Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD $124.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 7:35 pm
15 replies
Member
User avatar
Dec 15, 2015
433 posts
407 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
What's the difference with this one which $119

Bestbuy Version
"With great discounts comes great battle for self restraint"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3629 posts
2237 upvotes
Toronto
Shouldn't everything electronic/computer/cell phone related, have pricing that continually drops? Not only because it's able to be mass produced cheaper and cheaper, but because it's always an aging technology. That is until something better comes along, and then it starts to go to zero. Then back up when it's deemed an antique in 25 years.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12661 posts
15507 upvotes
Toronto
jhinkarlo wrote: What's the difference with this one which $119

Bestbuy Version
Best Buy version is not PLUS and Amazon.ca is selling it for $116.90

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-970-EVO-5 ... B07BN4NJ2J

"With the SSD 970 EVO Plus, Samsung set out to address the disparity between sequential reads and writes. The new drive uses an improved version of Samsung's memory cell technology, called V-NAND. The main difference is increased density, in terms of layers comprising the memory modules. Instead of the 64 layers of V-NAND in the SSD 970 EVO, the SSD 970 EVO Plus makes use of 96 layers. Add in revised firmware and other minor improvements, and Samsung claims that the SSD 970 EVO Plus improves sequential-read performance by increasing it to the current PCIe NVMe limit, and improves the ability to write random bits of data (such as when you're booting up your PC) by 57 percent."
from https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/samsung-ssd-970-evo-plus
Destiny is all
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
10559 posts
2932 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Add $10 can get 1tb sn550, much better for 99% users
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
10559 posts
2932 upvotes
Richmond Hill
reyoasian wrote:
It has 3 tiers: EVO, EVO PLUS, EVO PRO

Realistically, difference between EVO and EVO PLUS are marginal for everyday use, but so is the price difference so get the better one.
The top tier is PRO, EVO PRO doesn't exist yet
Member
Mar 26, 2013
242 posts
178 upvotes
Twin Peaks
beachlover wrote: Shouldn't everything electronic/computer/cell phone related, have pricing that continually drops? Not only because it's able to be mass produced cheaper and cheaper, but because it's always an aging technology. That is until something better comes along, and then it starts to go to zero. Then back up when it's deemed an antique in 25 years.
The value of money drops though as well. When I was a kid my mom bought a house for 25,000 that sold recently for 400K.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
871 upvotes
Central Ontario
beachlover wrote: Shouldn't everything electronic/computer/cell phone related, have pricing that continually drops? Not only because it's able to be mass produced cheaper and cheaper, but because it's always an aging technology. That is until something better comes along, and then it starts to go to zero. Then back up when it's deemed an antique in 25 years.
Not quite. If that were the case, we wouldn't be spending potentially multi-thousands on PCs. They should be essentially free.

Innovation and technological advancement cost time in research, design, and engineering, which is passed along to consumers.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3629 posts
2237 upvotes
Toronto
JustMike wrote: Not quite. If that were the case, we wouldn't be spending potentially multi-thousands on PCs. They should be essentially free.

Innovation and technological advancement cost time in research, design, and engineering, which is passed along to consumers.
Completely misunderstood. I'm not generalizing new models. A PC from 10 years ago is already chopped up, unless grandma has it. Same with flip phones, VCRs, etc. All went to zero, did they not?
Member
User avatar
Apr 13, 2004
385 posts
350 upvotes
York Region, Ontario
Still waiting for those 970 Pro price drops....the best endurance and speed Pcie 3.0 ssd money can buy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3629 posts
2237 upvotes
Toronto
HuoShing wrote: The value of money drops though as well. When I was a kid my mom bought a house for 25,000 that sold recently for 400K.
Exactly, another reason why things like this should always be going down in price. Wait till the day comes when the pandemic ends and budgets need to be balanced. I see huge inflation on the way.
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2020
123 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
wlee wrote: Add $10 can get 1tb sn550, much better for 99% users
For those who don't mind 50% less speed.
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
The 1TB's were $199 last week, not sure if they still are but that's much better value.

980 Pro's (PCI 4.0) are shipping now too if anyone was holding out for those.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12661 posts
15507 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU wrote: The 1TB's were $199 last week, not sure if they still are but that's much better value.
Amazon.ca still has 1TB for $200, but "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4483 posts
958 upvotes
Toronto
beachlover wrote: Shouldn't everything electronic/computer/cell phone related, have pricing that continually drops? Not only because it's able to be mass produced cheaper and cheaper, but because it's always an aging technology. That is until something better comes along, and then it starts to go to zero. Then back up when it's deemed an antique in 25 years.
I Beleive the original 1984 Mac cost $10000 USD (and if not it was $10000 cdn for sure! ).

Prices have gotten pretty low comparatively - we just keep asking for better technology. What's a 17" LCD cost these days - $50? But now people want 27", 32" etc. Same with TV's. Things are definitely getting cheaper - 65" 4k tv for a grand ; the 50" Panasonic Kuro Plasma was $10,000.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)