Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2 $349 ($75 OFF)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2021 3:32 pm
[OP]
Banned
Feb 5, 2021
5 posts
18 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2 $349 ($75 OFF)

It's at a new low and usually cost at around $425
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 16th, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Jr. Member
Nov 7, 2017
115 posts
240 upvotes
Montreal
The 970 EVO 1TB was $180 about two weeks ago. Hardly worth this price premium for the Pro...
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2011
1065 posts
1286 upvotes
ATOMANTMAN wrote: I would NOT pay that much for 2TB
Depends on what you need. This is not a bad price for MLC.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1218 posts
731 upvotes
AB
Even though it’s a great drive, kinda a hard sell when gen4 drives are cheaper for better performance.

And that from my owning a 512gb version of this and also a new 980pro
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2354 posts
989 upvotes
This is a perfect example of what we have seen in flash for awhile now... Check out prices of previous gen 960 as well, or other earlier Gen mlc drives. They only go up in price because of the value and caliber of that previous gen NAND... MLC will be priced out of the consumers reach by next year. This is the start.
Last edited by flamenko on Feb 16th, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SSDs 4 Sale

Portable SSDs 4 Sale
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1010 posts
660 upvotes
JP3ll3ti3r wrote: Great drive for the months it will work #adatacrap
Yes because you had one fail they are all junk, the dozens I have that are still working mean nothing. #notcrapbutyourreplywas
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2013
579 posts
450 upvotes
Quebec
iamsiege wrote: Yes because you had one fail they are all junk, the dozens I have that are still working mean nothing. #notcrapbutyourreplywas
I have used about 750, 10% defect after 1year and when I say defect I mean impossible to read, not detected or make the computer freeze.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9375 posts
4165 upvotes
Toronto
The OP is a spam bot... look at his other posts... upping his post count before the spam
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 18, 2012
9375 posts
4165 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: This is a perfect example of what we have seen in flash for awhile now... Check out prices of previous gen 960 as well, or other earlier Gen mlc drives. They only go up in price because of the value and caliber of that previous gen NAND... MLC will be priced out of the consumers reach by next year. This is the start.
why's that? because MLC is better for reliability/server use?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2354 posts
989 upvotes
Yes. If you follow Flash at all we continue to reduce its footprint to enable larger capacities at the cost of performance and endurance. With every generation, manufacturers have to incorporate hardware and software measures to make up for and increase performance. So with MLC, we will see pure speed not speeds enhanced so much by software or the latest and greatest SLC cache right in the NAND. The plus of MLC is the performance over larger and longer data transfer periods. MLC also has twice the life span at least... Just as SLC had double that of the first Gen MLC.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SSDs 4 Sale

Portable SSDs 4 Sale
Newbie
Aug 30, 2019
4 posts
6 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: why's that? because MLC is better for reliability/server use?
This is grossly simplifying but
SSD is made of memory cells, cells are made of silicon, silicon are expensive. Solution? you pack in more bits per cell
when you want to make a change, you don't flip a bit in the SSD, You zap a cell with the right amount of electricity, the number it represent changes. But A cell can only be zapped so many times before it dies.

SLC = 1 bit per cell
MLC = 2 bits per cell
TLC = 3 bits per cell
QLC = 4 bits per cell

so in the worst case scenario (1 bit at a time, different cells every time) , as you go down the list the likelihood of each cell getting zapped increases when the same amount of data is written to each drive, which means as we layer up the NANDS, theoretically, our drive life is shorter.
Remember that's the WORST case, most consumers typically don't write so much random data for this to become a problem. Why? because most people use their drives to store videos, pictures of their children, and video games. large files that affect thousands to millions of cells at once anyways.
But that's just my take, everyone have their own use cases for hardware.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1010 posts
660 upvotes
BlackXstar wrote: Can you tell me other MLC drive with better price?
Personally I have used SLC, TLC, MLC and QLC SSD's in many systems, I can barely tell the difference and I have yet to have one fail, running a benchmark I can tell the difference yes but real world I can't. So I prefer to get a bigger (2TB+) drive that's a bit slower rather than get a drive that is barely faster than the bigger one I am buying.

Spend another $40 or $50 and get 2 TB SN750 or 2 TB Sabrent Rocket 4 imo, Sabrent is more future proof and faster than the OP's drive when in a PCI-E 4.0 system, but again I doubt you will even be able to tell a difference.

https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-b ... SMeEj78uTA

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TN1MNJ4?tag ... th=1&psc=1
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2011
1065 posts
1286 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: Personally I have used SLC, TLC, MLC and QLC SSD's in many systems, I can barely tell the difference and I have yet to have one fail, running a benchmark I can tell the difference yes but real world I can't. So I prefer to get a bigger (2TB+) drive that's a bit slower rather than get a drive that is barely faster than the bigger one I am buying.

Spend another $40 or $50 and get 2 TB SN750 or 2 TB Sabrent Rocket 4 imo, Sabrent is more future proof and faster than the OP's drive when in a PCI-E 4.0 system, but again I doubt you will even be able to tell a difference.

https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-b ... SMeEj78uTA

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TN1MNJ4?tag ... th=1&psc=1
I have special requirement (high write) which need MLC. I am using 3d xpoint now but it is too expensive.
The 970 Pro is definitely not for everyone, but for people who need MLC, this is a good deal.

Top