Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3738 posts
3274 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:39 pm
Tp link Kasa sucks (wifi only bs)
Wow, the hate is strong in this guy....

FWIW I have 14 Kasa switches/plugs, only reason I don't have more is I can't find more places that justify adding one. They are fantastic pieces of hardware, you forget you have them since they just work. And, they are CHEAPER then hub requiring options. Only downside is they need a neutral, which is a non starter for some people.

Calm down a bit. Stop with the FUD.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2473 posts
1897 upvotes
Oakville
repatch wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 7:36 am

FWIW I have 14 Kasa switches/plugs, only reason I don't have more is I can't find more places that justify adding one. They are fantastic pieces of hardware, you forget you have them since they just work. And, they are CHEAPER then hub requiring options. Only downside is they need a neutral, which is a non starter for some people.

I have a pair I got for $90 for two of them and the fantastic thing about them is you can do a three way switch with each unit in the pair. However they are far from smart and failing to be integrated natively with most hubs makes them useless.

Everyone jumping on the automation vandwaggon and going for three wifi only options will regret it especially since it takes a lot of effort to install a switch vs just a olig and play device.

You'll feel the pain when you visit a properly automated home, to see what you're missing out on.

Otherwise the kasa are very reliable and excellent price.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Dec 25, 2012
622 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:

Do you have wifi issues with that many switches and I assume other wifi devices?
JS
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3125 posts
803 upvotes
Mississauga
repatch wrote:

Like anything else Wifi switches and plugs (i.e. TP link Kasa, Wemo, etc) are all very good for turning lights/switches on and off with their app or even integrating with Smartthings via custom DTH...that said, if you are playing the HA long game, I'd stay away from Wifi connected devices and stick to z-wave which operate in the 800-900mhz range where there is less interference and talk to each other to form a mesh network. WiFi lacks this functionality which may cause you headaches down the road. Just my $0.02.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3738 posts
3274 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:38 am
Do you have wifi issues with that many switches and I assume other wifi devices?
No. This is a piece of recurring FUD regurgitated by people that seem to have no real experience (and when challenged to provide evidence magically disappear).

If your AP has issues with a few dozen devices your AP is garbage, get a new one.

I'm just using the crappy AP in my Bell supplied DSL modem, according to it I have 40 devices connected right now, zero issues.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1212 posts
163 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 11:24 pm
Tom's Guide review said that besides being no support for Nest and August, it also lacking support for TP-Link Kass line ... that sucks as all my light switches and receptible blocks are Kasa ... any work around?

Tom's Guide Review
I believe there are custom handlers for TP-Link switches and plugs:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/rel ... ion/142507
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3738 posts
3274 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:26 am
I have a pair I got for $90 for two of them and the fantastic thing about them is you can do a three way switch with each unit in the pair. However they are far from smart and failing to be integrated natively with most hubs makes them useless.

Everyone jumping on the automation vandwaggon and going for three wifi only options will regret it especially since it takes a lot of effort to install a switch vs just a olig and play device.

You'll feel the pain when you visit a properly automated home, to see what you're missing out on.

Otherwise the kasa are very reliable and excellent price.
You do realize that if you WANT to integrate the Kasa switches into ST there is a 3rd party plugin that lets you do that?

For me, I've had zero reason to want to even do that, and I have an unused ST hub sitting on a shelf. Not everybody has the exact same idea of what 'smart home' functionality they want as you do.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3738 posts
3274 upvotes
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:29 am
Like anything else Wifi switches and plugs (i.e. TP link Kasa, Wemo, etc) are all very good for turning lights/switches on and off with their app or even integrating with Smartthings via custom DTH...that said, if you are playing the HA long game, I'd stay away from Wifi connected devices and stick to z-wave which operate in the 800-900mhz range where there is less interference and talk to each other to form a mesh network. WiFi lacks this functionality which may cause you headaches down the road. Just my $0.02.
Grrr, the 'interference' FUD again... How big is your home? 2.4GHz Wifi goes a LONG way, way further then pretty much everybody reading this post needs for smart home devices.

Look go with what you want, just stick to real facts.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4163 posts
815 upvotes
Wat
James Stonehenge wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 8:38 am
I currently have 19 and no issues. Planning to add 7 more.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1633 posts
231 upvotes
Alberta
Debating about switching from Vera. I get the Vera is local control (not cloud reliant), but because it doesn't play nice/easily with Google Home and Hue, I'm tempted to get the SmartThings to unite my 2 systems.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3125 posts
803 upvotes
Mississauga
repatch wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:53 am
Grrr, the 'interference' FUD again... How big is your home? 2.4GHz Wifi goes a LONG way, way further then pretty much everybody reading this post needs for smart home devices.

The size of the home isn't the issue (at least not for me). I have 56 zigbee/zwave devices (including motion sensors in every room and contact sensors in every door and window. I also have 4 WeMo switches and 3 TP-Link Kasa plugs and I find that it's these devices which go offline in ST. I can control them in their native app without issues. Which is great, but my problem is that my lighting, locks, garage, basically everything is automated via Webcore to the point where I don't have to touch any switch but when these WiFi devices drop off ST, the automation fails. I have other Wifi conected devices such as ecobee and harmony hub...but these have never caused me grief. Just the wemo and kasa plugs. And re-setting/re-adding them in ST means I have to update all of the Webcore scripts they are exposed to....which is a PIA
Last edited by Tig on Jan 17th, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2011
226 posts
174 upvotes
Calgary
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:58 am
...including motion sensors in every room and contact sensors in every door and window.
Do you have glass breakage sensor on windows as well?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3125 posts
803 upvotes
Mississauga
wolandca wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:23 am
Do you have glass breakage sensor on windows as well?
I didn't even know there was such a thing! But to answer your question, no. Just contact sensors which arm when the home goes into sleep, away or vacation mode and let me know if any are open. I also have an automation where alexa let's me know if any are open when I turn the AC on via custom Smartthings DTH called 'echo speaks'
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28784 posts
14595 upvotes
Ottawa
repatch wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:53 am

Yeah, that FUD seems to come up all the time.
Most of my 24 sensors are zigbee and pretty much all of my wireless devices are on the 2.4Ghz frequency also.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3125 posts
803 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:35 am
Yeah, that FUD seems to come up all the time.
Most of my 24 sensors are zigbee and pretty much all of my wireless devices are on the 2.4Ghz frequency also.
@vkizzle - do you ever have your Wifi devices become unavailable in ST and what do you do? And if you're forced to reset/re-add them to ST. have you found any workaround to ensure that the device name persists in Webcore so that you didn't have to go back into each piston that calls is and re-select the device.
Last edited by Tig on Jan 17th, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.