Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 8:35 pm
Feb 15, 2009
908 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
juched wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:33 pm
I have also recently switched from OpenHAB (used for 2 years) to Home Assistant. Both good but HA is great, works with my envisalink and blurs the line between my systems well.

Thinking of getting a smart things hub just to run zwave and zigbee. I have a wink 1 hub to do that now but relying on the Internet isn’t desirable. Being all a local like smart things with an Mqtt broker would be better.

Hmm.
Wink is supposedly local straight out of the box as opposed to the smart things which is not. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a wink 1 hub and setup home assistant a while ago. seems to work just fine thru home assistant. Works just as fast as the wink app.
Feb 15, 2009
908 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
crustydragon wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:03 pm
I have the ST hub and it works ok but most things run through the cloud so looking at a local solution for which there are options. Any one here use Home Assistant? Doesn’t seem too hard and there is an active community but need to buy a server like the RaspberryPi to install the software to make it work.

Thanks!
You don't need a RaspberryPi. You can install it on anything really. I just bought a RaspberryPi and setup home assistant and now wondering if I should install it on a PC to get more power.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2760 posts
2157 upvotes
Wiseman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 9:19 am
Did a quick search and found this on smartthings forum posted in November 2018:

"There is new firmware release just 2 days ago for Samsung home connect pro version 22.52 I’m going to confirm that all xiaomi device working with new firmware no connection drop I am testing since 2 days there’s no problems so far everything was fine all device without any issue no connection drop"

I don't have any xiaomi sensors to confirm this.
That's for the connect home pro, not the connect home.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1006 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
dogbolter wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 9:36 am
I was looking for a full kit and noticed this one on the .COM site:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThi ... 4425685011

Includes hub, two muti-sensors, one motion and one outlet.

Shipped to Canada for $205CDN with possibly $11 shipping waived if Prime member (YMMV).
I'm new to all of this, but this looks like a great deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4028 posts
699 upvotes
Wat
repatch wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 11:21 am
That's for the connect home pro, not the connect home.
I'm conjecturing it may be the same for the connect home as well as both it and home pro received a firmware update in November. I'm tempted to just buy a xiaomi sensor to test if it is indeed working.

Doing some searching on the smart things community, I see reports of people saying xiaomi sensors work fine with connect home.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1090 posts
141 upvotes
tatung wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 10:41 am
You don't need a RaspberryPi. You can install it on anything really. I just bought a RaspberryPi and setup home assistant and now wondering if I should install it on a PC to get more power.
More power to do more processing? Are you noticing delays in your Home Assistant home automation with RaspberryPi?
Sep 13, 2015
685 posts
594 upvotes
Alberta
I just received my hub and setup my wemo plug that I've modded with a relay to control my gas fireplace. I can now use the dedicated home control buttons on my new UK harmony elite remote to turn my fireplace on/off. I've been using google assistant with voice commands to do this previous, but I like having a button for it too...
Feb 15, 2009
908 posts
180 upvotes
Winnipeg
crustydragon wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:04 pm
More power to do more processing? Are you noticing delays in your Home Assistant home automation with RaspberryPi?
I haven't tried this yet, but for example video. Airplay to Google cast.
Aug 11, 2008
806 posts
190 upvotes
I got good deal on connect pro ac2600 (ET-WV530). After hub firmware update, i see software version WV530XXU2ARK1 and ver.1.6.04.45034 for WiFi Hub part. Where I check for this 22.52 version?
I also received Hub v3 from amazon today even it suppose to be ship in March, So if anyone wants to pick up at cost in Edmonton let me know before i return it next week.
Wiseman wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 9:19 am
Did a quick search and found this on smartthings forum posted in November 2018:

"There is new firmware release just 2 days ago for Samsung home connect pro version 22.52 I’m going to confirm that all xiaomi device working with new firmware no connection drop I am testing since 2 days there’s no problems so far everything was fine all device without any issue no connection drop"

I don't have any xiaomi sensors to confirm this.
Jun 3, 2016
151 posts
42 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
Lush78 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 12:43 pm
I just received my hub and setup my wemo plug that I've modded with a relay to control my gas fireplace. I can now use the dedicated home control buttons on my new UK harmony elite remote to turn my fireplace on/off. I've been using google assistant with voice commands to do this previous, but I like having a button for it too...
Have you connected it as a 3-way or the actual fireplace switch and wemo switch are independent?
With time, everything will go on sale...
Sep 13, 2015
685 posts
594 upvotes
Alberta
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 1:18 pm
Have you connected it as a 3-way or the actual fireplace switch and wemo switch are independent?
Its a wemo smart plug. I've connected it to the receptacle under my fireplace and use it to energize the coil of a relay and close the contacts for the gas valve. Works perfect.
Jul 5, 2017
27 posts
46 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:08 am
I suggest you sell or give away your $5 bulbs. I think light bulbs are not a long term solution since the bulb will eventually burn out. You’re better off using light switches WiFi or otherwise. Sonoff with Tasmota are very popular and integrates with Home Assistant easily. I am sure there is a component for Wink native to Home Assistant but you will need the ZigBee antenna.
The bulbs I got have an adjustable colour temperature range which I really want to use in my automation setup. Also one light switch costs as much as the 8 or so bulbs I bought. I have 2 basic sonoffs which I modified to 3 channel and temperature sensing and use ESPurna which I couldn't be happier with. I've tried Tasmota for my initial projects but it wasn't as flexible as ESPurna.

There is this stick called Linear HUSBZB-1 on Amazon for 105$ which can do both Zigbee and Z-wave, I've been thinking of it, but apart from the cloud difference, the Smartthings looks like the more economic and robust solution (for now) I'll be using the MQTT method to connect it. And I have 3 wifi devices which do all my sensors and basic control but don't want to crowd the wifi router with wifi bulbs and single function switches.

My stick is only Z-Wave, it will not help you. If you want to use your existing investment, a SmartThings hub might be the cheapest solution. You can use SmartThings to pass states to Home Assisstant and use it as a main controller.

The WiFi devices can talk to Home Assistant natively and does not need to go through SmartThings
Gee wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 4:08 am
I don’t use IFTTT. You basically have to set up a google project and give google access to your Home Assistant
Do you have a link I could follow? I've tried so many methods with no luck other than the IFTTT

Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8551 posts
1635 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Tempting...I bought a Wink Hub v1 for $10, working OK except some difficulties with pairing and got a lemon (Lutron radio was kaput) at first which was replaced under warranty.

If i get the ST, i can have CH and more options with my Inovelli dimmers but I won't be able to use my Lutron...unless I also keep the Wink hub.

How's the Schlage Connect integration? Can you adjust options/set PINs and see when it's locked/unlocked by whom?
Sep 13, 2015
685 posts
594 upvotes
Alberta
I'm new to smartthings. how do I add tp-link kasa, nest, august to this hub? I see they are not officially supported, but are there workarounds? are they worth the hassle to setup and maintain unofficially?