Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung BAR Plus 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Titan Gray (MUF-256BE4/AM) - $49.99 (ON SALE AGAIN AS OF MAY 26TH)

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11813 posts
9174 upvotes
Oil Country

[Amazon.ca] Samsung BAR Plus 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Titan Gray (MUF-256BE4/AM) - $49.99 (ON SALE AGAIN AS OF MAY 26TH)

Been monitoring the price on this flash drive for a while, and it finally dropped to the $50 price range, which is an all-time low on Amazon. The previous low was $56 last week.
Last edited by fudge_u on May 27th, 2021 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2645 posts
1974 upvotes
North York
300MB/s is for read. Based on reviews, the write is about 28MB/s... Way too slow for a 256GB drive. Great if you write once, read many though
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19284 posts
22238 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Folks should hit this up. Best deal in a 256GB right now, I could name 4 better USB keys, but they're all a fair bit more expensive (some much more).
Alright gents, if I didn't make myself clear.

This is an all time low, it's super portable, easy on the key chain, fast enough for large transfers, and from Samsung.

Hit it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19284 posts
22238 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: I mentioned that in my post too... lol.
Just a little proof for the doubters.

I've been critical of this drive for not having the fastest writes in the history of writes, but it's much faster than the garbage writes on your work-a-day USB key.

It's reads capture the imagination, and more often than not, I need that.

Two of my employees have this USB, because I need them mobile with certain data.
Jan 12, 2018
129 posts
50 upvotes
Got the 128gb version last time. Top of the class in terms of random read and write speed. Installed windows to go on it. Works flawlessly. Wanted to grab another one but out of stock.. only one cons I can really think of is the grey mesh color coating seems quite weak. Just one cycle of plug and unplug and its already scratched. But hey, it’s not like it’s an piece of art or car or anything. 9.9/10
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9913 posts
2083 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fudge_u wrote: That's USB-C.
It's dual, more versatile, but seems slower
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19284 posts
22238 upvotes
wlee wrote: It's dual, more versatile, but seems slower
Every USB-C system has USB-A, with almost no exceptions.

The compromise is you get half-speed reads compared to the OP drive.

OP drive is still the favorite of the two.

USB Type A is everywhere, Type C is still too niche. Thank goodness they keep upping the Type A port performance, even if it's just below the Type C in the newest USB 4 specs.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2645 posts
1974 upvotes
North York
redflagdealsguy wrote: Every USB-C system has USB-A, with almost no exceptions.

USB Type A is everywhere, Type C is still too niche. Thank goodness they keep upping the Type A port performance, even if it's just below the Type C in the newest USB 4 specs.
New M1 Macs dont have USB ports.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1884 posts
900 upvotes
Home
redflagdealsguy wrote: Every USB-C system has USB-A, with almost no exceptions.

Phones only have USB-C. That the new portable computer.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19284 posts
22238 upvotes
I RFD wrote: Phones only have USB-C. That the new portable computer.
Sure, but these dual port devices have been slower, saving money on higher grade components by running with the port gimmick.

Type A wins for ubiquitousness, Type C wins for phone connectivity. Type C is extremely useful, but for USB keys, I still prefer Type A.

Fortunately, it's getting easier to transfer data wirelessly from phone to computer without C.

Meanwhile, any PC over the last twenty years should be able to connect to a Type A USB key.

That's my clincher.
Jul 1, 2009
311 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
personally i am looking for the samsung USB 3.1 FIT drive - something I can leave on my laptop as additional "permanent" drive w/o having to worry about it protruding too much.
Jan 15, 2013
379 posts
252 upvotes
Anyone using this for a Tesla dashcam?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)