Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2019 6:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7986 posts
2695 upvotes
Toronto
How come the app still isn't available in the Play Store for the NVIDIA?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1664 posts
838 upvotes
Genuine question: I never really understood the need for this hub if I already have a Google Assistant with routines set? Is this really just to have one app instead of multiple?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1998 posts
1073 upvotes
Montreal
Tapout123 wrote: I have a V2 and am currently going through all sorts of pains getting a Xiaomi product to work (water sensor specifically), but even if they do work, they are not supported in Google Home, so if you want to manage the connected devices through GH, you'll need to buy the actual Samsung (or other "supported") switches and plugs. If I had to do it all again, I'm not sure I'd have gone down the Samsung road.
you need to set up custom Xiaomi handlers for it to work. Did you do that?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3495 posts
847 upvotes
Home
Elrondolio wrote: Yes, here's some more info on Ring integration and here's a link to all the devices Smartthings can integrate with. As the linked article highlights, the best use of a hub like this is to create custom automation routines that interact will all linked devices under the Smartthings umbrella. This is what brings the "smart" to smart home in my experience as having all these devices actions respond to other devices actions or triggers is invaluable.
Thanks! I am really interested to try...but it says 'usually ships within 1-3 months'....what??
Jan 16, 2007
899 posts
815 upvotes
moofur wrote: Genuine question: I never really understood the need for this hub if I already have a Google Assistant with routines set? Is this really just to have one app instead of multiple?
Hubs provide an interface to other technologies (such as Zigbee and Z-Wave), so it all depends on your hardware on whether it is needed. They also usually provide more flexibility and control - sometimes even executing local instead of cloud based solutions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1154 posts
1801 upvotes
moofur wrote: Genuine question: I never really understood the need for this hub if I already have a Google Assistant with routines set? Is this really just to have one app instead of multiple?
As stated in a previous reply, this hub controls Zigbee, Z-Wave and many IP devices without which they'd be useless (without their own hubs, etc). This includes everything from security cameras to door or motion sensors to electrical outlets, lighting and so much more. The main feature for me, however, is integration between all smart devices. Individually each devices is great for what they do but when you integrate them all together thats where the automation and "smart" comes in to a smart home.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1154 posts
1801 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: Thanks! I am really interested to try...but it says 'usually ships within 1-3 months'....what??
Not sure why you're seeing that. Just checked mine ordered about an hour ago and it says delivery by "Jan. 22 2019 - Jan. 24 2019"

Edit: added a link in the original post to an alternative sale at the Z-Wave shop for the same price, in case the delivery date remains untenable.
Last edited by Elrondolio on Jan 16th, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2097 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
Variability wrote: How come the app still isn't available in the Play Store for the NVIDIA?
I believe it's only available in the US Play Store. I've got it on my Shield since I've got the Shield Link for SmartThings, but I also got my Shield from the US when it launched and have a US Play Store account registered on the device.
Feb 2, 2010
803 posts
596 upvotes
Cambridge
badass wrote: I’m pairing my Samsung Connect with water leak detectors(temperature indicator as well), Schlage lock set, Ecosmart RGB bulbs and hopefully now couple of motion sensors.
Cheers!
What brand of water leak detectors did you use? Can you integrate them with IFTTT to create alerts?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3305 posts
1206 upvotes
Brampton
Good price
Was looking into it when I first started my home automation project (about 3 months ago) till I saw it didn't support nest
Just went for another rfd recommended hub
Samsung Gear S3 - $170 / Dji osmo mobile 2 - $70

Trades:
Samsung buds+, any 8" android tablet, any 5.5"+ phone, surface go, surface pen or similar
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1227 posts
299 upvotes
terry0703 wrote: Would this be able to connect Google Home and Ring?
Here, it works with both:
https://www.samsung.com/ca/smart-things ... s_20180112

I really don't need and want Alexa, I already have Google Home at home, and my doorbell and alarm system are Ring.
If your more expensive smart home stuff is Ring you should go Alexa and FireTV if you want maximum compatibility. If you want to use Google Home, then would go with the Nest Hello and Nest Secure.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3495 posts
847 upvotes
Home
tatung wrote: If your more expensive smart home stuff is Ring you should go Alexa and FireTV if you want maximum compatibility. If you want to use Google Home, then would go with the Nest Hello and Nest Secure.
Nest Hello is fine, but Nest Secure is just too expensive for what it offers.
Ring offers USD$100/yr for 60 days of cloud storage for unlimited # of devices (per location, and I have 2 bells) + professional 24/7 monitoring for alarm. Unbeatable price.
However all my other devices are optimized for Google Assistant/Home integration. I don't want to abandon either of them.
Last edited by terry0703 on Jan 16th, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3495 posts
847 upvotes
Home
Elrondolio wrote: Not sure why you're seeing that. Just checked mine ordered about an hour ago and it says delivery by "Jan. 22 2019 - Jan. 24 2019"

Edit: added a link in the original post to an alternative sale at the Z-Wave shop for the same price, in case the delivery date remains untenable.
I wish I can upload the screenshot quickly somewhere.
It still says:

CDN$ 79.99
& FREE Shipping. Details
Usually ships within 1 to 3 months.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available.

Maybe because I'm not a prime member?