well known issue since this drive doesn't support 512 bit emulation. You'll have to install from scratch or use cloning software that mitigates this issue.
mrmcbandi wrote: "My motherboard didn't recognize this drive I spent 2 hours going through
the BIOS, with all other drives disconnected? then Windows 10 would not install because of something to do with the drive? could be a bad drive? I sent it back."
Hmm. Could be a bad drive. Out of all the product sales, those who have an issue are most likely to post a review.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
mrmcbandi wrote: Did you even purchase this units and tested yourself? It appears that you are "shitting" on all valid review by assuming that because it uses same design, it should have the same compatibility and should work fine.
Other SSD worked perfectly fine with Dell. It is this particular brand.
It appears that you are quite ignorant in that sense that fake reviews are widespread on Amazon.

As you clearly have not bother to read some Amazon dot come review, here are some reviews. My experience with this drive due to compatibility is not isolated.

"nolan campbell

"Don't buy for an upgrade....it won't work!

"My motherboard didn't recognize this drive I spent 2 hours going through the BIOS, with all other drives disconnected? then Windows 10 would not install because of something to do with the drive? could be a bad drive? I sent it back."
There are a few professional reviews of the drive and they are also positive. Also Sabrent isn't a China brand peddling cheaply made Chinese crap, they are a real company, based out of the US so I'm less worried about the fake review issue.

The Windows 10 thing seems to be a problem with the controller, not the drive and it seems to be affecting very few people (less than 1% of the reviews). I noticed similar complaints on the Silicon Power drive as well.

Frankly just about any product with a normal amount of reviews will have bad reviews. Check the best drives on the market and you can find one consistent complaint or another. Dell is notorious over the years for compatibility and driver shit like this (most OEMs are bad on this front) so I'm holding my ground on that statement.
Nov 7, 2007
869 posts
592 upvotes
Hi Everyone. I need to replace my current Micron M.2 2200S 256GB with a 1TB. Light gaming and mostly office work. Anyone have an opinion what what we could expect to pay on BF and which drive to look for (eg. TLC vs QLC, Brand, etc.).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
rgilld wrote: Hi Everyone. I need to replace my current Micron M.2 2200S 256GB with a 1TB. Light gaming and mostly office work. Anyone have an opinion what what we could expect to pay on BF and which drive to look for (eg. TLC vs QLC, Brand, etc.).
Can't comment on future prices since it's a crapshoot.

In terms of budget to mid-range NVMe drives (I'm classifying by cost, not performance) there are basically 3 common drives.

The cheapest of the 3 are based on the Silicon Motion SM2263 which is what can be found in the Intel 660p and the Crucial P1. These are QLC drives, they perform the most poorly but are also basically SATA priced. They will absolutely clock a SATA drive in anything but sustained writes, which they basically hit HDD speeds at their worst, most people will probably never witness this on a consistent basis unless they keep the drive relatively full.

The next two options are going to be closer in price, the Silicon Motion SM226EN and the Phison E12. The SM226EN is found in the Adata SX8200 Pro and Gammix S11 Pro. In many ways, the SM2262EN performs like a faster version of the SM2263. A lot of that is likely because the of TLC but the controller also allows for twice the bandwidth. These drives have really nice top speeds, can basically compete with anything on the market there. They do suffer from the same phenomenon as the SM2263s where they get slow at the end of sustained writes, this time to around SATA SSD speeds so still decent enough. Same general advise is not to fill it too much and you'll probably never notice it.

The Phison E12 is commonly found in the Corsair MP510, Silicon Power P34A80, Patriot Viper VPN100, this Sabrent drive and a few others. It is also TLC NAND. The E12 doesn't have the same peak speeds (it's close though) but they also never drop below 1GB/s in sustained writes, which is almost double SATA. The controller on the Phison is more powerful than the Adata so it manages to come close in performance without making the aggressive choices the SM226EN makes, which are what lead to the performance drops in certain cases. Performance curves of these won't quite match a Samsung or WD but they are usually close behind, much cheaper though.

Other drives you may see pop up are the older Adata SX8200 and Gammix S11, Intel 760p as well. Those are based on the older SM2262 which is basically the same controller as the SM2262EN but tuned way less aggressively. It won't match the newer model in peak speed but it also basically never dips below 1GB/s. The E12 is faster though so get that unless the older drives are cheaper. Of course the WD Black and Samsung 970 Evo are better drives but unless the prices drop a lot or you need the performance, I don't think they're worth the extra money. You may also see a WD Blue SN500 NVMe in lower capacities. It's not the best performer but at it's best it'll be similar to a 660p and at it's worst it should easily beat one since it is still TLC. If it's cheap, its a solid drive but it's usually priced about against the E12 and SM2262EN so it's not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
chingwu wrote: deal is dead?
Nope, you gotta click the coupon on the page.