Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Monitor DQHD, 240Hz, 1000R, HDR1000, G-SYNC - $1,298 ($702 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2022 2:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4372 posts
9869 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Monitor DQHD, 240Hz, 1000R, HDR1000, G-SYNC - $1,298 ($702 off)

Amazon.ca currently has a hot sale on the high end Samsung Odyssey G9, a 49 inch (32:9 aspect ratio) Dual QHD (5120x1440) 1000R ultra-widescreen curved and high refresh / high HDR1000 gaming monitor with 1ms response time for $1,298.00, 35% or $701.99 off it's regular price of $1,999.99. This is, by far, the all time low on Amazon according to Keepa as well as anywhere else I've seen this monitor priced over the years.

This great sale is also on at many other retailers, including:

Costco.ca:
https://www.costco.ca/samsung-odyssey-4 ... 06514.html

Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... e/14716525

Staples:
https://www.staples.ca/products/2984180 ... g95tssnxza

Canada Computers:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=175090

Amazon.ca:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088HH6LW5

From Amazon:

• Samsung Ultra-wide 49" 1000R, 32:9 aspect ratio G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro Compatible Monitor
  • 240Hz Refresh rate (when paired with the appropriate system)
  • Fast 1ms (GtG) Response Time
  • Low 2ms Input Lag
  • Samsung QLED delivers purer, brighter, and more lifelike colors up to 1000 nits
  • HDR1000 high dynamic range technology
  • Designed for gamers with multiple game modes, DQHD / WQHD gaming
  • SAMSUNG'S LARGEST 1000R GAMING MONITOR: Get your head in the game with the 49 inch Odyssey G9, which matches the curve of the human eye, for maximum immersion and minimal eye strain. With the screen space of two 27 Inch panels, you can truly take command on the battlefield.
  • CUTTING EDGE QLED TECHNOLOGY: From deepest blacks to vivid colors, Samsung QLED ensures pixel perfect picture quality with every frame. Utilizing Quantum Dot technology, Samsung QLED creates more vivid colors with 125% more color space compared to sRGB, ensuring the highest class of color reproduction.
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC & FREESYNC: Dropping frames means dropping chances to put your enemy in the dirt. With NVIDIA G-SYNC and FreeSync Premium Pro support, Odyssey matches every frame from your graphics card, so you're never caught short from moment to moment.
  • DUAL QHD DISPLAY: The gaming world of your imagination made real. The 49-inch DQHD resolution brings you a display as wide as two QHD monitors sitting side by side, with incredibly detailed, pin-sharp images. Experience a more encompassing view with maximum space to take in all the action.08
  • INFINITY CORE LIGHTING: Customize your Odyssey with distinct core color customization, allowing you to match your monitor with the rest of your gaming setup
  • Ports: 2 x DisplayPort 1.4, 1 x HDMI 2.0, Headphones, USB Hub v3 with 2 x USB 3
  • Color Gamut (sRGB Coverage): 125% (Typ.)
  • Color Gamut (Adobe RGB Coverage): 92% (Typ.)
  • Brightness (Typical): 420 nits
  • Peak Brightness (Typical): 1000 nits
  • Brightness (Min): 300 nits
  • Hight Adjustable Range: 120.0 ± 5.0 mm
  • Tilt Range: -3.0° (±2.0°) ~ +13.0° (±2.0°)
  • Swivel Range: -15.0° (±2.0°) ~ +15.0° (±2.0°)
  • Dimensions without Stand (inches): 45.18 x 14.31 x 11.46
  • Dimensions with Stand (inches): 45.18 x 21.15 x 16.39
  • Weight with Stand: 36.8 lbs
  • Weight without Stand: 31.1 lbs
  • VESA wall mount size: 100 x 100 mm
  • Power Supply Type: AC 100~240V
  • Power consumption on stand-by mode is less than 0.3 Watts

61SQz8S+fEL._AC_SL1000_[1].jpg
51dIwzl7buL._AC_SL1000_[1].jpg
516zgyp-HkL._AC_SY355_[1].jpg

Last edited by Elrondolio on Sep 5th, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Thread Summary
Looking to upgrade your display? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming monitors!
77 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4372 posts
9869 upvotes
Do note:

Despite Amazon listing this as having a warranty for 1 year, when you actually register it with Samsung directly, the warranty is 3 years. I've owned the NEO version of this monitor and they both register for 3 years of warranty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4372 posts
9869 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: 49" gaming monitor lol what
Equivalent to two, 27" monitors side by side. A pretty typical gaming / development / media editing setup. Can divide the screen in 3 separate zones, which is how I use my Neo most of the time. Extremely convenient setup for development and media work and amazing for gaming of all kinds, but specially driving, flight and space sims in my experience. Immersive as hell.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Sep 2nd, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1695 posts
1609 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote: Equivalent to two, 27" monitors side by side. A pretty typical gaming / development / media editing setup. Can divide the screen up in two 3 separate zones, which is how I use my Neo most of the time. Extremely convenient setup and amazing for gaming, specially flight and space sims, etc.
Any experience with first person shooters, how would a game like Valorant work for example?
Jul 2, 2015
256 posts
261 upvotes
Dartmouth
Elrondolio wrote: Equivalent to two, 27" monitors side by side. A pretty typical gaming / development / media editing setup. Can divide the screen up in two 3 separate zones, which is how I use my Neo most of the time. Extremely convenient setup for development and media work and amazing for gaming of all kinds, but specially flight and space sims in my experience. Immersive as hell.
Can you use multiple inputs at the same time and divide up the screen like that?
Jan 20, 2010
480 posts
210 upvotes
toronto
If it is 21:9, I probably will pull the trigger. But 32:9 is probably just too wide for regular game play.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1615 posts
2127 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
Elrondolio wrote: Equivalent to two, 27" monitors side by side. A pretty typical gaming / development / media editing setup. Can divide the screen up in two 3 separate zones, which is how I use my Neo most of the time. Extremely convenient setup for development and media work and amazing for gaming of all kinds, but specially flight and space sims in my experience. Immersive as hell.
It is better than 2x 27" because the monitor curves and obviously has no bezels. It is actually a replacement for a 3 monitor setup where you have 2 smaller monitors on each side of a larger monitor in the middle.

Once you go 49" you don't go back to multiple different monitors. This is a great price.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1695 posts
1609 upvotes
Toronto
SAMSUNG 49" Odyssey Neo G9 G95NA Gaming Monitor, 4K UHD Mini LED Display, Curved Screen, 240Hz, 1ms, G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro, LS49AG952NNXZA, White & Black https://a.co/d/6iUrtUg

CN anyone explain the diff from op to g9 neo?

I see one is g95t (op) and one is g952 (neo?)

Is this an older model in op?
Last edited by krn905 on Sep 2nd, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1775 posts
1040 upvotes
Sask
krn905 wrote: SAMSUNG 49" Odyssey Neo G9 G95NA Gaming Monitor, 4K UHD Mini LED Display, Curved Screen, 240Hz, 1ms, G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro, LS49AG952NNXZA, White & Black https://a.co/d/6iUrtUg

I see one is g90 and one is g952 (neo?)

I can't explain differences but its definitely the older g9 model. It's not the neo version.
Jun 16, 2008
957 posts
994 upvotes
G9 Neo is MicroLED technology vs. regular LCD + backlight in the G9. That's the biggest diff between them.

I have considered this monitor on and off for months, but I think the curvature is too aggressive for my desk and I'm not thrilled with the QC issues I've read about it. I'll stick to 2 x 27" for now and wait for OLED monitors in a few years.
May 23, 2007
95 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver
Great monitor. I have the neo version.
My only gripe is the stand takes up quite a bit of real estate on the desk. does anyone know any other monitor arm options besides ergotron hx?
Aug 14, 2019
431 posts
486 upvotes
G9 neo seems to have way better local dimming due to the full array backlight rather than edge lit... and consequently better black uniformity. better HDR on the G9 Neo and a lot better response time.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1695 posts
1609 upvotes
Toronto
UnexpectedToken wrote: G9 neo seems to have way better local dimming due to the full array backlight rather than edge lit... and consequently better black uniformity. better HDR on the G9 Neo and a lot better response time.
thanks - at this price i will pass then.

do need a monitor upgrade but i want the neo to drop then or new oled stuff.

the 4k aorus is also tempting at 799 vs 500 more for this, although UW is has its pros.

next one i buy at this price range will be a 5-10 year investment hopefully
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4372 posts
9869 upvotes
krn905 wrote: SAMSUNG 49" Odyssey Neo G9 G95NA Gaming Monitor, 4K UHD Mini LED Display, Curved Screen, 240Hz, 1ms, G-Sync and FreeSync Premium Pro, LS49AG952NNXZA, White & Black https://a.co/d/6iUrtUg

I see one is g95t (op) and one is g952 (neo?)

I own the Neo version and that is the higher end version of this thread's G9. The main differences with the Neo is it's upgraded "Quantum Matrix" LEDs, which are much brighter full array, mini LEDs that provide far more back-lit dimming zones. While this thread's G9 can achieve HDR1000 (and looks pretty good doing so), the Neo G9 can achieve HDR2000 thanks to the back-lit LEDs and looks amazing in HDR. Since it gets much brighter and also deeper blacks (thanks to its increased, full array dimming zones), the apparent contrast ratio is and looks much higher on the Neo G9. That's not to say the standard G9 doesn't look great, however... the Neo G9 just looks better, depending on content. Outside of that the Neo has 2 x HDMI 2.1 ports (max 120Hz) and 1 x DisplayPort 1.4 (max 240Hz). Otherwise they are basically the same in most other aspects.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Sep 4th, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
4372 posts
9869 upvotes
UnexpectedToken wrote: G9 neo seems to have way better local dimming due to the full array backlight rather than edge lit... and consequently better black uniformity. better HDR on the G9 Neo and a lot better response time.
Edit: I stand corrected. The regular G9 is indeed edge lit, according to rtings.

The non-Neo isn't edge lit, it too has backlit QLED dimming zones. The Neo G9 just has micro-LEDs instead, and more of them to reach HDR2000 instead of HDR1000 on the G9. Both look very good in HDR, there is no doubt, and blow away most other monitors on the market. At a very inexpensive $1,298 (relatively speaking), this G9 is a no-brainer, really.

https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-neo-q ... -and-oled/
Last edited by Elrondolio on Sep 4th, 2022 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 16, 2010
111 posts
94 upvotes
I've had this G9 (original version) for almost two years now. Got it during Black Friday 2020.

Amazing monitor - colours and brightness are great, excellent for multitasking and gaming

It does take a lot of desk space though, so make sure you have a desk that can accommodate this.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1740 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone seen any good deals for smaller ultra wide monitors (32-34in)
Sep 23, 2010
391 posts
155 upvotes
TORONTO
When you say 2/3 zones, is it as functional as 2/3 monitors? Can you easily drag and maximize windows to fill just one zone? As someone with 5+ apps constantly open and switching between them, I found a 34" ultrawide terrible for productivity vs. 2 monitors and only good as a dedicated gaming monitor. I know they are selling this as a gaming monitor but it if was also good for productivity, I might be interested.
Aug 6, 2013
43 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
Asheron wrote: When you say 2/3 zones, is it as functional as 2/3 monitors? Can you easily drag and maximize windows to fill just one zone? As someone with 5+ apps constantly open and switching between them, I found a 34" ultrawide terrible for productivity vs. 2 monitors and only good as a dedicated gaming monitor. I know they are selling this as a gaming monitor but it if was also good for productivity, I might be interested.
On PC I use a Microsoft tool called PowerToys FancyZones to create custom layouts for the monitor. This will let you snap windows onto pre-defined grids. On Mac I use Magnet to achieve a similar effect.

I picked up this monitor during 2020 BF and it's been holding up well. Super happy with the purchase and works well for both gaming and productivity with multiple windows open. It's now hard going back to a narrower setup now for work.
Last edited by rwhtang on Sep 2nd, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)