Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD - $499.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 6:26 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9824 posts
5856 upvotes
zero64 wrote: Yea, I have no idea what a good price is for the Evo, but it's hard to justify the premium over the XPG. Very few will notice any difference between the two.
With regard to the OP's Evo Plus, it is a good price if we're purely focusing on the Evo Plus itself (historic low I think). But for the money, if one were to spend wisely, I think the justification would come in the form of something like "Samsung gives me peace of mind (For whatever reason, some people hate ADATA, they have their sound reasons...I hope)", or "The workload advantage from the Evo Plus really does apply to my use cases". Otherwise, some other brand / models will likely do just as well for a lot of us.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2256 posts
748 upvotes
Samsung has a new generation coming sooner or later, so this is either a price cut due to competitive pressure, or a clearance
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 6, 2003
1679 posts
163 upvotes
I think this is just part of the post covid price cut.

Also, as far as performance, I don't know the technical details but sometimes a bigger drive has a performance advantage over a smaller drive. I don't know if this applies to Samsung due to their proprietary controller or the 2TB in particular. I'm not on the cutting edge like some gamer so I haven't really looked into it.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
864 posts
682 upvotes
Moncton
TravisR93419 wrote: Why are people downvoting this? This is historical low, and is one of the top SSDs. Really the only thing better than it is the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 which is just an insane beast. When it comes to Samsung SSDs this is top shelf stuff. Am I missing something?
Because this is a Canadian site and their Canadian SSD warranty service has been a hot mess for well over 5 years with no improvements in sight?
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4790 posts
2707 upvotes
Toronto
Riffer wrote: I think this is just part of the post covid price cut.

Also, as far as performance, I don't know the technical details but sometimes a bigger drive has a performance advantage over a smaller drive. I don't know if this applies to Samsung due to their proprietary controller or the 2TB in particular. I'm not on the cutting edge like some gamer so I haven't really looked into it.
It's not specifically that higher GB = faster performance but that more NAND = faster performance. Not unlike Raid 0, SSDs stripe data across multiple dies so performance tends to increase as capacity increases but for most modern TLC drives, the point where performance maxes out is 1TB. A quick look at Samsung's performance sheets for the 970 Evo Plus should a notable performance increase from 250GB to 500GB. A small one from 500GB to 1TB and a tiny performance increase from 1TB to 2TB and only in IOPS.

This is typically because modern 1TB and 2TB models have the same amount of NAND, the 2TB uses denser NAND. If you go back a few years, you'll notice that the 500GB drives perform similar to the 1TB models since those drives were using less dense NAND than we use now. If you go back in time a little further, the 256GB will perform like the 512GB of that time, and so on.

PS there is no cutting edge for games and SSDs. Games are not designed to take advantage of the high speeds of NVMe drives. That's why you see videos comparing SATA to NVMe drives for game load times and the difference is minuscule. It's possible we might see some next gen games that take advantage of the faster hardware, especially for streaming high def assets on the fly from storage (instead of storing them in RAM, as most games currently do) but as of now that's not something we've seen in action.
Jr. Member
Nov 20, 2015
108 posts
27 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
chatbox wrote: Review / comparison to the SX8200:


I think in summary. if you're going for the 970 Evo Plus...and paying $185 more...you likely need [more justification(s)] / [to know your exact workload(s)] that really make use of the advantages.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TY2TN64/
Except the 8200 non-Pro hasn't been available for months and the Pro replacement is inferior
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 6, 2003
1679 posts
163 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: It's not specifically that higher GB = faster performance but that more NAND = faster performance. Not unlike Raid 0, SSDs stripe data across multiple dies so performance tends to increase as capacity increases but for most modern TLC drives, the point where performance maxes out is 1TB. A quick look at Samsung's performance sheets for the 970 Evo Plus should a notable performance increase from 250GB to 500GB. A small one from 500GB to 1TB and a tiny performance increase from 1TB to 2TB and only in IOPS.

This is typically because modern 1TB and 2TB models have the same amount of NAND, the 2TB uses denser NAND. If you go back a few years, you'll notice that the 500GB drives perform similar to the 1TB models since those drives were using less dense NAND than we use now. If you go back in time a little further, the 256GB will perform like the 512GB of that time, and so on.

PS there is no cutting edge for games and SSDs. Games are not designed to take advantage of the high speeds of NVMe drives. That's why you see videos comparing SATA to NVMe drives for game load times and the difference is minuscule. It's possible we might see some next gen games that take advantage of the faster hardware, especially for streaming high def assets on the fly from storage (instead of storing them in RAM, as most games currently do) but as of now that's not something we've seen in action.
Thanks.
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2007
866 posts
495 upvotes
You can pay $30 more for sabrent 2tb pcie 4.0 and no taxes...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 15, 2011
41266 posts
6435 upvotes
Thanks OP! Bought even though most have voted "not a good price".
Proud to be an Indian.
__________________________________________________________________________
Incident/Cyber Breach Response|Malware Analyzer|Threat Intellligence
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
41614 posts
7606 upvotes
Markham
I got the 1 TB version of this drive at $236 including tax ($210 before tax) at Walmart last year, so 2 TB for $499 before tax is not as good. Well, it's still a good deal imo, but it can be better.
Newbie
Jan 10, 2016
80 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
angel_wing0 wrote: I got the 1 TB version of this drive at $236 including tax ($210 before tax) at Walmart last year, so 2 TB for $499 before tax is not as good. Well, it's still a good deal imo, but it can be better.
That's a great deal on the 1TB version of this drive for $210 you grabbed last year. Currently it's $330ish for the 1TB
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2017
593 posts
680 upvotes
There really hasn't been any consumer PCIE 4x/8x/16x slot SSD cards in over 2 years now.

So while the choice to just call these simply NVMe by the community in general was maybe confusing 2 years ago, these days.. not really.

Especially in a deals forums, where you simply won't see the latter, because they cost $1000+ and never go on sale anymore because they are deprecated/extremely low stock.

Sure there's some newer enterprise-grade ones, but again, that's not a thing we talk about here in consumer channels. (and they are crazy expensive, and don't have sales)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9824 posts
5856 upvotes
Eleventeen wrote: There really hasn't been any consumer PCIE 4x/8x/16x slot SSD cards in over 2 years now.

So while the choice to just call these simply NVMe by the community in general was maybe confusing 2 years ago, these days.. not really.

Especially in a deals forums, where you simply won't see the latter, because they cost $1000+ and never go on sale anymore because they are deprecated/extremely low stock.

Sure there's some newer enterprise-grade ones, but again, that's not a thing we talk about here in consumer channels. (and they are crazy expensive, and don't have sales)
Assuming one knows / relates the 970 to consumer space hardware, or even market pricing.

(You're right in what you've said)
Penalty Box
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
Help me understand where is the deal here? Large overpriced storage with very outdated interface. I can understand this price for something with PCIE 4.0, but for ancient 3.0 it does not make sense.

Top