Samsung Odyssey G9 Curved 49" Gaming Monitor 240hz $1,649.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 7:27 am
[OP]
Aug 6, 2021
29 posts
21 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Odyssey G9 Curved 49" Gaming Monitor 240hz $1,649.99

Been eyeing this monitor for a while. With the release of Neo G9 last month, it appears that this monitor's price dropped $350 all over until September 2. Same offer available at Canada Computers, Amazon, BestBuy, Samsung.
The only significant difference between this one and Neo G9 is that Neo has the new mini-LED version, and includes 2048 local dimming zones. Apart from that, the 2020 G9 has about the same features, and should work for most for gaming & productivity.

Product Specs:
Ultra-wide 49" G-Sync Compatible Monitor with 1000R curvature
Max Resolution: 5120x1440
Aspect Ratio: 32:9
Refresh rate: 240Hz
Response Time: 1(GTG)
Power Supply Type: AC 100~240V
Tilt Range: -3.0° (±2.0°) ~ +13.0° (±2.0°)
Connectivity: HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4, USB 3.0
HDR technology: HDR1000
Wall mount size: 100 x 100 mm

Edit: This monitor is recommended by LTT and other reviewers, and is considered to have a very immersive experience for racing games and such due to it's curvature. It's the next best thing to having a VR headset, but does require a very beefy rig to run it at it's potential.
Images
  • OD1.jpg
  • OD3.jpg
Last edited by EnigmaEntity on Aug 29th, 2021 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1897 posts
2330 upvotes
Wow. The reviews on that page make this monitor looks incredibly glitchy and of poor quality. Not what I expected from a $2k monitor.
Jul 16, 2021
425 posts
689 upvotes
look at the latest oled monitor from linus, with the bar on bottom and top it looks a lot better.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
Cucumference wrote: Wow. The reviews on that page make this monitor looks incredibly glitchy and of poor quality. Not what I expected from a $2k monitor.
We have 2 at work because they look so impressive (someone comes into the office, it looks "nice". Usability of a 49" screen is pretty bad for non-gaming. Both of the monitors we ordered were broken when we received them (different orders, ordered like 4 months apart).

If you don't hate the screen size, they're pretty good IMO. Unfortunate for me, I am the face of our office, so I "have" to use it. Windows PowerToys helps.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Oct 7, 2015
709 posts
662 upvotes
Vanier, ON
I am holding my money till LG releases 43'' OLED.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4234 posts
280 upvotes
Tahsis
1000r is too much especially for super-ultra wide. This is a novelty monitor imo.
Jul 21, 2015
530 posts
347 upvotes
North York, ON
Personally owns one of this Since last year.

I think it is perfect in certain level.(as long as the cons Which i will listed at the bottom doesn't Matter to you.)

49 inch is like Dual 27 inch without the besel in the middle make it so good for work/gaming.

HDR doesn't work ( i turned it off day 1 Since i got it)

Auto source is buggy.(sometime you have you unplug dP Or hdmi cable and plug it back)
[OP]
Aug 6, 2021
29 posts
21 upvotes
sghgigi wrote: Personally owns one of this Since last year.

I think it is perfect in certain level.(as long as the cons Which i will listed at the bottom doesn't Matter to you.)

49 inch is like Dual 27 inch without the besel in the middle make it so good for work/gaming.

HDR doesn't work ( i turned it off day 1 Since i got it)

Auto source is buggy.(sometime you have you unplug dP Or hdmi cable and plug it back)
Thanks for sharing. Heard the same about HDR, and on their new G9 Neo release. I did hear that there were several other glitches and bugs from day 1, and most of them were addressed through driver updates. Has your experience been somewhat similar?
Jul 21, 2015
530 posts
347 upvotes
North York, ON
EnigmaEntity wrote: Thanks for sharing. Heard the same about HDR, and on their new G9 Neo release. I did hear that there were several other glitches and bugs from day 1, and most of them were addressed through driver updates. Has your experience been somewhat similar?

Ya try to upgrade to latest firmware 1010.2 If it didn't come with it.

Should have fixed most of the issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6692 posts
6350 upvotes
Ottawa
ChubChub wrote: We have 2 at work because they look so impressive (someone comes into the office, it looks "nice". Usability of a 49" screen is pretty bad for non-gaming. Both of the monitors we ordered were broken when we received them (different orders, ordered like 4 months apart).
Where do you struggle? I've got a 49 with a 27 on the side and love it, would never go back.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
2030 posts
296 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Where do you struggle? I've got a 49 with a 27 on the side and love it, would never go back.
Desk is probably too shallow. I love mine. I also have the LG CX10 as a monitor too but prefer using the G9 for side by side work like how you would have 2 x 27" monitors together.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6692 posts
6350 upvotes
Ottawa
nitro wrote: Desk is probably too shallow. I love mine. I also have the LG CX10 as a monitor too but prefer using the G9 for side by side work like how you would have 2 x 27" monitors together.
Yeah same. Have mine on an arm on a sit stand and I can't imagine going back to 2 27s
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1606 posts
2122 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
ChubChub wrote: We have 2 at work because they look so impressive (someone comes into the office, it looks "nice". Usability of a 49" screen is pretty bad for non-gaming. Both of the monitors we ordered were broken when we received them (different orders, ordered like 4 months apart).

If you don't hate the screen size, they're pretty good IMO. Unfortunate for me, I am the face of our office, so I "have" to use it. Windows PowerToys helps.
I have the CRG9 and I use it for work with PowerToys and some gaming and I absolutely love it for both. It replaces a 3 screen setup (17, 23, 17) and it's fantastic for anyone that needs multiple screens for work.
Nov 26, 2018
234 posts
225 upvotes
Rural AB
I've been running a G9 since last December, updated firmware and have had zero issues. Love the monitor in multiple regards. Would go for the Neo though.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
Konowl wrote: Where do you struggle? I've got a 49 with a 27 on the side and love it, would never go back.
Point cloud alignment; everything always looks misaligned. Having two CAD windows open + Excel/PDF/whatever ... I need to be too close to be able to see what I need to see, and when I'm that close, it's too far side-to-side. The resolution just doesn't make sense for how far you have to be from the screen to make the size make sense, and lowering resolution to non-native looks like garbage, obviously. So, I only use 2/3 of the screen most of the time. CAD software (FARO/Leica/Autodesk/NX) doesn't play well with screen scaling either (yet), so that's not an option.

Everyone at the office hated this monitor, so I got stuck with it. I use 6x 24" monitors in "my" office (where I actually get work done, unfortunately I am never in there anymore), but 75% of the time I'm on this thing.

Maybe my issue is I do too much "fine detail" work, making being close to the monitor necessary.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6692 posts
6350 upvotes
Ottawa
ChubChub wrote: Point cloud alignment; everything always looks misaligned. Having two CAD windows open + Excel/PDF/whatever ... I need to be too close to be able to see what I need to see, and when I'm that close, it's too far side-to-side. The resolution just doesn't make sense for how far you have to be from the screen to make the size make sense, and lowering resolution to non-native looks like garbage, obviously. So, I only use 2/3 of the screen most of the time. CAD software (FARO/Leica/Autodesk/NX) doesn't play well with screen scaling either (yet), so that's not an option.

Everyone at the office hated this monitor, so I got stuck with it. I use 6x 24" monitors in "my" office (where I actually get work done, unfortunately I am never in there anymore), but 75% of the time I'm on this thing.

Maybe my issue is I do too much "fine detail" work, making being close to the monitor necessary.
Ah gotcha, makes sense from that pov. As a developer/PM i love it
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12164 posts
6013 upvotes
Pictures on amazon look good but in person not so much.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1092 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
I need an OLED TV/Monitor in my life.
Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | Intel i7-4770K | 16GB Kingston HyperX Predator | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080 | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | LG GL83A-B| Schiit Modi 3 + Vali 2 & Senn HD600
[OP]
Aug 6, 2021
29 posts
21 upvotes
Konowl wrote: Yeah same. Have mine on an arm on a sit stand and I can't imagine going back to 2 27s
Curious, do you mind sharing the arm you use? I've heard this monitor is very heavy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6692 posts
6350 upvotes
Ottawa
EnigmaEntity wrote: Curious, do you mind sharing the arm you use? I've heard this monitor is very heavy.
Ergotron HR i believe it was.