Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs $34

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2022 5:44 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Sabrent USB 3.2 Type-C Tool-Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs $34

Sold by Store4PC-Canada and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Shipping is $4 if you don't have Prime.

Aluminum case.

Review

Drop in an nVME inside and you could make a kick-ass portable drive.

Screenshot (2730).png
Screenshot (2731).png
Last edited by Temporel on May 16th, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a list of the best SSDs for your devices!
11 replies
May 26, 2014
216 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
It's been at this price point for a couple weeks now.
Jan 8, 2009
106 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, was looking at this just yesterday, saved me $6
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Amazon is becoming CT, inflating msrp
Jan 8, 2009
106 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: Agreed, seems to be normal price. Pretty sure this is a rebranded generic enclosure that you can find any day of the week on ali/ebay and from other sellers on amazon.
Defending this deal a little bit, I agree that this is a comparable price to other brands, but while there are other brands around this price range like UGREEN, none that I could find have support docs or firmware upgrades easily available on their websites. Sabrent was the only brand I found that did have firmware posted, and hence was worth the extra few dollars ($40 usual price) to me compared to the lesser brands. But at $34, this is a no brainer. Also keep in mind this uses the Realtek RTL9210 chipset vs some of the cheaper enclosures using JMicron chipsets which are known to be flaky.
Sep 18, 2009
273 posts
201 upvotes
FYI this uses a Realtek 9210 controller and the performance will vary depending on what computer/drive/ports/cables you use. There’s a long thread on Anandtech about it:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/st ... 73/page-19

I’m on an M1 Macbook and pretty much gave up because the drivers don’t seem to play nice and it works like 30% of the time. The ones I bought have the Asmedia and Jmicron controllers - if anyone had better luck with this one please let us know!
Nov 22, 2019
961 posts
781 upvotes
TO
I bought this after a lot of research last year. Used to sell on amazon for inflated prices, but despite that I couldn't find a better enclosure on the market at the time.

This is a good purchase. It's a deal according to Canadian standards(however been at this price for a while now, with occasional bumps to 40). Its now equal to it's US price.
Dec 1, 2003
510 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
This is a good NVME USB-C 3.2 enclosure. I've purchased a total of 3 of these over the past year and have used them for fast transfers between computers, even used them for my Xbox series X and S consoles.
It's is a good price and read/write performance is tops over some of the other brands I've purchased. The enclosure itself is solid and properly sandwiches the NVME against the thermal pads to allow great heat dissipation on the aluminum enclosure.

I've used PCIE 4.0 Samsung 980Pros, Rocket 4 Plus and WD SN850s (and yes ultimately these NVMEs are on the motherboard most of the time, just when I need to transfer or clone a drive, or temporary storage across different systems)

Great thing about this is that it comes with Acronis software that allows you to clone from NVME to NVME. Note the software only works if you have a Sabrent device plugged in. So you can plug in this Sabrent enclosure and you can use the software to clone any drive to any drive. It only needs to recognize the system has a Sabrent product and will allow you to use Acronis cloning software
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
I was going to buy this before to update the firmware on my 980 pro I bought for my ps5. I figured it was just easier than removing one of the 2 mounted to my motherboard on my desktop under the heatsinks. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for that since the desktop wouldn't recognize the 980 pro but instead the enclosure. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or confirm?
Dec 1, 2003
510 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
Lush78 wrote: I was going to buy this before to update the firmware on my 980 pro I bought for my ps5. I figured it was just easier than removing one of the 2 mounted to my motherboard on my desktop under the heatsinks. Unfortunately, I don't think this will work for that since the desktop wouldn't recognize the 980 pro but instead the enclosure. Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong or confirm?
Just ran Samsung Magician, it read all my NVME drives on my motherboard (980 Pro and even my Sabrent Rockets) and I plugged in my Sabrent USB-C enclosure and the Samsung software reported unknown drive and was only able to access disk capacity.
I didn't have another 980 Pro to put on my sabrent enclosure to do the test but seeing the results I mentioned above, it looks like it doesn't read into the Sabrent enclosure for you to do a firmware upgrade with it.

However, with the Rocket control panel (equiv to Samsung Magician for Sabrent) it was able to play nicely with the Sabrent enclosure - so perhaps it could be the Magician implementation that it doesn't like the USB-C enclosure for firmware updates/NVME details
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
silly wrote: Just ran Samsung Magician, it read all my NVME drives on my motherboard (980 Pro and even my Sabrent Rockets) and I plugged in my Sabrent USB-C enclosure and the Samsung software reported unknown drive and was only able to access disk capacity.
I didn't have another 980 Pro to put on my sabrent enclosure to do the test but seeing the results I mentioned above, it looks like it doesn't read into the Sabrent enclosure for you to do a firmware upgrade with it.

However, with the Rocket control panel (equiv to Samsung Magician for Sabrent) it was able to play nicely with the Sabrent enclosure - so perhaps it could be the Magician implementation that it doesn't like the USB-C enclosure for firmware updates/NVME details
Thank you for confirming. Much appreciated. I'll probably just go ahead and use my desktop to update the firmware.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)