Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Samsung Frame 65 inch $1999

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2022 11:47 am
Sr. Member
Mar 31, 2006
597 posts
30 upvotes
I bought a 55" from amazon and it makes this annoying clicking sound when powered on that continues to happen for about half an hour after the TV is turned off. Samsung replaced the screen but it didn't fix the problem and now they're refusing to do anything else. I would recommend getting this TV from Costco instead for easy returns in case yours has the same problem as mine. More people complaining about this issue here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/ ... d-p/426860
Jr. Member
Nov 23, 2017
113 posts
203 upvotes
Spend the couple hundred more for the C1 OLED...
Member
Jun 18, 2006
252 posts
232 upvotes
Burnaby
dankashun wrote: Spend the couple hundred more for the C1 OLED...
Will C1 looks more realistic as a physical painting than frame?

I am essentially looking for an large digital photoframe that can mimic as close to the real painting as possible in daylight. Occasional TV viewing ability is just the icing on the cake for me. Experts, please enlighten me.
Newbie
Aug 29, 2007
75 posts
21 upvotes
Ottawa
supramessiah wrote: Will C1 looks more realistic as a physical painting than frame?

I am essentially looking for an large digital photoframe that can mimic as close to the real painting as possible in daylight. Occasional TV viewing ability is just the icing on the cake for me. Experts, please enlighten me.
The product which is specifically designed and marketed for your desire is going to give you the superior experience, no matter the specs. Get The Frame.
Sr. Member
Oct 2, 2019
653 posts
502 upvotes
supramessiah wrote: Will C1 looks more realistic as a physical painting than frame?

I am essentially looking for an large digital photoframe that can mimic as close to the real painting as possible in daylight. Occasional TV viewing ability is just the icing on the cake for me. Experts, please enlighten me.
Get both! Best of the best for you.
Jr. Member
Nov 23, 2017
113 posts
203 upvotes
supramessiah wrote: Will C1 looks more realistic as a physical painting than frame?

I am essentially looking for an large digital photoframe that can mimic as close to the real painting as possible in daylight. Occasional TV viewing ability is just the icing on the cake for me. Experts, please enlighten me.
The C1 with its superior viewing angles and contrast will make the image look a lot more realistic but it wont look like a frame wall mounted. Threat of image retention would mean you have to cycle the art work.

The image quality improvement is a lot more than the price difference.

So if you go with the frame you're spending a lot for just the aesthetic of having a digital picture frame.

Personally I don't see the appeal of buying a TV to draw power and burning LED hours showing paintings when not in use.
Member
User avatar
Jun 28, 2019
436 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
dankashun wrote: Spend the couple hundred more for the C1 OLED...
Isn’t there the burn in issue with those?
Member
User avatar
Apr 27, 2010
353 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto
dankashun wrote: Spend the couple hundred more for the C1 OLED...
supramessiah wrote: Will C1 looks more realistic as a physical painting than frame?

I am essentially looking for an large digital photoframe that can mimic as close to the real painting as possible in daylight. Occasional TV viewing ability is just the icing on the cake for me. Experts, please enlighten me.
Bertuzzi44 wrote: Isn’t there the burn in issue with those?
This. OLED is 110% not for static images, do your research!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
2421 posts
619 upvotes
London
I will give an honest review on this TV. I bought this thing last year along with the frame and despite every effort I made to love it, I hated it and had to return it, even though it was on sale and they threw in a free 32" frame to boot. Here is why:

- In bright settings, this TV Glares like a Mo***Fu***r, might pass for artwork if you believe the glass on a real frame would basically act like a mirror.
- In Dark settings, this thing has a massive backlight, it lights up the entire room, so it's obviously a screen. The "turn off when no motion detected feature" is glitchy at best. Many times I would notice its still on hours after everyone left the room (confirmed no motion by home security system which has motion detectors)
- It's a huge pain in the ass to get your own photos on this thing. They should have just let you put a USB or SD card in and load pics but that's not how this works. You can only load pics through their trash app (check app store reviews if you don't believe). The pics have to be a certain aspect ratio or you will get black bars on the sides (forget about using snaps from your phone etc, I had to open pics I wanted on photoshop to crop them to the right size). The app is glitchy and sometimes won't find your TV, sometimes even when it finds it, uploading ur pics through said app on the TV is slow and crashes, big pain in the rear. I do believe this is by design because every step of the way, they try and push a paid monthly subscription down your throat for access to samsungs art gallery for your frame.
- It was mentioned before but the default black frame is FUGLY and the replacement frames are marked up to a point that would even make crack dealers blush. It's the flimsiest plastic in the world and it costs 250$. Return shipping was a pain, bought off amazon and threw box away (like I said I really tried to like this thing) had to macgyver a box out of multiple boxes to return.

Let me say that even with all these flaws, if this were the ONLY thing that was wrong I MIGHT have still kept it however the #1 deal breaker that IMO makes this thing completely useless is this:

- It's not possible to mount this thing to a wall and hide the cables or at least not efficiently. Samsung in all their wisdom, did not make the One Connect proprietary cable for the box rated for in wall use, so you CAN NOT fishhook it behind drywall, I mean you COULD, but if it overheats and causes fire your insurance will not pay (I was told this by a samsung rep at best buy). I even hired the geek squad to come in and maybe figure out a way to mount the thing, but they could not and I had to refund that as well. There IS a fire rated cable but it costs over $100 and it was not in stock anywhere (WHY DID THEY NOT MAKE THIS INCLUDED BY DEFAULT??!?). The only other solution is to cut a massive chunk out of ur drywall, big enough to fit the one connect box, then buy a plastic insert to put it in, then mount ur TV in front of the whole thing to hide it. The plastic insert was also impossible to find and I was not willing to cut a huge chunk of drywall out for this TV, the studs were not in a good place to make this possible anyways, the TV would have to be mounted off centre.

I really don't see ANY point to this TV for anybody. I hope this review can save someone the headaches that I had to go through.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2007
2421 posts
619 upvotes
London
k847848 wrote: Get both! Best of the best for you.
I did a bit of research. IMO it's best to get a used LCD TV (LCD = little to no glare unlike LED, think about most laptop screens) off marketplace/kijiji for cheap, hopefully one with a built in USB port or SD reader so u can just toss ur pics in screen saver mode, if not a used firestick will work too, then get a small gap wall mount and make your own "frames" for the borders. I'm in the process of trying this myself. Beauty is you can mount it in portrait mode to display movie posters etc. I found my TV and mount but haven't had the time to actually put it together (yet)
Jr. Member
Nov 23, 2017
113 posts
203 upvotes
brucedlx wrote: I did a bit of research. IMO it's best to get a used LCD TV (LCD = little to no glare unlike LED, think about most laptop screens) off marketplace/kijiji for cheap, hopefully one with a built in USB port or SD reader so u can just toss ur pics in screen saver mode, if not a used firestick will work too, then get a small gap wall mount and make your own "frames" for the borders. I'm in the process of trying this myself. Beauty is you can mount it in portrait mode to display movie posters etc. I found my TV and mount but haven't had the time to actually put it together (yet)
All TVs are LCD (unless they're OLED). LCD is the display technology, LED is the backlight. All modern LCD TVs are LED backlit.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2011
636 posts
187 upvotes
brucedlx wrote: I will give an honest review on this TV. I bought this thing last year along with the frame and despite every effort I made to love it, I hated it and had to return it, even though it was on sale and they threw in a free 32" frame to boot. Here is why:

- In bright settings, this TV Glares like a Mo***Fu***r, might pass for artwork if you believe the glass on a real frame would basically act like a mirror.
- In Dark settings, this thing has a massive backlight, it lights up the entire room, so it's obviously a screen. The "turn off when no motion detected feature" is glitchy at best. Many times I would notice its still on hours after everyone left the room (confirmed no motion by home security system which has motion detectors)
- It's a huge pain in the ass to get your own photos on this thing. They should have just let you put a USB or SD card in and load pics but that's not how this works. You can only load pics through their trash app (check app store reviews if you don't believe). The pics have to be a certain aspect ratio or you will get black bars on the sides (forget about using snaps from your phone etc, I had to open pics I wanted on photoshop to crop them to the right size). The app is glitchy and sometimes won't find your TV, sometimes even when it finds it, uploading ur pics through said app on the TV is slow and crashes, big pain in the rear. I do believe this is by design because every step of the way, they try and push a paid monthly subscription down your throat for access to samsungs art gallery for your frame.
- It was mentioned before but the default black frame is FUGLY and the replacement frames are marked up to a point that would even make crack dealers blush. It's the flimsiest plastic in the world and it costs 250$. Return shipping was a pain, bought off amazon and threw box away (like I said I really tried to like this thing) had to macgyver a box out of multiple boxes to return.

Let me say that even with all these flaws, if this were the ONLY thing that was wrong I MIGHT have still kept it however the #1 deal breaker that IMO makes this thing completely useless is this:

- It's not possible to mount this thing to a wall and hide the cables or at least not efficiently. Samsung in all their wisdom, did not make the One Connect proprietary cable for the box rated for in wall use, so you CAN NOT fishhook it behind drywall, I mean you COULD, but if it overheats and causes fire your insurance will not pay (I was told this by a samsung rep at best buy). I even hired the geek squad to come in and maybe figure out a way to mount the thing, but they could not and I had to refund that as well. There IS a fire rated cable but it costs over $100 and it was not in stock anywhere (WHY DID THEY NOT MAKE THIS INCLUDED BY DEFAULT??!?). The only other solution is to cut a massive chunk out of ur drywall, big enough to fit the one connect box, then buy a plastic insert to put it in, then mount ur TV in front of the whole thing to hide it. The plastic insert was also impossible to find and I was not willing to cut a huge chunk of drywall out for this TV, the studs were not in a good place to make this possible anyways, the TV would have to be mounted off centre.

I really don't see ANY point to this TV for anybody. I hope this review can save someone the headaches that I had to go through.
Good insight for sure but are you really worried about a fire? Unless you're fishing job has various other wires and is a sketchy job okay but most people aren't getting fire rated cables etc for mount jobs

We had a one connect fished through 3 walls of different materials for 5 years. No issues
Newbie
Mar 29, 2018
55 posts
41 upvotes
mchoochoo wrote: I have a Samsung Frame and an Nvidia Shield. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them work nicely together. My primary problem is that if I don't press the OFF button on the Samsung remote after using the Nvidia Shield, then it will NEVER enter Art Mode (even if I have CEC enabled). So... For my household members, they have to remember to use TWO remotes. Realistically what happens is that they use the Shield, they press OFF on the Shield remote, and then the TV does not return to Art Mode, it just stays on a black screen until I see the TV in this state and then I press OFF on the Samsung remote. Such a confusing and terrible user experience. Any ideas?

I've tried enabling CEC to use a "one remote" solution. The Samsung remote HOME button doesn't act as a home button for the shield, though, it acts as a home button for the Samsung Frame TV (meaning it pulls up the Samsung UI). I've also tried using the Shield remote as the "one remote" solution, but turning off the Shield turns off the Samsung Frame TV, but does NOT kick it into Art Mode. So none of this solves the problem... but this can't be a unique problem I'm running into. Samsung Frame and Nvidia Shields are both very popular products.

Anyone else manage to solve the problem? I've googled it for hours, and no one seems to to be talking about this problem!!
Wow a site to find deals, and for some technical support!
Newbie
Mar 29, 2018
55 posts
41 upvotes
Lmao I've been fishing wires since 1987, fire rates and not , for personal and professional. Not a single issue . Unless you have rats Rat in your walls or other plastic earing creatures. Any wire that works indoors, can work in a wall. Insurance and marketing companies have thier own agenda. Its all bs to deny claims and sell more expensive items .

Someone once said when you drive by a field full of Cow cows you know milk comes from them. Not a single one's fur grows a logo or branding . The rest is sales/ marketing bs and chemicals added.

Same applies for wires. If they work indoors , they'll work inside walls,

Be careful with power A/C extension cords test them first, as long as you buy the correct gauge conductor shouldn't overheat or get hot. Yet many manufacturers cut corners and put a thinner wire , inside thicker plastic . Causes wire to get Fire hot and sometimes melty.
Newbie
Mar 29, 2018
55 posts
41 upvotes
brucedlx wrote: I did a bit of research. IMO it's best to get a used LCD TV (LCD = little to no glare unlike LED, think about most laptop screens) off marketplace/kijiji for cheap, hopefully one with a built in USB port or SD reader so u can just toss ur pics in screen saver mode, if not a used firestick will work too, then get a small gap wall mount and make your own "frames" for the borders. I'm in the process of trying this myself. Beauty is you can mount it in portrait mode to display movie posters etc. I found my TV and mount but haven't had the time to actually put it together (yet)
As others have explained to you that lcd and led are , I won't. However glare has zero to do with display technology .

Glare is simply this a coating applied to the TV screen by the mfg. If you don't like glare , but purchased a TV with a uncoated display .
DiY:

You can get films from a plastics supply store , or spray a clearcoat that dries matt finish.

If you want the best simply buy a clear thin lexan or arcrylic screen , spray a anti glare on there, or scrub with vinegar, baking soda, or use 4000 grit emery cloth affix to the front of your display . Problem solves and screen protected from , guests, kids, pets

BUY .

Or goto Amazon.ca or .com search TV screen protectors , buy the matt finish one for your TV.

Sound familiar? Anti glare ones for phones and tablets have been available for over a decade
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10880 posts
8132 upvotes
Toronto
mchoochoo wrote: I have a Samsung Frame and an Nvidia Shield. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make them work nicely together. My primary problem is that if I don't press the OFF button on the Samsung remote after using the Nvidia Shield, then it will NEVER enter Art Mode (even if I have CEC enabled). So... For my household members, they have to remember to use TWO remotes. Realistically what happens is that they use the Shield, they press OFF on the Shield remote, and then the TV does not return to Art Mode, it just stays on a black screen until I see the TV in this state and then I press OFF on the Samsung remote. Such a confusing and terrible user experience. Any ideas?

I've tried enabling CEC to use a "one remote" solution. The Samsung remote HOME button doesn't act as a home button for the shield, though, it acts as a home button for the Samsung Frame TV (meaning it pulls up the Samsung UI). I've also tried using the Shield remote as the "one remote" solution, but turning off the Shield turns off the Samsung Frame TV, but does NOT kick it into Art Mode. So none of this solves the problem... but this can't be a unique problem I'm running into. Samsung Frame and Nvidia Shields are both very popular products.

Anyone else manage to solve the problem? I've googled it for hours, and no one seems to to be talking about this problem!!
I can set my Shield TV remote (2019 remote with my 2017 Shield) to turn off my TV via IR, no CEC needed. There’s a setting in the Shield to choose your TV and Soundbar brand and it handles the rest. If you don't have the 2019 remote (toblerone shape) it's a good investment, way more ergonomic and functional.
Images
  • IMG20220101051608.jpg
Last edited by Angultra on Jan 1st, 2022 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Newbie
Mar 29, 2018
55 posts
41 upvotes
brucedlx wrote: I will give an honest review on this TV. I bought this thing last year along with the frame and despite every effort I made to love it, I hated it and had to return it, even though it was on sale and they threw in a free 32" frame to boot. Here is why:

- In bright settings, this TV Glares like a Mo***Fu***r, might pass for artwork if you believe the glass on a real frame would basically act like a mirror.
- In Dark settings, this thing has a massive backlight, it lights up the entire room, so it's obviously a screen. The "turn off when no motion detected feature" is glitchy at best. Many times I would notice its still on hours after everyone left the room (confirmed no motion by home security system which has motion detectors)
- It's a huge pain in the ass to get your own photos on this thing. They should have just let you put a USB or SD card in and load pics but that's not how this works. You can only load pics through their trash app (check app store reviews if you don't believe). The pics have to be a certain aspect ratio or you will get black bars on the sides (forget about using snaps from your phone etc, I had to open pics I wanted on photoshop to crop them to the right size). The app is glitchy and sometimes won't find your TV, sometimes even when it finds it, uploading ur pics through said app on the TV is slow and crashes, big pain in the rear. I do believe this is by design because every step of the way, they try and push a paid monthly subscription down your throat for access to samsungs art gallery for your frame.
- It was mentioned before but the default black frame is FUGLY and the replacement frames are marked up to a point that would even make crack dealers blush. It's the flimsiest plastic in the world and it costs 250$. Return shipping was a pain, bought off amazon and threw box away (like I said I really tried to like this thing) had to macgyver a box out of multiple boxes to return.

Let me say that even with all these flaws, if this were the ONLY thing that was wrong I MIGHT have still kept it however the #1 deal breaker that IMO makes this thing completely useless is this:

- It's not possible to mount this thing to a wall and hide the cables or at least not efficiently. Samsung in all their wisdom, did not make the One Connect proprietary cable for the box rated for in wall use, so you CAN NOT fishhook it behind drywall, I mean you COULD, but if it overheats and causes fire your insurance will not pay (I was told this by a samsung rep at best buy). I even hired the geek squad to come in and maybe figure out a way to mount the thing, but they could not and I had to refund that as well. There IS a fire rated cable but it costs over $100 and it was not in stock anywhere (WHY DID THEY NOT MAKE THIS INCLUDED BY DEFAULT??!?). The only other solution is to cut a massive chunk out of ur drywall, big enough to fit the one connect box, then buy a plastic insert to put it in, then mount ur TV in front of the whole thing to hide it. The plastic insert was also impossible to find and I was not willing to cut a huge chunk of drywall out for this TV, the studs were not in a good place to make this possible anyways, the TV would have to be mounted off centre.

I really don't see ANY point to this TV for anybody. I hope this review can save someone the headaches that I had to go through.
Not really sure what you're on about allot to unpack there . I recently saw one in Dec 3 weeks ago at Costco 55 inch I beleive. Looked spectacular, it was bright vivid ultra clear , hdr matt finish, certainly looked similar to any wall hanging I've seen . It's now on my wishlist.

Right after new samsung object recognition robot vac, amd samsung 120 inch 4k smart ultra short throw laser projector. I hear the screen on the laser projector is super shiny too ;) lol
Newbie
Mar 29, 2018
55 posts
41 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
His complaint isn't that. He can turn it on and off too.

Samsung The Frame tvs are artwork displays when off , they appear to be a peice of artwork hanging on the wall in a frame , when they are in ART Mode.

What he wants , for it not to turn off , but to go into ART Mode, when he presses power off . His complain is that he can only do this via samsung remote . He wants to do it all automatic (cec) using shield remote .

If it was me I'd just be happy I have a frame, and use my SS remote to put it into Art Mode . Not ideal , but samsung never was .
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10880 posts
8132 upvotes
Toronto
WilliamGilles wrote: His complaint isn't that. He can turn it on and off too.

Samsung The Frame tvs are artwork displays when off , they appear to be a peice of artwork hanging on the wall in a frame , when they are in ART Mode.

What he wants , for it not to turn off , but to go into ART Mode, when he presses power off . His complain is that he can only do this via samsung remote . He wants to do it all automatic (cec) using shield remote .

If it was me I'd just be happy I have a frame, and use my SS remote to put it into Art Mode . Not ideal , but samsung never was .
I see. A harmony hub + remote could probably do what he wants, but being they discontinued them in 2021 can't really recommend it any more.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 10, 2011
4266 posts
1641 upvotes
I wanted that look, but there's so many complaints, I'm giving up.

I'll go for a super slim neoQLed QN65QN90A, it will still look slick.

Top