Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 - $79.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 12:20 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11936 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:31 am
I didn't even know there was such a thing! But to answer your question, no. Just contact sensors which arm when the home goes into sleep, away or vacation mode and let me know if any are open. I also have an automation where alexa let's me know if any are open when I turn the AC on via custom Smartthings DTH called 'echo speaks'
'Echo Speaks' looks interesting... I assume you'll be able to use the Echo speakers to play a siren sound if the SHM detects an intruder alarm?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27427 posts
13351 upvotes
Ottawa
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:52 am
@vkizzle - do you ever have your Wifi devices become unavailable in ST and what do you do? And if you're forced to reset/re-add them to ST. have you found any workaround to ensure that the device name persists in Webcore so that you didn't have to go back into each script that calls is and re-select the device.
All of my HA devices are zigbee.
In regards to wifi devices, I'm referring to mobile phones, tablets, computers, laptops and tvs.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:55 am
'Echo Speaks' looks interesting... I assume you'll be able to use the Echo speakers to play a siren sound if the SHM detects an intruder alarm?
The way it works is that the echo speaks DTH instantiates a set of custom commands that you can pass a string parameter to when calling it. The commands include, "searchMusic", "searchAmazonMusic", "searchPandora", "searchSpotify", "searchTuneIn". Those are the ones I remember, but there may be more.

So for example, the code would look something like this:

with livingRoomEcho
do
searchSpotify("somePlaylistorArtist")
end with

In your case, you'd find a siren sound and use one of the above commands to call it.

You can also get Alexa to talk via the speakText command. It would look like this Speaktext("something"). But the cool thing is that you can pass a random string as well: speakText(random("something1", "something2,"something3","something4")). I use this to get alexa to make random smart ass greetings to my wife when she comes home and triggers the mud room or foyer sensor.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:57 am
All of my HA devices are zigbee.
In regards to wifi devices, I'm referring to mobile phones, tablets, computers, laptops and tvs.
those I don't have issues with either. It's just the wemo wifi switches that drop off ST sometimes. The only thing that's stopping me from replacing them with zigbee/zwave switches is laziness.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27427 posts
13351 upvotes
Ottawa
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:15 pm
those I don't have issues with either. It's just the wemo wifi switches that drop off ST sometimes. The only thing that's stopping me from replacing them with zigbee/zwave switches is laziness.
Zigbee or Z-wave, which ever is on sale is the only consideration for me.
2.4Ghz congestion issues, is really a non-issue!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:36 pm
Zigbee or Z-wave, which ever is on sale is the only consideration for me.
2.4Ghz congestion issues, is really a non-issue!
I don't think congestion is the issue (at least not for me), since I always have control of the switches within the native app. It's the link with ST that is prone to failure. Who knows, it could be the ST handler or I just ended up with a few lemons. My cheap xiaomi sensors are rock solid and I've yet to replace a coin battery and some of them are 2yrs old!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27427 posts
13351 upvotes
Ottawa
Tig wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:45 pm
I don't think congestion is the issue (at least not for me), since I always have control of the switches within the native app. It's the link with ST that is prone to failure. Who knows, it could be the ST handler or I just ended up with a few lemons. My cheap xiaomi sensors are rock solid and I've yet to replace a coin battery and some of them are 2yrs old!
+1 for the Xiaomi sensors, as none have dropped off on my setup either.
May 31, 2005
205 posts
245 upvotes
As per OP this is now shipping from Amazon at a later date but it's also available at not only The Source, but at Lowes as well for $79.99 shipping the next day.
Last edited by dimsumboi on Jan 17th, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11936 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:49 pm
+1 for the Xiaomi sensors, as none have dropped off on my setup either.
My only issue with Xiaomi sensors is the round temperature/humidity sensor. I have one setup in the house (in my server room) and it recently became unavailable in ST so I replaced the battery and reset it but I've been having a hell of a time trying to get it going again. I even deleted the device and start from scratch. Not sure if it's ST's issue or the device itself. I've tried re-adding it based on the catchall method but to no avail.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27427 posts
13351 upvotes
Ottawa
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:56 pm
My only issue with Xiaomi sensors is the round temperature/humidity sensor. I have one setup in the house (in my server room) and it recently became unavailable in ST so I replaced the battery and reset it but I've been having a hell of a time trying to get it going again. I even deleted the device and start from scratch. Not sure if it's ST's issue or the device itself. I've tried re-adding it based on the catchall method but to no avail.
Lol, that temp/humdiity sensor and the water sensor was a PITA to add.
Mine hasn't dropped off yet and the further one is in the basement beside the hot water tank.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:56 pm
I have a xiaomi temp/humidity sensor as well. Have not had any issues with it. Based on what you wrote, it seems that you've covered all of the possible troubleshooting. I assume that you've done the catchall method enough times to be able to do it consistently? if so, then yeah, Id say that it might be toast.
Last edited by Tig on Jan 17th, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2030 posts
1376 upvotes
SW Ontario
dimsumboi wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:49 pm
As per OP this is now OOS at Amazon but also available at not only The Source, but Lowes also has it available to be shipped at $79.99.
Nope ... I just finally ordered one thru Amazon without any issues other than a delivery date in February at the moment.
Used Ebates for 8% CB ...

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3093 posts
759 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:58 pm
Lol, that temp/humdiity sensor and the water sensor was a PITA to add.
Mine hasn't dropped off yet and the further one is in the basement beside the hot water tank.
yeah, the water sensor was the hardest for me as well...and I've got it by the water tank too lol. They were on sale a few months ago and I almost got a whole bunch to put under the toilet in each washroom, but I didn't feel like going through the damn setup again lol
May 31, 2005
205 posts
245 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:05 pm
Nope ... I just finally ordered one thru Amazon without any issues other than a delivery date in February at the moment.
Used Ebates for 8% CB ...

Thanks OP
You're right. Sorry I meant for those who didn't want to wait for a later shipping date. Lowes and Source seem to be shipping as if it's in stock i.e. next day.