Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor $1,298

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2022 9:03 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2008
393 posts
43 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor $1,298

Appears to be an ATL according to the herd of desert animals. Eligible for free shipping with Prime.

Note that this is not the Neo G9, which is on sale at $1,999 (from $2,499).
24 replies
Aug 5, 2011
695 posts
417 upvotes
fishwallop wrote: Appears to be an ATL according to the herd of desert animals. Eligible for free shipping with Prime.

Note that this is not the Neo G9, which is on sale at $1,999 (from $2,499).
What's the difference between the two?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2008
393 posts
43 upvotes
The Neo has Mini LED backlighting, so it gets brighter and has much better local dimming. It also has HDMI 2.1 inputs, which supports a higher refresh rate over HDMI compared to the G9's HDMI 2.0. Accordingly, the Neo is more expensive (and, at the moment, not on sale at an ATL).
Jan 15, 2019
127 posts
296 upvotes
This monitor sucks. HDR is terrible, it won't wake up sometimes even after plenty of hardware updates, adding two different input sources bugs out half the time when you turn it on, it's just awful. Also, it is very, very heavy.

I couldn't bear it for 2 weeks and just returned it.
Dec 22, 2010
628 posts
599 upvotes
Ontario
pythonbullocks wrote: This monitor sucks. HDR is terrible, it won't wake up sometimes even after plenty of hardware updates, adding two different input sources bugs out half the time when you turn it on, it's just awful. Also, it is very, very heavy.

After all the hardware updates, it's gotta be very heavy. Good price though.
Jan 15, 2019
127 posts
296 upvotes
testmann wrote: After all the hardware updates, it's gotta be very heavy. Good price though.
Sorry I meant firmware. I had just woken up. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1672 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
Constellation wrote: Flicker and bug city
Soo many people still use it though, it can't be every unit is bad on a product this expensive or it would have stopped production long ago due to return rate? It's not new?
Feb 24, 2021
44 posts
48 upvotes
flicker only happens with G-sync, turn it off and monitor is fine. Deal keeps happening alot due to newer models that came out thats far better but more pricy
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1672 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
rambo13 wrote: flicker only happens with G-sync, turn it off and monitor is fine. Deal keeps happening alot due to newer models that came out thats far better but more pricy
I'm amd and will be for the foreseeable future, is there any issue with freesync?

I get that here performance is better on the new, but it's $700 more on sale right now... I can buy a whole gpu for that difference.
Feb 24, 2021
44 posts
48 upvotes
Honestly I'm using it for work. I have not tried Freesync. Only tested G-sync with Xbox Series X for gaming.

Its too big for a PC gaming monitor, i prefer my 22" monitor for gaming.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1672 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
rambo13 wrote: Honestly I'm using it for work. I have not tried Freesync. Only tested G-sync with Xbox Series X for gaming.

Its too big for a PC gaming monitor, i prefer my 22" monitor for gaming.
Ah OK.

Isn't it quite a pricy one for work lol? No need for 240hz is there?

Must be nice for productivity 3x wide panels tho.
Nov 23, 2001
727 posts
204 upvotes
pythonbullocks wrote: This monitor sucks. HDR is terrible, it won't wake up sometimes even after plenty of hardware updates, adding two different input sources bugs out half the time when you turn it on, it's just awful. Also, it is very, very heavy.

I'm so on the fence that I haven't opened the box of mine yet. I'm running an Alienware 38 right now and bought the G9 from Costco on an impulse.
The weight is something though. I would have to forego my monitor arm and use the stand.
Your comments as well as others is making me think of returning it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2208 posts
726 upvotes
Ottawa

Good call Thumbs Up Sign

Mine did the same thing and after two years the power supply failed. Once I replaced it with a new power supply the issue completely disappeared….. which I believe means the turning on issue is a sign of a faulty power supply that will eventually fail.

These monitors have terrible terrible QA. You might get a great unit or a lemon.
Aug 8, 2005
718 posts
147 upvotes
Montreal
Got a perfect one from best buy geek quad for 1100$. No dead pixel, flickering ... But its vertical is quite small for coding. Will return it.
Dec 7, 2013
878 posts
867 upvotes
Quebec
shiny wrote: Got a perfect one from best buy geek quad for 1100$. No dead pixel, flickering ... But its vertical is quite small for coding. Will return it.
That's a strange reason to return the monitor. For coding you should be using a 24 or 27" screen in vertical mode. next to your main screen.
Nov 26, 2018
237 posts
230 upvotes
Rural AB
I'll be the minority, have had mine for almost 2 years without any issues, love it.
Jul 18, 2015
278 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Fularu wrote: That's a strange reason to return the monitor. For coding you should be using a 24 or 27" screen in vertical mode. next to your main screen.
He's gonna put a vertical to the side of a 49"??