[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1116 posts
5383 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition 128gb for $689.99

Features & details
Take game-changing pics and video with the triple lens camera and 3X optical zoom
Capture crisp images and video at night without flash with Night Mode
Capture video and multiple types of images with one tap of the shutter button
An intelligent battery to power through every scroll and swipe during the day and leave you with enough juice to capture every memory at night
Super Fast Charging boosts your battery to over 50% in 30 minutes
Samsung offers a convenient Door-to-Door service in case your Galaxy device requires repair, with free pick up and return shipping included/
45 replies
Dec 8, 2018
39 posts
101 upvotes
Montreal
If you ask the question: S20 Fan Edition vs S20
Where Samsung does make compromises is in its choice of material. The S20 FE, unlike its fancier siblings, has a back made of plastic instead of glass. It has less RAM and storage than its family members, and there are some concessions on its rear camera setup, but you might not even miss them. 8K video recording and 100x Space Zoom are absent, but 30x zoom is available (like what's featured in the S20 and S20 Plus) and so is 3x optical zoom.
Sep 3, 2017
817 posts
1418 upvotes
Vancouver
S21 256 was around $680 with trade in loophole so any fair deals like this are super cold
Nov 28, 2016
231 posts
342 upvotes
soymilkslam wrote: S21 256 was around $680 with trade in loophole so any fair deals like this are super cold
Can you explain how or show me the relevant post? Thanks.
Dec 23, 2016
252 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa
Money4Red wrote: Can you explain how or show me the relevant post? Thanks.
Even with that relevant post, his comment is irrelevant. Like others have said before, I don't care about the deal from 20 months ago, i care of a deal available now. And for now, i think that's a good price.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1318 posts
1406 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
This phone regularly goes on sale for a net cost of almost nothing at places like Costco wireless due to cash card incentives. Typically this comes from changing a carrier or same carrier but different plans. Look out for such deals unless you have an amazing plan. Then again you have to calculate "amazing plan" vs 2 year lockup with average plan but cost of the phone goes down to 100$ or less.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1723 posts
931 upvotes
i was looking at this phone for a while, the price is not new on amazon, was $699 about a month ago before, then it jumped back up around $9xx, now it's back down under $700 since earlier this week. agree its a decent price now . thanked = )

with the ip13 out, does samsung come out too with the s22? the lack of 5G is my only concern on the s20, but again having the extra SD storage is a strong positive.

old thread..
amazon-ca-samsung-s20-fe-navy-634-99-2481217/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6061 posts
1830 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
got my S21 on almost the same price including free tag and buds. Sorry OP but i need to DV this one.
d1ulove3
Jun 15, 2004
138 posts
295 upvotes
For what it's worth, when I was researching new phones back in July, I opted for this one rather than the s21 since they got rid of the mini SD slot. The s21 maxes out at 500GB storage capacity.
Dec 13, 2019
678 posts
530 upvotes
Got this phone for about $900 with taxes and a bonus gift and with trade-in when it launched. I'd say this phone is a decent compromise. Regrettably, Samsung only included Android 10 when it launched and hopefully this now comes with Android 11 preinstalled.

A very respectable phone with good battery life and performance. I'm not a hardcore mobile gamer, so I haven't noticed any lags or slowdowns with less RAM. However, i do notice some things like notifications get pushed out of memory a bit sooner depending on how many apps you're concurrently running and notifications coming in. Apps will eventually need to refresh themselves as you switch to them. If you're a hardcore gamer or multi-tasker then the 6 GB of RAM may not be suitable for you. Another quality-of-life design is the flat display so you don't get phantom touches trying to hold your phone. The plastic back is good, so you can "plunk" down your phone without worrying about cracking the back glass.

Prior to my S20 FE, I was on the Pixel 2XL which only had 2 GB of RAM.

All-in-all, I'd say this is a fair price for a very competent phone with expandable storage. I'm quite irked that Samsung got rid of expandable storage going forward. So this may be the very last midrange/smartphone with expandable storage from Samsung. Not a fan of Samsung phones to begin with and now they're trying to out-Apple Apple by: removing expandable storage; headphone jack; charging brick. If I was looking for the same thing, as Apple, I'd get an iPhone instead of a Samsung phone! Smiling Face With Horns :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is a hot deal for this phone. Thanks OP!
Why settle for MSRP when you can wait and get it at a lower price? 😉
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1233 posts
521 upvotes
Toronto
LesDeals wrote: Got this phone for about $900 with taxes and a bonus gift and with trade-in when it launched. I'd say this phone is a decent compromise. Regrettably, Samsung only included Android 10 when it launched and hopefully this now comes with Android 11 preinstalled.

A very respectable phone with good battery life and performance. I'm not a hardcore mobile gamer, so I haven't noticed any lags or slowdowns with less RAM. However, i do notice some things like notifications get pushed out of memory a bit sooner depending on how many apps you're concurrently running and notifications coming in. Apps will eventually need to refresh themselves as you switch to them. If you're a hardcore gamer or multi-tasker then the 6 GB of RAM may not be suitable for you. Another quality-of-life design is the flat display so you don't get phantom touches trying to hold your phone. The plastic back is good, so you can "plunk" down your phone without worrying about cracking the back glass.

Prior to my S20 FE, I was on the Pixel 2XL which only had 2 GB of RAM.

All-in-all, I'd say this is a fair price for a very competent phone with expandable storage. I'm quite irked that Samsung got rid of expandable storage going forward. So this may be the very last midrange/smartphone with expandable storage from Samsung. Not a fan of Samsung phones to begin with and now they're trying to out-Apple Apple by: removing expandable storage; headphone jack; charging brick. If I was looking for the same thing, as Apple, I'd get an iPhone instead of a Samsung phone! Smiling Face With Horns :rolleyes:

Anyways, this is a hot deal for this phone. Thanks OP!
$900 for a S20 Fe? Sorry. You got scamed!
Aug 30, 2007
178 posts
30 upvotes
I got this phone 3 weeks ago from costco on 2 year 'edge plan'. aka lease.

$10.84 month for 2years and $400 costco gift cards. wireless earbuds and car charger.

Was a no-brainer.

Also, some credit cards come with max 1k coverage incase damage phone.
Jul 9, 2016
34 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
IAMTHEKING wrote: I got this phone 3 weeks ago from costco on 2 year 'edge plan'. aka lease.

$10.84 month for 2years and $400 costco gift cards. wireless earbuds and car charger.

Was a no-brainer.

Also, some credit cards come with max 1k coverage incase damage phone.
Was it on a carrier contact, or unlocked? If contract, how much do you pay for the line per month?
Overconsumption = Extinction
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6689 posts
2388 upvotes
Vancouver
rastansaga wrote: Was it on a carrier contact, or unlocked? If contract, how much do you pay for the line per month?
Nothing is free, his plan is probably around $100. No wireless will give this phone to you for $240 - $400 = NET loss $160-250 when you include the extras he mentioned. He can claim otherwise, but the reality of it, if it costs about $500 for the wireless carrier to buy this phone from Samsung, they won't give it to you at a loss unless they stick it up your hole in other way to recoup it.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6689 posts
2388 upvotes
Vancouver
PS. Best Buy has some sellers selling refurbs 10/10s under $560-600 too.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Nov 16, 2015
25 posts
22 upvotes
Do NOT get this phone!

The phone has an awful touchscreen issue that stems from the touch digitizer not being grounded properly. Reminiscent of the Motorola Milestones / Droid back in the day of early Android phones.
Hence you'll get phantom touches and horrible jittering, especially when using multiple fingers. This cannot be fixed with software updates. I've handled and went through multiple units of the S20 FE and unfortunately all of them were affected. Simply put, it's a design flaw. No amount of updates from Samsung has fixed the problem and no amount of updates will.

A touch tester app will easily show the issues and to this day, I haven't seen anyone show a problem-free unit.

[Edit]
I'd like to add that I loved the idea of this phone: a slightly cut-down S20+ with 99% of the features intact at $650 (back then)? HELL YEAH!
I honestly wanted it to work out so so bad but unfortunately something as basic as the touchscreen input must be done right. I hope the S21 FE would have this fixed.
Nov 19, 2020
74 posts
176 upvotes
I've been leasing this phone since last December for $0.84 a month. Total cost after tax to own it after 24 months would be $524.
Dec 13, 2019
678 posts
530 upvotes
tunglete wrote: $900 for a S20 Fe? Sorry. You got scamed!
I bought it at launch and that was the launch price with taxes and included a bonus gift. This phone has been out for many months now and nobody in their right mind would pay $900 for this phone if they bought this today.
Why settle for MSRP when you can wait and get it at a lower price? 😉